Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

It finally happened to me

Every week we read threads about guys  receiving valuable classics from their buddies, co-workers, neighbers etc. Usually they are one of the big ones;Avantes, Bruisers, Scorchers, etc. 

Well it finally happened to me! My older brother sent this in the mail, his OG, un-ran Avante!!!!!  I still dont know the back story of how he received it back when.  It is in remarkeable shape.  The tires are out of the box fresh, albeit missing the foams. 

You will notice its missing its shocks, yeah I stole them as a braty little kid while my brother was at Navy boot camp.  The shocks wound up on an Avante I restored and then sold off many years latter, I didnt know that he still had this, I wouldn't have done that as an adult!!!  I probably dont deserve this for that reason.  As a Marine I saved his bacon many years latter, maybe this is thanks. Any way. Here she is!!!! He even sent rere shocks!!!!

257eflg.jpg

The front end in all of its over complicated goodness!!!!

illsht.jpg

Best rear suspension in all of RC-dom

2qi3edl.jpg

PERFECT 30 year old tires and wheels.

28l9bbb.jpg

Plans:

Blow it apart, re-build, and run in the back yard.  Ill probably keep the super dark blue paint on it, paint the rear wing, and paint the bely pan black.  There will be a thread!!!! Stay tuned.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GTodd said:

PERFECT 30 year old tires and wheels.

28l9bbb.jpg

Those SuperGrippers are notorious for flat spotting & cracking when left standing for years. 

Your selfless task of removing the shocks back then likely helped preserve those tyres!!

:D 

• Like 1

No fair.  My brother collects weird golden robots or something. I don't want his uncool stuff.  Neither does he want my stuff. (He thinks war-planes, tanks and buggies are "too dirty looking," lol...)  

Looking forward to your rebuild thread!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Juggular said:

My brother collects weird golden robots or something

I think you need to talk him round ;)

• Haha 1

A quick once over revelealed a few missing link pins and thats it.  I just ordered a few spare screw bags, link pins, and the search for a technigold has begun.  I might update the steering to 2011 specifications or the ball bearing option but I like the classic metal version so probably not.  

How do I tell if this is an original first run Avante or a revised one?  It does have the double nuts on the 4mm rods which I recal was a manner in which to differentiate the two.

I dry assembled the shocks, I dont have the seals or e-clips to assemble them correctly, they've been ordered.  Sitting the way Mr Tamiya intended. If there is a more beutiful buggy I havent scene it.  The Avante is absolutely gorgeous! The last restore I did of an Avante some ten years ago I polished the ball ends to a high luster, Im not going to do that this time.  The ball ends arent bent and lack zero slop.  Just going to wipe them clean! Id like to add these ball ends are the real deal, no dimples like the rere.

28hids3.jpg

2wpjdwo.jpg

• Like 2

just purchased a Technigold off of fleabay, Ill be ordering an ECU  and Receiver next week when I get paid.  Now Ive got three builds going!