JennyMo

Hopper’s HiLux - 2WD stepside Dually pick-up

More details:

Screen glued in place, wipers fitted:

i-rmSdVMS-XL.jpg

i-j64DmXH-XL.jpg

photo. note I've purposely chosen to leave the screen 'clean' for now, rather than weather with wiper marks and mist (although that might happen eventually) as I want the interior to be visible as much as possible.

Interior assembled, and random accessories [double sided] taped in place:

i-cMxCh3N-XL.jpg

...and fitted to cab:

i-B6M3jc6-XL.jpg

i-BfSrPJ3-XL.jpg

photo. those M&Ms are going to melt up there!

i-gJSHGg2-XL.jpg

Tow-bar drop hitch:

i-9JXVGnV-XL.jpg

i-X39MXcd-XL.jpg

photo. will be painted and rusted of course.

Scratch built tailgate draw-bolts/latches:

i-9RBRnfF-XL.jpg

It's coming together at last:

i-5jrSTW9-XL.jpg

photo. ProLine accessory tool chest (originally silver) painted black... not sure this will be part of the final build, but it is one option.

More soon...

• Like 5

Detail of the finished washer and coolant bottles:

As I mentioned previously - these are the ends of an old X-acto knife blade box, and I cut cut a piece of clear lexan and super-glued it in to make the 'top' of the liquid with an air-gap above, before painting the lower part with clear green and blue Tamiya paints:

i-9QPGk9h-XL.jpg

Rather than back them with silver [self-adhesive aluminium foil] as shown above, I've ultimately mounted them on plain white paper which is slightly less reflective/bright, and used double sided tape to mount them to the inner wings.

The ESC, and the lettering for the door decals have arrived in the post today too, so stand-by for another update soon...

Jenny x

It's been a busy couple of weeks doing everything other than RC stuff, but I've finally found time to add a few more details to the HiLux...

i-VXxvF2B-XL.jpg

photo. painting and rusting the drop-hitch - the drop plate (styrene) has already been rusted, while the hitch assembly (aluminium) has the iron paint applied, prior to the activator solution.

i-2QqG7xH-XL.jpg

photo. The finished result - very effective!

The other thing I wanted to incorporate was some wooden capping for the load-bed sides:

i-fhJkDj4-XL.jpg

photo. Cherry strip-wood (1/4" wide) - the same as I used for the floor of the ebaYJeep.

However, rather than have then appear as having been just glued on, I wanted to try something I've had in mind for a while now - and use pin heads to replicate screws/coach-bolt heads...

i-qt3sMJD-XL.jpg

photo. fortunately the sides of the step-side bed are 200mm long, which means I can have seven equally spaced screw heads 30mm (1' in 1:1 scale) apart, with 10mm at each end.

i-sNsKhSN-XL.jpg

photo. I covered the wood with tape so that I could mark the hole centres from the top (without potentially marking/staining the wood) and also drill them without the wood splitting.

i-WCv5LD2-XL.jpg

photo. clean drill holes.

i-JwKtPwf-XL.jpg

photo. I then super-glued a series of pins into the holes, and let them dry...

i-hjHnJHP-XL.jpg

photo. before cutting off the excess with some snips, and grinding down the remaining stubs using a Dremel cut-off wheel, so they were flat with the underside face of the wood. 

i-MZXV6CW-XL.jpg

photo. the top sides were lightly sanded to dull the wood grain and pin heads, and to round off the edges - then super-glued to the top of the load-bed, the result is pretty authentic I feel?

More soon - I'm currently experimenting with my working dead-bolts for the tailgate:

i-LbX3jn9-XL.jpg

Jx

• Like 4

Turns out Chief Hopper is contemplating swapping his Blazer for a naily HiLux...

i-b4QgWHc-XL.jpg

He's a little small (this 7" figure would be 5'10" in 1:1 size) standing next to the truck, but I reckon he'll fit really well inside... it's almost a shame to chop his legs around though, as the detail of these figures is excellent!

• Like 2

A few more photos of Hopper in the HiLux...

i-b5Q7RmQ-XL.jpg

i-QsBrMkD-XL.jpg

I had an inkling he would fit well in the cab, and sure enough, his hands/arms and upper torso turned out to be a perfect fit!

However, the vagaries of the interior dimensions (essentially the height of the seat to clear the original Trailfinder II transmission?) means I had to perform some drastic surgery - and currently he has no legs!

i-Cp84P9S-XL.jpg

However, there is still a little room between his head and the roof, so with some creative sculpting, I'm hoping to modify the existing legs into a suitable seated position (good job his beer-belly will help to cover any join) - ideally having him removable so the vehicle can be displayed with or without a drive as desired.

It's a shame to cut up such a lovely detailed figure, but it's for the greater good of course!

More soon!

Jx

• Like 3

A quick update... Hopper is currently recuperating after some pretty extensive surgery:

i-Xg6Pf9d-XL.jpg

i-TQKKc5j-XL.jpg

i-fg44HV7-XL.jpg

i-bjbMbPw-XL.jpg

i-mkqXWVH-XL.jpg

i-pjjWbSp-XL.jpg

Wild Willy donated his thighs to ensure that Hopper would fit behind the wheel* properly...

*You may notice I've also replaced the huge original Toyota steering wheel with a smaller diameter and fatter rim version from a Tamiya Wild Willy driver sprue too.

I can confirm surgery went very well - although were he to stand up now, Hopper would probably be a about a foot shorter than before with his new 'Hobbit' legs... but needs must, and when seated, the proportions look correct which is the main thing.

He is currently waiting for his jeans to be remodelled and painted - then he can be discharged, and ultimately once he's seated in the final position in the cab, I will also fill & paint the articulated joints in his arms in a effort to improve the scale appearance further.

In the meantime, cards and flowers can be sent to him care of Hawkins General Hospital.

Jx

Might need your advice on how to get my fast attack driver to fit in my wild one ;)

heat gun?

dremmel?

what type of glue?

JJ

7 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Might need your advice on how to get my fast attack driver to fit in my wild one ;)

heat gun?

dremmel?

what type of glue?

JJ

Hi Problem' - pretty much all of the above I would imagine, although I thought the Wild One and FAV were pretty much the same, so it ought not to be too much work to swap the drivers over?

What I tend to do when remodelling drivers, is to cut the main parts - typically using a Dremel and/or a Stanley Knife - to roughly the shape they will need to be to mate back together (tacked with super-glue typically), then use Araldite (2-part epoxy) to beef up the joints - internally especially - and then use Ispon P38 body-filler to fill and smooth any external joins, and which can be sculpted with an X-acto knife to add detail where necessary.

Have a look in my showroom at some of the Wild Willy drivers (heads and bodies) I'm modified over the years, together with Jack Willy - the driver of the Defender 90 - who is a hybrid figure (using Wild Willy legs/feet) much the same as Hopper above.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x

A few more of the finishing details:

Tailgate

i-bjRzzFm-XL.jpg
photo. mk2 version of the tailgate latches - 0.5mm lexan and aluminium tube, and tiny nail heads as bolts.

i-TnvLNd4-XL.jpg
photo. a coat of silver (aluminium) paint, and they look suitably metal?

i-c34Z8CQ-XL.jpg
photo. weathered, bolt heads sanded and bent aluminium rod for draw-bolt.

i-KBNBH5k-XL.jpg
photo. salt technique used to achieve flaking paint effect, red-oxide primer also supplemented with iron paint (and activator solution) for real rust in the corners.

i-NKBffpq-XL.jpg
photo. template cut...

i-vXHJtCj-XL.jpg
photo. ...to mask tailgate letters for highlighting in white.

i-MqjbkC6-XL.jpg
photo. mini hinges initially superglued in place,  then holes enlarged and pins glued in to strengthen joint.

cont.

• Like 1

More body details:

i-3VMbfMx-XL.jpg
photo. wing mirrors (these are from an Axial Racing set - suitably rusted).

i-LRwHMpM-XL.jpg
photo. rear lights - again, using Axial wing-mirror brackets, with the mirrors replaced with round spotlight housings [clear lenses painted red with Tamiya X-27 Clear Red], with the 5mm LED holes in the rear blocked off, and new holes drilled in the top for 3mm LEDS on the loom.

i-d74wkcR-XL.jpg
photo. lamp brackets attached. note Hopper's got some personal licence plates too.

i-2P9PhDR-XL.jpg
photo. door decals, using dry transfer lettering... as the paint job is a homage to Cars Movie Mater, but the truck is a 1980's HiLux, I thought this twist appropriate.

i-sBRP63r-XL.jpg
photo. Hopper himself is back on his feet now (in newly painted jeans) - test fitting in the cabin for final arm positions... note sporty fat-rimmed steering wheel from a Tamiya Wild Willy driver sprue.

i-zQxBSJX-XL.jpg
photo. Hobbit Hopper with his new shorter legs - his articulated arms have been tacked in position with superglue, and the joints filled with body-filler prior to sanding and painting...

More soon!

Jenny x

• Like 2

Bloomin' marvellous stuff.

All it needs now is a gold medallion with chest hair for the driver and a motorised eye lid that winks as he drives past.

• Like 1

Finishing off...

There comes a time when you've got to stop sanding and painting, and just screw the thing together already... and that day was today.

i-fhFDCZL-XL.jpg
photo. skin graft (Isopon P38) required to hide the articulated joints...

i-sJ7BP2g-XL.jpg
photo. seated behind the new smaller steering wheel.

i-DQcnXCx-XL.jpg
photo. left arm has a pretty realistic pose for holding the window frame I thought? (of course it would be over-egging the pudding to also include a cigarette between his fingers... I may have to get some eggs.)

So once the interior was refitted, and the shell bolted to the chassis, I felt it was time for a few more photos of Hopper, and the final detailing:

i-tf2gCpH-XL.jpg
photo. sliding rear window (the slide itself is purposely missing, for the moment at least)

i-BfshMWW-XL.jpg
photo. Hopper's quality diet - no wonder he's got that belly these days!

Tailgate details

i-rmKrpJ2-XL.jpg
photo. I ultimately fitted return ends so the draw-bolts wouldn't fall out, and added a pair of security chains for when the tailgate is fully open.

i-nthGV4S-XL.jpg
photo. scratch-built latches using styrene, pins, aluminium tube and rod. And washers for the receiver surround.

i-w4LTfvR-XL.jpg
photo. a final touch was this checker-plate infill panel, to protect the inside of the tailgate.

i-9NZ5Zkv-XL.jpg
photo. hinges allow the tailgate to be open or closed while running/displayed.

i-b2BPxT9-XL.jpg
photo. door decals (dry transfer lettering, lightly sanded), and propane tank bracket (bent coat-hanger). Body mounted using scale hex-bolts along the sills.

i-rr9n8q3-XL.jpg
photo. vehicle can be run/displayed with or without bonnet (hood!) in place - it's held on with a small magnet in each corner, hidden under the return lip of the engine bay.

i-VxvcsbB-XL.jpg
photo. engine bay detailing includes V8 engine with K&N filter, radiator (with the original [working] fan from the motor cover inside the cowling), twin batteries (with real grease on the terminals!), coolant and washer bottles (scratch built from an X-acto knife blade box) and a scratch built brake servo (using odd Tamiya parts). Wiper blades are actually metal too!

i-ZbCsX2n-XL.jpg
photo. Hopper is my most realistic driver yet...

i-hLLw3h5-XL.jpg
photo. step-side dually, ready to haul scrap!

There is a touch more weathering I want to do, plus I'm waiting for a slim ESC ( a Modelsport Viper 20) to arrive from the UK - then I will wire everything up including the RC4WD '85 4Runner loom I bought which has the correct size, colour* and number of LEDs I need to light all the lamps. 

(*with the two white 3mm LEDs painted red for the tail lights)

More soon - once everything is up and running - all being well, this should be ready for the RC4WD West Coast Scale Challenge at the end of this month!

In the meantime, I'll also aim to photograph it properly and add it to my showroom of course...

Jenny x

• Like 5

To coin a phrase or two OMG, WOW, Amaaaaazing!!!!!!!. I think your best so far. Whats next:P

Absolutely amazing - by far and away your best build yet. It’s a really nice addition to Ta’Mater, i love how visually similar it is whilst being totally different. 

The engine bay is on another level. Well done! You can retire now but please don’t :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

Absolutely amazing - by far and away your best build yet. It’s a really nice addition to Ta’Mater, i love how visually similar it is whilst being totally different. 

The engine bay is on another level. Well done! You can retire now but please don’t :lol:

Hee hee - I do need to take a break for a bit I think!

I do have a couple of potential projects in boxes (the Mega-Bug Beetle is something I still want to progress at some point; and I also bought another Jeep Wrangler body recently as I've had another idea along that line too), and as you may have seen, I got distracted with a more technical project for fun - the Lil'Scamp crawler, which I now intend to 'scale' up a bit with some paint and detailing too.

But yes, I really do consider this one my showcase now - I've put pretty much everything I can think of into this build (other than actually animating an element of the driver for example - which I've already done on other builds), and the trick now will be to incorporate all the running electronics and lighting loom without compromising the overall scale appearance at all.

I fear there will be a lot of soldering going on in the next few days!

More soon...

Jenny x

Everything has currently gone a bit Project Binky!

i-LdD2K9R-XL.jpg

photo. RC4WD '85 4Runner loom modified/extended to hide wires along each side of the engine bay and rear chassis.

Make the noise.... arrrrrrgh!

Jx

• Like 1