Hobgoblin

Tamiya 58044 mitsubishi pajero

Hi all, 

A local who I've had RC bits off in the past sent me a message a while back asking if I wanted another of his cars. It's a novel little original car, underloved by the masses it seems and perhaps deservedly so. However the price was right and I saw the opportunity to have some fun fixing it up.  Sellers image:

ifzy4mn.jpg

My boss is picking the car up as I type. Hopefully once Easter celebration is over I can begin making a full checklist and putting together a shopping basket. I think I'm going to strip the body back and go box art with some MCI decals. I might pick up a rere Montero body to muck around with though. First thing will be a full strip and ultra sonic clean. 

The overall plan is faux vintage. A new kind of techno-blasphemy where I will be trying to keep the vintage internal look (MSC, 27mhz gigantic RC and a Tamiya battery) but hiding modern gear in an attempt to end up with something a bit more functional. MSC may look quite cool but as far as I'm concerned they have two speeds: On and On Fire. 

I'm torn between fitting ampro light buckets and keeping it stock. Flip of a coin when I come to it. Maybe something for a spares body!

Thanks, H

• Like 2

I do like these, though never had the opportunity to pick one up when I was most interested. You may recall TC member IBIFTKH's version on a stretched WR-02:

img34614_13082014170636_3_1100_.jpg

Looking back, I guess by the time I could get the re-release, I was no longer keen on the chassis specs. I still think they are neat little cars, though - as such, I look forward to following along with your rebuild/restoration!

• Like 2

Yknow that looks pretty ace in silver! Now it's going to be harder to go box art!

• Haha 1

Great little trucks these . I've had a couple of them . This one I built with a virtually destroyed vintage shell that I saved from the bin , then I modded the chassis to the Montero style

Standard chassis:-

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=88270&id=5280

Montero style chassis:-

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=125666&id=5280

• Like 2

Yay, a Pajero saved.  

I did all kinds of acrobatics to fit oil shocks.  I think the weak point--in terms of performance--is the rigid rear axle.  Fitting Hornet axle-pivot-thingy was a bit tricky.  It also made the wheelbase a bit longer.  I'm hoping it's tolerable.  Fishing line mod still allowed the gearbox to touch the chassis, so I have a sponge on it. 

uPnpQIx.jpg

I'm going to drill out the lens and fit some cheap Chinese light buckets on the inside.  

K0LvBi8.jpg

FeH3Ym5.jpg

Silver looks nice, but I cannot bring myself to deviate from 1983 Paris-Dakar livery.  

• Like 3

So today I've had a chance to get my greasy mitts on the Pajero. I'm actually quite surprised of the size of the thing, with the short wheelbase I had expected something a bit dinky. Still getting used to the scale of things! 

XBLHiuI.jpg

It's a bit of a mixed bag but I think its a great starting point for a project to keep me entertained and happy! the most 'damage' on the car is the rather obvious crack on the front left side. I am confident I can fill, sand and paint to hide this but it nicely justifies a backup body (with a different paintjob!)The paint is okay overall, it hasn't been slathered on too thick with a brush. It will need to come off though and I am trying to track down some de solv it. Any UK based stripper suggestions? And also something to get the paint off :P 

h0E5vHF.jpg

IW9Di6N.jpg

The chassis after a dust off and a wipe down (still a big grimy). I'm honestly impressed. The motor has seen better days, and the wires certainly have but it turns fairly freely. There is an awful lot of slop from the plastic bushings which have worn down but bearings are a cheap essential replacement anyway. The white plastics that haven't been painted over have yellowed awfully, so that will be a fun one to try and refresh. The wheelie bar wheel is the worst case. The whole lot will get a strip and ultrasonic clean up to get it nice, shiny and smelling a bit more pleasant. 

EkVH6o4.jpg

The tires are actually in good condition, out of the 6 that came with it, only one has any cracked beyond use and the rest are a little brittle but okay for running. Does anyone have any tricks and tips for tire cleaning? The rims are also not beyond saving which is excellent. I think a strip, sand and polish will bring them back to life. This makes it a lot harder to not pick up a Subaru Brat kit. I would love a brat hard body for a crawler build, the wheels and tires could go for this and the rest? Well i've always wanted a Frog :) 

All in all I've got a great starting point. The only part that's missing that I could do with is one of these:
08SzPnm.png

Are they a common part you can still buy separately? does anyone have one going spare, or they could let me have some measurements so I could print my own? 

Will update again with some pics of the strip down and rebuild

PS: drift pajero is not quite on the cards 
xYqUaTN.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome little trucks, supposed to be a hoot to run.

I had a shelf Queen was a couple of years ago.

Try Screwfix for DeSolv it I’m sure I bought mine from there. 

• Thanks 1

Give the tyres a good scrub with a nail brush and soap , dry them off and give them a good coating of glycerin and put them in plastic bag for a couple of days to let it soak in , then wipe off and buff up . I've also used 1:1 car tyre dressing and a buff up in the past  .

** I've got a new A8 MSC mount you can have , just PM me your address and I'll post it to you :)

• Thanks 1

I've got a Screwfix order to pick up for works tomorrow I'll see what's about. The de solv it brand seems hard to track down these days. Got a Graff cleaner that is apparently polycarb safe coming, the brand slips my mind. 

Great advice on the tires, I will be having a crack at that to see what I can do (puts me off buying a brat for a minute!) 

That would be fantastic if you have a mount Kev, you absolute star. PM incoming! 

H

Old school Pajero, great truck! It's fascinating seeing the familiar chassis & parts and their evolution through the models. I was looking through the manual and found it cool seeing the hump battery position & how the body incorporates it, held in place with rubber bands! There were several rubber bands in this model by the look of it.

Look after the chassis tub as it is unique to the 58044 Pajero , it is similar to a LB / MP chassis tub but it has the special front body clip on it and this is not on the re-re LB / MP chassis 

Good to know guys, the chassis tub is actually in really nice condition, its got a fine layer of dust and dirt but its pretty much unmarked, no scratches!

p1ykxTy.jpg

Postman came early today. Dropped off something that's roughly 18 years older than I am  (on release dates anyway ;) ) 

I'm going to do my best to clean it up, refit some cells and mount it pride of place in the Paj. A bit sad but does anyone do repro decals for the batteries? I debated with going lipo, but then It's going to loose some of its weight and I have to then hide the balance lead somewhere and find some cells that fit, 90% sure its going to be NiMH. 

After taking a long weekend to get the 1:1 though an MOT (one advisory, you can drive off with the handbrake on!) I got to come in to a few parcels on Monday morning.  Most importantly was the MSC mount from the generous @kevtherev 

22xHAzX.jpg

Little bit of progress with the cleaning the whole lot has been taken apart and scrubbed down. The gearbox was in very good condition, all the noise looks like it came from worn bushings. All have been changed out for ball bearings and it's a very smooth gearbox. 

cvEr9S2.jpg

There's always going to be a lot of play in these steering systems but this had a lot of wobble on one side specifically. Closer inspection explained why. The nail was removed and a proper tamiya shaft stolen from a Hornet's carcass was installed. Poor hornet, someday I shall find you a back end and fix you. 

u7lfQzl.jpg

They came out pretty nice with the grime and dust off. 

d6JFKFO.jpg

Took Kev's advice with the tires and it seems to have worked really well. They feel a lot nicer even if they don't look hugely different. The rims will be my Guinea pigs for the graffiti remover. I've also decided I really really like these tires. Are there any wheels with a 12mm hex that takes them? 

A £7 ESC turned up which looks compact enough to hide somewhere.

Going to see where I am tomorrow,. hopefully I can start getting the chassis back together and maybe get stripping the body.

• Like 1

Got a few Jobs jobbed today :)

evk3OKb.jpg

Isn't technology wonderful? A touch with a Dremel and a 3700mah pack slips right into the 1200mah casing. Still got to condition the plastic on the case and get a plug Soldered on. 

IUmZzOD.jpg

I found the servo I want to use for the MSC and installed it.  Not a clue if it's period correct but I doubt it.  Got a 4.8v NiMH pack bungee'd up front as I don't own a 4x AA Rx pack. I probably won't use this, I'll keep the BEC off the ESC but I figure I'll need all the weight up front I can get! 

FQwuyXt.jpg

Gearbox, suspension and front arms are back on. I mounted up the shell of an MSC and tried to hide an ESC as much as possible. Will definitely be feeding the wires through the MSC for proper look :)

zK41arq.jpg

gE51B9e.jpg

:o don't do drugs, kids! Yes the paj is looking a bit more methed out than previously. The go graffiti (?) Remover worked pretty well, there was just such a mish mash of paint types on this model and the dark colours it was going to look worse before it gets better. Not bad for a first round. Some more brushes needed though! 

• Like 1

ESC? Where? 

vwrDjeO.jpg

I finally found a good hiding place for the ESC - inside the MSC servo. I need to order some colour correct wire to feed through the MSC and some longer battery connectors but I'm very happy with the solution.

ec4c9y4.jpg

Quite pleased with the outcome :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Now that is some slick packaging! This extra attention to running details is certainly helping this build stand out :)

• Thanks 1

Wheels together with a bit of tire lettering done. Not far off a maiden voyage :)

EkeUvKj.jpg

• Like 1

The bus of progress trundles haphazardly onward.

Backup body came and I set about filling the holes. I think these are how it mounts to the lunchbox/pumpkin chassis. Not needed for the wheelie version. 

sUyLblt.jpg

I also began to wire up the drive with colour correct silicone - I changed up to bullet connectors as I cannot abide the stock ones. 

1aYTjYa.jpg

Feeding them through the MSC. I will do the same with the battery connection when I have longer leads. 

YAZ9rjE.jpg

Looks pretty neat to be honest!  Complete enough for a test drive.

While I'm very happy I finally got it moving it drives like an actual pig. Understeer upto the eyeballs. It is surprisingly quick, quirky and overall quite enjoyable to drive. No wheelies on film - hard enough to film and drive normally - I have had it pulling them though even on a smooth concrete floor. 

Cheers! 

• Like 4

Very genius! I like what you did with the ESC hidden in the old servo acting as a dummy with the mechanical speed control. The battery mod is a nice touch too to keep the original look of the kit. Very well done!!!

Those original Pajero chassis used to break all the time back in the 80's when we bashed in the street in front of the house.  That front hinge, one hit, bam....broken again.  My friend became really good at swapping out the chassis.....kept breaking the nose tab off.

On another note, Upside Down oil shocks don't work right.....once a little bit of oil works past the O-rings, air gets in.....

On another note, I am bashing a New ReRe Lunchbox....going to "lower" it to Original Pajero ride height.....then graph the Lift Kit onto a Grasshopper.....maybe put in a LeMans 240S Brushless........Parts are so much cheaper now, with the ReRes compared to what we had to pay for parts as kids in the 80's. 

christmas 1984 this was my first Tamiya car , Frankie Goes To Hollywood was playing all over the Christmas with the power of love and I was driving one of these in the snow , I was 10 years old ,those where the days :) 

• Like 1

I think they used to put the 4 pack receiver batteries at the back for wheelie and the front for no wheelies