JennyMo

Hopper’s HiLux - 2WD stepside Dually pick-up

Wiring...

With the painting and detailing essentially finished, it was time to make a start on the wiring. Initially I had hoped (as I've achived with all* my other builds) to have a battery compartment which would accept a traditional 6-cell NiMh pack... I mean, you gotta have rules, right?

*the only exception being Desmond my 4WS crawler which uses a block shaped 6-cell battery, although I'm currently revamping that layout too to allow some quick change stick packs for extended running in future.

However, while I had managed to create a compartment under the bench seat which could contain a 6-cell pack, the packaging was so tight once the shell was fitted that I felt in this instance, a more compact battery solution would need to be employed; and that in using the same size battery that I'd fitted to the Lil'Scamp (Willy's Rocker Mk3) recently, I could effectively have a pair of 2600mAh batteries - one under each seat - one to power the vehicle and the other dedicated to the winch - and that, like the dual battery set-up in the ebaYJeep too, either battery can also be connected to the ESC to extend the running time. Sweet!

i-rJFs7xp-XL.jpg

photo. battery tray/floorpan scratch-built from 1.5mm styrene.

i-tnRb4L5-XL.jpg

Initially I planned to fit the ESC on the raised panel between the two batteries - however, it turned out the compact Modelsport Viper ESC was thin enough to fit vertically on the engine bulkhead, meaning that all the electronics are contained in the space behind the interior footwells, including the wireless receiver for the winch control (on the far right) - leaving just the batteries and connector plugs under the seat itself.

i-4hSHwS4-XL.jpg

In an effort to minimise the bulk of wiring under the seat, I also departed from my usual Tamiya style battery connectors, and instead used more compact Deans connectors for this particular installation - making up a pig-tail so that I can still charge the smaller batteries with my existing charger.

I can confirm that late last night, everything was finally fitted together, and that the HiLux is at last rolling under it's own power - complete with lights!

So now all I'm waiting for is the second battery to arrive, plus some additional LEDs as the pair I'd initially installed in the tail-light assemblies seem to have gone on the fritz for some reason?

More soon!

Jenny x

• Like 2

Question: how to display the bonnet (hood) when it's removed from the vehicle to reveal the engine bay?

(while ideally keeping in theme too of course)...

Answer:

i-4f9FQH4-XL.jpg

Yes, I fear I have gone WAY over the top on this one.

(note. Eleven isn't using her 'powers' to hold the bonnet, just magnets... it's movie magic!)

Jx

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What to make with this little lot?

i-xwGVfjL-XL.jpg

A twin tail pipe exhaust of course!

i-VRv5DTd-XL.jpg

All it needed was a little heating and bending to clear the rear springs hangers on full compression, and a lick of paint of course:

i-vLcnNXM-XL.jpg

Nice!

i-k3ZHLvJ-XL.jpg

So with that done, and the replacement rear LEDs fitted in the tail-lights at last, there was only one thing to do now...

... time to photograph it properly and put it in my showroom of course!

A few alternative photos, in no particular order:

i-NHKs6Z8-XL.jpg

photo. I feel this ultimately deserves a display case of it's own!

i-fWRfSVc-XL.jpg

photo. can be displayed and run with the bonnet off in true Mater style...

i-g94kLNS-XL.jpg

photo. ...or the bonnet held on with hidden magnets if preferred.

i-MH3GtS5-XL.jpg

photo. 2WD HiLux uses Tamiya Truck axle (inverted) on leaf-springs - mounted spring under axle to keep body height low while also gaining maximum clearance.

i-CVPHSpP-XL.jpg

photo. tail-pipes, modified rear lights (to accept 3mm LEDs in the top, rather than 5mm in the back), rear winch, tow-hitch on custom drop plate, hinged tail gate, engraved licence plates... the list goes on!

i-GC9WwRV-XL.jpg

photo. I decided to stick some junk in the back (with servo tape) - a milk-crate full of oily rags and old cutting discs, a cardboard box, and I finally found the perfect build for my rusted/weathered Jerry cans I've had for a while now.

i-xndhbG4-XL.jpg

photo. full lighting kit from RC4WD - I used their '85 4Runner loom [in the Trailfinder II housings] which gave me an extra set of orange LEDS which I wanted for the vertical side lights (rather than white). The loom needed quite a lot of chopping and extending to get all the wiring hidden as best as possible.

i-Nwnr3sR-XL.jpg

photo. scratch-built dead-bolt latches using aluminium rod, tube and styrene - oh, and some little nails as coach-bolts! The security chains are a length of necklace, held in place with the heads of small nails, superglued into holes drilled in the panels - that was a fiddly job!

i-Dxc3wLx-XL.jpg

photo. it took a lot of patience to mix the correct skin tone [to match the original] using the paints I had - it's not bad, just not quite as tanned as his face perhaps...

i-tpf9xKj-XL.jpg

photo. snacks, cigarettes, and a walkie-talkie... all you need for hunting Demogorgons!

i-mWSK6Qj-XL.jpg

photo. employing Eleven to hold the bonnet aloft with her [magnetic] powers was the finishing touch!

Hope you enjoyed this journey as much as I did, time for a little rest I think now!

Jenny x

• Like 5

Fun weekend at the RC4WD West Coast Scale Challenge event here in California... Hopper and Eleven even won a prize!!

i-7ZxCdBrb-XL.jpg

Jx

• Like 7

A few photos of the HiLux out on the rocks at the RC4WD West Coast Scale Challenge... I have to admit, while it bops along ok on firm surfaces (although it really needs a faster turn motor than is currently fitted), the combination of RWD only and rock-hard 1/14th style 'truck' tyres means in soft loose terrain it tends to dig in on the slightest incline...

... so maybe Hopper needs a 4x4 conversion at some point in the future after all? ;o)

i-vPQXMt5-XL.jpg

i-dnnXgD7-XL.jpg

i-bzDmJrQ-XL.jpg

i-vcRjdb4-XL.jpg

i-zmLzcB2-XL.jpg

Jenny x

• Like 6

On 11/8/2019 at 8:25 AM, Problemchild said:

Is this a hobby or a job Jenny?

JJ

Until someone pays me to do it, it's a hobby ;o)

Jx

• Like 1

Just a quick update... my 2nd battery arrived, and was dually installed under the passenger seat - this way either can run the ESC or winch as required.

i-B6NXBVb-XL.jpg

The other thing I just had to do, having been inspired by Bonards29's FJ Cruiser in the flesh at the RC4WD WCSC event (and on the SBG forum), was to add a little more yellow detail under the hood too - with my own version of a working dipstick!

i-2G5TwMJ-XL.jpg

A shameless attempt to score just one more scale point (and maybe the overall Best in Show too) next time... ;o)

Jenny x

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JennyMo said:

dually

:D

12 hours ago, JennyMo said:

A shameless attempt to score just one more scale point (and maybe the overall Best in Show too) next time... ;o)

What type of oil does it use?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Busdriver said:

:D

What type of oil does it use?

Hee hee - you see what I did there...

Generally speaking, WD40... ;o)

Jx

On 11/12/2019 at 10:08 PM, JennyMo said:

Some highlights from the recent RC4WD West Coast Scale Challenge event from AMPro eng. @Pintopower - including Hopper's HiLux and the ebaYJeep, plus my D90 and SRB Cage Racer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhlWDgAeyM

Very enjoyable Video from Pinto Jenny, really cool to see his and your cars in action! I have to admit, I also found the Fiat Panda from Pinto upper cool, never thought that somebody in US knows about These tiny European 4WD...:lol: 

All the best for the repair on the Jeep,

Matthias

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Very enjoyable Video from Pinto Jenny, really cool to see his and your cars in action! I have to admit, I also found the Fiat Panda from Pinto upper cool, never thought that somebody in US knows about These tiny European 4WD...:lol: 

All the best for the repair on the Jeep,

Matthias

Hee hee - yes, Pinto is a total European car nut too - he has a multitude of ancient Fiats in various states of restoration along with his Pintos!

I'm glad to say the Jeep is now fully rebuilt (with a proper RC4WD front axle which appears to be much stronger), and I've made one or two other mods since the Scale Challenge meet - namely deleting the wing mirrors since they snapped off anyway, and removing the four roof-lights and mounting just a pair on either side of the cage above the scuttle - in an effort to minimise damage and lost parts during future outings!

Jx

So while I was rather proud of my scratch-built working deadbolts inside the tailgate, I would concede that practically speaking it's not ideal to have surface mounted latches inside a drop-style tailgate of course... so I inevitably bit the financial bullet and bought a set of the Killerbody working bed latches (typically used on a drop-side flatbed on the HiLux or 70 series Landcruiser):

i-FbD3mN6-XL.jpg

They are a miniature thing of wonder - although they are also $20! for two tiny latches and some catches/chain... but I guess that's what you have to pay if you want working realism in this scale!

Electing to use just the main catches and latches (as I already had my own security chains fixed to the body and tailgate), I blew over them with some body-coloured paint:

i-Md3KMcW-XL.jpg

And needed to add a couple of plates to the tailgate so they latches themselves would sit flat across the existing frame:

i-cJ3t4Sn-XL.jpg

I have to say, it was an utter fiddle trying to get the little screws in, but once I'd finally managed to secure them, and adjust the angle of the clasps so the hinges snugged up tight, and held the tailgate in the correct vertical orientation, I consider the end result is rather good indeed!

i-wWKbpZ7-XL.jpg

The other thing I wanted to change (and have now done so) after running the truck out in the open recently at the RC4WD event is to replace the 35T motor with  a 20T motor to obtain a little more top speed. It's still no racer (with the 5:1 ratio planetary gearbox) of course, but it does now offer a little more running speed if required.

Along with the working oil dipstick (see a few posts above), I really do consider this one finished now... however, the level of detailing has prompted me to start another pick-up project that ought to be equally detailed, but lets just say, a lot more 'Baja' based... stay tuned!

Jenny x

• Like 2

A quick update (based on a comment that the twin batteries while connected to each other, were not actually connected to the vehicle of course!) - Two short pieces of servo wire, two cut-down scale M2 bolt heads, and some superglue gel:

i-sdfKk9S-XL.jpg

Done!

Jx

• Like 5