Sign in to follow this  
kyosho1

Any thoughts if Leonis DB02 has the makings of a sought after classic

Leonis DB02 is a short lived once off model.

I can only think of one other model with this fate - the Fox 

Will we appreciate DB02 in the distant future?

There is not much story around it’s conception. 

Somehow, I don't think the "off-TRF" models (DN01/DB01/DB02) will be that sought after going forward.  If there weren't corresponding TRF models, then I would probably say yes...

I think the DB02 Leonis suffered from too much weight and some early durability issues, at least with the rear prop shaft due to the angle to clear the battery.  There was an upgraded rear prop shaft released relatively quickly.  There wasn't much chatter or acceptance of the kit from the start.  It was a point in history where there was no love from the Tamiya-nati for cab-forward Lexan buggy bodies.  It went to closeout pricing relatively quickly in the USA and is discontinued.

It was the same situation with the DN01 Zahhak; it seemed like many people didn't like the body or box art scheme.  The cost to upgrade it didn't make sense in general when 1st-gen TRF201 kits were being sold at bargain prices.

The DB01 proved to be a little more popular with Durga, Baldre, R, RR, and RRR kits released.  If any of these three were to become a future classic, the DB01 might simply because there were enough kit iterations; this implies there were enough sales for Tamiya to keep making more of them.  Enough people might remember them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

DN01 Zahhak; it seemed like many people didn't like the body or box art scheme.

This is why Tamiya's box art is so important.  When it was wearing pink, I didn't even look twice; "what? who wants pink?" 

The wheels are actually white.  So why are they pink in the box art?  

KEzM80U.jpg

Then I saw Tamiya Club member Funracer had done this (below). I thought, "wow, what is that?" And I bought it.  I think Zahhak can sell well even now, if they re-issue it with a better color scheme.  It's a very good 2WD buggy.  

zbcJTdo.jpg

I only have DB01 (which is waiting for a belt), but below is a running video of DB02.  

Below shows a bit of a trouble NorticRC ran into when building it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Juggular said:

This is why Tamiya's box art is so important.  When it was wearing pink, I didn't even look twice; "what? who wants pink?" 

The wheels are actually white.  So why are they pink in the box art? 

The actual reason is that the DN-01 Zahhak (58477) came with pink wheels on the domestic market and got white wheels for export. 

That explains both the question about the boxart and who wants pink. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 1:12 AM, Mokei Kagaku said:

The actual reason is that the DN-01 Zahhak (58477) came with pink wheels on the domestic market and got white wheels for export. 

That explains both the question about the boxart and who wants pink. :rolleyes:

My Mother.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ACCEL said:

My Mother.

lol... 

my mom has always liked purple.  

hmmm... that's actually better than pink.  

jYKK66R.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Juggular said:

lol... 

my mom has always liked purple.  

hmmm... that's actually better than pink.  

jYKK66R.jpg

I like grapes and purple parts came with my Shuey Miv2, even ordered a Power HD purple Storm 7 for it. i'd use my Trinity D3  but it's in my RB6 and this kit is for VTA.

• Haha 1