Stefan(2)

Whats the usual rating for a 7.2 pack these days ?

Ey gents..

Last time i ran 3000mah was about the max there was out there, 

Then you where buying a high end matched stick for a spicy price.

Lipo's where just "getting in" but not really usable on roadcars  ( plane dude's adapted faster )

yet due low stability / fire risk.   It was not that rare a pack just elected to self destruct.

So , whats like the runner / basher pack to go to these days ( no lipo, don't want to start to invest to heavy in new charging gear )

( i see them advertised now up to 5000 , but as ... well..  i did not keep up, i have no idea if there just -adds- or battery's really took another leap forward )

Sideshow..

What ever happened to Nomadio ?  they went bust or something ?   software / support seems to be really hard to find. 

I don't think there's been much R&D on NiMH in past decade+ since nobody buys them for racing anymore :( 3000, 3300, 3600 were common/cheap; towards the end there were 4200 & 4600 by the high end RC cell brands but they weren't too stable/longlived. (All my 4xxx are useless today. Whereas most 3xxx still work, many green/orange GP cells are still living on inside power tools ;) )

yeah Nomadio just faded away, dunno what's their fate as I don't own any of their gear. Nice stuff they showed, but not cheap. 

• Like 1

I have a 3500 Nvision & a 4000 LRP. The 4000 gives a longer run time and a little more punch as you would expect over the 3500. 

I think Batteries are a lot like most things you buy these days in that you generally get what you pay for. I'd go for the best you can.

After seeing a whole pile of Lipo's in a shop display I thought they can't be that bad and haven't looked back since getting one. Most chargers around now will charge both too.

• Like 1

Ah, so actually it has not -advanced- so much ( next to , usable lipo's ) in the regular battery's 

I remember that i payed .. like.. real lots of money for the , then , high end 3000 packs, and most ( for bashing ) 

2400 was really the norm to use ( vs using matched 3000 packs )

For now, will then order some normal one's   ( never been a high end racer anyway )

I drive, in between the crashes :) :) :)

In truth, i do not even know yet if my charger can charge lipo's :) do know it does not have that balancer , but.. 

well.. got to get digging into it again..    some skills to relearn , amazing how much you forget.

Well, im still aiming at recovering that old pc, as there ( as far i can remember ) there is also a database on it, ( parts ! )

lots of video's and photo's .. And a ton of software / manuals / scans of decals.

And hopefully can still use that Nomadio ( i know they went into defense contracting, but they seem to be .. well.. hidden / lost now )

Joke is, lost acces to my showroom , only recently actually "took a view" at it.   Then noticed the dates..

Its been a long time.

• Like 1

HobbyKing do 5000mah nimh packs for about £15. Before I switched to lipo i had 3800mah packs and they lasted nicely even on medium power brushless around 3300kv. I did have a 5000 pack for a while but it was very heavy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stefan(2) said:

Joke is, lost acces to my showroom , only recently actually "took a view" at it.   Then noticed the dates..

Its been a long time.

Welcome back, after 10 years! (I noticed that your "I'll be back" thread was from 2009...)

Boy, did you have an illustrious RC career or what?  

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=1546

Majority are tanks and trucks too.  It's going to be fun getting to know the new technology (it was for me).  I have to say I like your Baghdad Basher!  

You can get iMax B6 for $30.  12v DC power supply is like $12.  Or you can get iMax B6 with built in power supply for about $45 - $50.  It charges literally every type of batteries.  Even for NiMH, it would be an excellent charger.  And B6 will leave a door open for LiPos later.  

1DAedWm.jpg

I own a LRP 5000mAh high discharge rate, bought new for around 60$. Very heavy Ni-Mh pack, but my M03 drives over an hour with a 80A LRP forward reverse esc and LRP 23T Runner2 motor.

I also had a 3000mAh battery, but it was very old and run times of 10 or under minutes.

the charging time is very frustrating for nimh!

As for lipo... dont even bother with NiMh if you are not somehow sentimental attached to them.

I have a Nosram 3800mAh 55/110C discharge rate and a Turningy nano-tech 6.6, so 6600mAh with 65/130C discharge rate.

the 6.6 on a 10T sensorless setup is enough for 45-60minutes, depends on driving style.

the 3800mAh isnt noticable weaker, but driving time is shorter, more likely 25-40minutes. Also lighter then a 6.6. Did I mention the 5000mAh LRP NiMh is ridiculous heavy, cca 420gr in the LRP 5000 and for the 6.6 we are speaking of ruff 320gr and 290gr for the Nosram 3800.

Also the charger I am using is a Quantum Cube E4, abshima makes them also, available on tamico.de.

that is a basic charger without any settings. But it does charge from 2-4s @ 4A. Not recomended for small capacity batteries. 25$

So the 3800mAh battery is full in less then a hour, the 6.6 takes about one and a half hour. That is from empty to full, not from storage charge to full, that would be half the time.

• Like 1

Well,  i did keep my word :)   I am back , took a bit !

*weard joke*  the last car i ran , still is in the same spot where i left it 10ish years ago..

( the tt01 bmw ) , its mangled.. 10 years of garage mess on it.. but.. i actually plan to run that first once i got the battery's / stuff sorted.

sort of "return ride" :)

Actually , that Leopard is still here.  * unknown if it still works, as .. well.. there was a thingy with that .. *

Years ago.. wife found the 2A6 , and .. being dusty and all..

She took it to the shower.. and cleaned it..   

So, coming back from work.. she was amazed i was not that happy that the tank was "clean" ..

I did dry it.. but never tried to fire it up after that..

If it still works..  ...  that is a very good question !

Forgive my .. ignorance..  yet ,  do i understand correct..  as soon i get my old "bling" charger back working

and i plug a thing like this back on  :

https://www.toemen.nl/etronix-accu-balancer-voltage-tester-discharger-p-40616.html?osCsid=0di8rqmgpm6781huk113v362e6

( balancer ) .. its a lipo charger ?  Or am i just totally missing the point now.

This is the charger i actually did find back ->  ( minus a working pc for it .. thats.. work in progress , if i can find a monitor somewhere ;p )

https://www.conrad.com/p/voltcraftalc-8500-expert-battery-charging-station-with-a-cable-loomcharging-station-chargeralc-8500-expert-fornicd-ni-200850

I also SHOULD still own a regular 12/220 fast charger , but so far have not been able to find it back.

( while, real life did got better for me/us  , im still not in the position to go all out in ordering stuff :) )   

17 hours ago, Stefan(2) said:

Ey gents..

Last time i ran 3000mah was about the max there was out there, 

Then you where buying a high end matched stick for a spicy price.

Lipo's where just "getting in" but not really usable on roadcars  ( plane dude's adapted faster )

yet due low stability / fire risk.   It was not that rare a pack just elected to self destruct.

So , whats like the runner / basher pack to go to these days ( no lipo, don't want to start to invest to heavy in new charging gear )

( i see them advertised now up to 5000 , but as ... well..  i did not keep up, i have no idea if there just -adds- or battery's really took another leap forward )

Sideshow..

What ever happened to Nomadio ?  they went bust or something ?   software / support seems to be really hard to find. 

I have used a bunch of these in the past, and sometimes still do. They perform well and take a charge nicely.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-stick-pack-sub-c-4200mah-7-2v-nimh-high-power-series.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-stick-pack-sub-c-5000mah-7-2v-nimh-high-power-series.html

9 hours ago, Stefan(2) said:

Ah, so actually it has not -advanced- so much ( next to , usable lipo's ) in the regular battery's 

I remember that i payed .. like.. real lots of money for the , then , high end 3000 packs, and most ( for bashing ) 

2400 was really the norm to use ( vs using matched 3000 packs )

There's 2 types of 2400... nicad 2400 were leading edge & the sanyos were really good, but they weren't around long before NiMH ate their lunch :( nicads are great, you can charge them at high rates in 15mins :) 

NiMH 2400s otoh... usually they're runs from the factory or junk cells for use in cheap cordless tools. RC grade NiMH started at 3000/3300 when they first appeared. Anything less couldn't handle the high current: also IMHO NiMH can't take faster than 1C charging. 

Nickel cells were never cheap & they still aren't today.

Lipo is cheaper lighter & higher volts. 

6 hours ago, DK308 said:

Like all decent things at HK they're constantly outta stock :P 

Dunno if they're trying to discontinue it? Saw the 3500s on another thread last night being discounted to $3 :blink: but couldn't find same deal.

Thinking of buying some stick packs again. Only got square lipos, they won't fit into WR02 & co. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WillyChang said:

There's 2 types of 2400... nicad 2400 were leading edge & the sanyos were really good, but they weren't around long before NiMH ate their lunch :( nicads are great, you can charge them at high rates in 15mins :) 

NiMH 2400s otoh... usually they're runs from the factory or junk cells for use in cheap cordless tools. RC grade NiMH started at 3000/3300 when they first appeared. Anything less couldn't handle the high current: also IMHO NiMH can't take faster than 1C charging. 

Nickel cells were never cheap & they still aren't today.

Lipo is cheaper lighter & higher volts. 

Like all decent things at HK they're constantly outta stock :P 

Dunno if they're trying to discontinue it? Saw the 3500s on another thread last night being discounted to $3 :blink: but couldn't find same deal.

Thinking of buying some stick packs again. Only got square lipos, they won't fit into WR02 & co. 

Yup, that's often the case.

I run these in anything that needs a stickpack. Awesome packs.

https://www.lrp.cc/en/product/antix-by-lrp-5200-graphene-76v-lihv-45c-lipo-car-stickpack-hardcase/

those LRP lipos look the goods... but EUR46!! :) 

nah this lot gunna go plainjane NiMH. They’re for rough bashing - and not by me driving either, trying to hook innocent children into the hobby ^_^ 

Don’t want Lipo for risk of getting overdischarged, don’t need huge capacity either 2400-3000 is more than enough. They just gotta be good value cheap... I need many multiples -_- 

49 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

those LRP lipos look the goods... but EUR46!! :) 

nah this lot gunna go plainjane NiMH. They’re for rough bashing - and not by me driving either, trying to hook innocent children into the hobby ^_^ 

Don’t want Lipo for risk of getting overdischarged, don’t need huge capacity either 2400-3000 is more than enough. They just gotta be good value cheap... I need many multiples -_- 

They are sweet packs. If you shop around, they are usually a bit less sometimes. I think I paid like 35 Euro for mine.

As for overcharging? Nah. As long as your charger is properly set up, it's quite safe. What you can also do, is run them as a regular LiPO rather than a LiHV. That means you get virtually the same performance as regular LiPO packs, but in a pack that only takes about an 85% charge to reach that level. That means they will last a very long time when only charged to 4.2 volts per cell rather than 4.35 as is the case with LiHV packs normally. This also means they are virtually impossible to damage during charging.

I have had my packs for almost two years now, and they perform flawlessly - and I run them in LiHV mode. They are worth every penny in my book.

Think i go for some regular old-school one's for now ( aka , cheap ;p )

I won't need so much, but first want to get my feet a bit down again with relearning :) :)

( that , and i probably need to buy some other stuff.. don't want to overdo it )

I am curently very happy with two Vapextech 3300 NiMh, those are/were best amp for money.

Also have four Sanyo 2400 NiCd i still use frequently.

For chargers I like the ones SkyRC has on offer, fancy the D100. 

Using LRP Pulsar 3 competition atm, those can do a 10 Amp discharge. (you can still find those secondhand on marktplaats or ebaykleinanzeigen)

On 4/19/2019 at 3:42 PM, Stefan(2) said:

( balancer ) .. its a lipo charger ? 

That doesn't look like a charger. It will drain one cell with higher voltage, down to equilibrium.  IMAX B6 costs not much more than that.  B6 balances too.  Back in the days, something like imax b6, would cost $200.  Now it's about $35-$40. 

The mini version is tiny too--just about 4inch (10cm) across.   

There is nothing wrong with starting slowly. 

Get a cheap NiMH, and when you are fully back into RC, get a LiPo.  The difference is the amp drain.  Especially with hotter motors or brushless motors.  TT02b would go 58km/h with a 10.5t motor, but it would go 66km/h with LiPo.  10% improvement isn't too bad just for switching the battery.  Something to look forward to in the future. 

YJsoFZV.jpg

On 4/19/2019 at 3:42 PM, Stefan(2) said:

Years ago.. wife found the 2A6 , and .. being dusty and all..

She took it to the shower.. and cleaned it..   

OMG... lol... it survived the fire in Baghdad, but not the water?  I hope it survived, or at least easily fixable.  

Indeed, thanks for the tips :)     

These then really came down in price * nice * ,  indeed,  that will be for step 2 or something.

And .. yeah, a real 2A6 can take the water real good ..  We will find out soon(tm) if the model was up to it * lol *

Thats a bridge to cross later .

Lolfact, yesterday i was busy getting the 2 FG's back in action . ( as they are basically most close to be RTR again )

Fixing the hydraulic brakes and needed to get a servo thingy back in place ( next to , cleaning them ) That decade of standing still

really did a number on them.  

And what you do , i had to of course.. re align the servo's .. ( 0- them ) for refitting the horns. 

Seriously .. not a single 6V source in the house to be found :) ( so.. got to wait for my order )

More fun.. found back m03 mini ( new ! ) and a TT01 bmw M3 , the one in Jagermeister colors , also new.

Wife eyes go bigger and bigger, wondering where the badword i keep pulling those **** cars from :) :)

** Edit

Ordered me a pair of 3300 from ebay.co.uk ( seems they had the best deal going )

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/7-2V-3300mAh-Battery-Pack-SC-Vapextech-NiMH/371341958009?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

for now, 2 for "bashing" .. , and might need to sacrifice one to build into the 2A6 ( as i modded it due space limits , and it needs

a build-in-pack. )     and 3300 ish  was back then wayyyy good enough, as it don't drain that much power anyway.

... if it still works ...

Edited by Stefan(2)