Sign in to follow this  
graemevw

Alternative buggy bodies for frog

Having idle thoughts about turning my ORV into a buggy, will end up basically being a frog but with twin front shocks. Ive never been that keen on the frog body though. Can anything else be made to fit reasonably? Hornet maybe?

It's not easy, with the ORV chassis being such a weird shape. Most buggy bodies will end up looking sort of perched on top of the chassis, instead of fitting down over it. I did once have a Funco-style body (Rough Rider-ish) that was made for an RC10, that fit a Frog with some creative trimming. I think it was from Bolink, so you'd have to hit eBay to see if you can still find one.

Otherwise, there's always the Beetle option...

• Like 1

I want to keep it buggy.

The chassis shape will make it awkward, hornet was the closest i could think of. 

The frog body looks perched on top to me to start with, that and too narrow to my eyes.

As I've mentioned in the past, I have always wondered if a buggy version was actually on the design table when the ORV was first conceived. The ORV was the replacement for the SRB. The first two iterations of the chassis were full bodied cars. It seemed to me that, at one point, the the decision to make a competition version of the chassis led to not only the lexan buggy body being designed for its odd chassis shape (which doesn't lend itself to a buggy body very well) but also the diff in the gearbox. Here's a gearbox with smallish internals and the diff parts are made so small, they had to be one-piece (shafts and bevels) pot metal castings. In contrast, the Wild Willy's drivetrain was obviously designed with a diff in mind, birthing the incredibly durable Hornet/Lunch Box diff. 

• Thanks 1

What if the Brat & Lancia were intended to carry on from the Sand Rover & Holiday Buggy, with its 380 & no diff? :)

Even the SRBs had oil shocks.

6 hours ago, graemevw said:

I want to keep it buggy.

The chassis shape will make it awkward, hornet was the closest i could think of. 

The frog body looks perched on top to me to start with, that and too narrow to my eyes.

BiTD in Frog's primetime there were a swag of compatible bodies by 3rd parties from Parma to Dahms. Don't see them much anymore. 

Not a huge fan of Frog, thought Brat was too old looking... surprisingly the Stadium Raider shell fits very well :)

DSC03379.jpg

DSC02407-640.jpg

• Like 1

Parma made 2 bodies specifically for the Frog:  the Frog Jumper body and Chenowth body. Both are extremely rare and I’ve never seen either NIB...

Terry

5 hours ago, WillyChang said:

BiTD in Frog's primetime there were a swag of compatible bodies by 3rd parties from Parma to Dahms. Don't see them much anymore. 

Not a huge fan of Frog, thought Brat was too old looking... surprisingly the Stadium Raider shell fits very well :)

DSC03379.jpg

DSC02407-640.jpg

Oh wow, that's interesting.  That's not an ORV.  

It's got a custom 4-link suspension.  With a gearbox from Grasshopper?  I wonder if it offered any advantage over the traditional ORV chassis. 

32 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Oh wow, that's interesting.  That's not an ORV.  

It's got a custom 4-link suspension.  With a gearbox from Grasshopper?  I wonder if it offered any advantage over the traditional ORV chassis. 

Bombproof gearbox? That's got me intrigued as I have an old frog that's been rebuilt with all sorts of parts (re-re bits etc and a blue chassis) but I also have a gearbox from my old grasshopper - pretty much the only remaining part - grasshopper chassis is long gone :( 

• Like 1

I had a Frog back in the 80s and custom fitted the Boomerang's body and made a separate stay for the rear wing.

• Like 1