Sign in to follow this  
Muratt

tble02s esc

Hello,

I have joined Tamiyaclub with my new cc01 landfreeder. I finished it but i have a problem with esc. 

İt does not work properly. İt is on brushed mode and i have the brushed motor. When i press throttle stick, it moves a little bit then stop, then when i throttle again, it moves a little bit and stop. Servo works fine. But i didnt get the problem with esc. While doing this, there is green and red lights flashes on my esc.

İ am adding a video also to show my problem 

https://vimeo.com/331761663

The only issue is the battery. I have not been used my nihm battery for 6-7 years maybe. But Nihm batteries does not die like lipo as i know. 

I will buy a new lipo to test it. Just to be sure.

NiMH will self discharge when left unused for long time; if you didn't store them at half charge & checked then every few months to topup, they may have discharged down to 0V... or maybe 1 or a few cells in the 6. 

Fully charge the pack and fresh off the charger check it with voltmeter. It should read at least 8.0-8.5V. If it's lower you may have 1 or more cells stuck at 0V.

A few full cycles of the pack might wake the dead cells. Or might not. You'll need a fast charger, trickle charger won't do squat for comatose cells. 

Some cells I use my oldskool Zapper machine to wake them up, across each cell individually one by one. Bit tricky on a stick lack as you'll need yo expose the pack's packing & insulation to get access to the cell terminals.

• Like 1

Why don't you try cycling it? 

Fully charge, let it cool, drain, let it cool, fully charge again, let it cool, drain again, let it cool.... repeat the cycle 7-8 times. 

Sometimes NiMH can come alive --if it's only mostly dead.  

"There is big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. All dead, there is only one thing you can do."  (Miracle Max)  

fwCKTAP.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Juggular said:

Why don't you try cycling it? 

Fully charge, let it cool, drain, let it cool, fully charge again, let it cool, drain again, let it cool.... repeat the cycle 7-8 times. 

Sometimes NiMH can come alive --if it's only mostly dead.  

"There is big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. All dead, there is only one thing you can do."  (Miracle Max)  

fwCKTAP.jpg

İ didnt even know that. Full charga is ok, but what do you mean by cool? 

4 minutes ago, Muratt said:

İ didnt even know that. Full charga is ok, but what do you mean by cool? 

Cool, just let it cool down, they heat up when you charge or discharge them.

I know @Juggular's profile says Cheltenham but hes actually in the USA and they speak this weird language microsoft call English (US) which is different to actual english. 

*I'm pretty sure Jug will find that funny, its meant as a joke...

• Haha 1

LOL, that was funny.  

I'm sitting here doing some plastic surgery and the computer screen beeps, and there is a *heated* discussion about "cooling." 

(in Americanish, doing surgery on plastic faces is called "plastic surgery" just so you know. And Rhinoplasty means plastic rhino --no, not really-- okay, Jonathon got me all confused now...)  

xfJeiMA.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Cool, just let it cool down, they heat up when you charge or discharge them.

I know @Juggular's profile says Cheltenham but hes actually in the USA and they speak this weird language microsoft call English (US) which is different to actual english. 

*I'm pretty sure Jug will find that funny, its meant as a joke...

Ahaha you made me laugh. 

Ok i will charge it and wait for 10-15 minutes then recharge. Should i charge with low voltage or high? I mean quick charge or slow charge?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juggular said:

LOL, that was funny.  

I'm sitting here doing some plastic surgery and the computer screen beeps, and there is a *heated* discussion about "cooling." 

(in Americanish, doing surgery on plastic faces is called "plastic surgery" just so you know. And Rhinoplasty means plastic rhino --no, not really-- okay, Jonathon got me all confused now...)  

xfJeiMA.jpg

Dont worry i can understand Americanish :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Muratt said:

Ahaha you made me laugh. 

Ok i will charge it and wait for 10-15 minutes then recharge. Should i charge with low voltage or high? I mean quick charge or slow charge?

You have to discharge it after charging it each time. Charge, discharge, charge, discharge. If you are getting back into things you will probably want a new charger. Get one that will cycle charge, and charge all different types of batteries(nimh, lipo, life, etc). It will make things easier and if you decide to switch to lipo, it still does the job.

• Like 2

Welcome to the club. :)

While you can definitely try and wake up those old cells, it might be time for a new pack. Even if you can wake up those old cells, my experience is that they will never work really well again. Not trying to spend your money for you, just thinking that your journey back into the hobby might be more fun if you don't have the hassles of old problematic batteries. New NiMh packs can usually be found online pretty cheap these days. Just a thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz73 said:

You have to discharge it after charging it each time. Charge, discharge, charge, discharge. If you are getting back into things you will probably want a new charger. Get one that will cycle charge, and charge all different types of batteries(nimh, lipo, life, etc). It will make things easier and if you decide to switch to lipo, it still does the job.

Yep, that makes it easier, but check to see if it allows the battery to cool down.  One of my old chargers didn't let the battery cool down.  I found the battery thoroughly cooked in the morning.  What's the purpose of cycling it? To revive. Why design it to do the opposite?  That's like going to a sleep therapy in the middle of a rock concert. 

(I wonder if that's how I became distrustful of instruction manuals?)  Even the shrink wrap had melted down, and the battery wouldn't charge anymore.  Sometimes people who manufacture things are not as smart as you are.  

qWT3SJy.jpg

Don't be like me. Don't use it if hurts things (like your eyes)...

But I am with Biz73.  I would recommend getting something like SkyRC imax B6 charger.  And it's cheap, and it's one of those things you'll need sooner or later.  

7 hours ago, Muratt said:

I mean quick charge or slow charge?

I would prefer slow charge because the pack gets less heated. (or is it just how I perceive it because it's slower to heat?)  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

Yep, that makes it easier, but check to see if it allows the battery to cool down.  One of my old chargers didn't let the battery cool down.  I found the battery thoroughly cooked in the morning.  What's the purpose of cycling it? To revive. Why design it to do the opposite?  That's like going to a sleep therapy in the middle of a rock concert. 

(I wonder if that's how I became distrustful of instruction manuals?)  Even the shrink wrap had melted down, and the battery wouldn't charge anymore.  Sometimes people who manufacture things are not as smart as you are.  

qWT3SJy.jpg

Don't be like me. Don't use it if hurts things (like your eyes)...

But I am with Biz73.  I would recommend getting something like SkyRC imax B6 charger.  And it's cheap, and it's one of those things you'll need sooner or later.  

I would prefer slow charge because the pack gets less heated. (or is it just how I perceive it because it's slower to heat?)  

Another vote for the IMax B6AC V2 charger from here. Dirt cheap and handles everything very well. I personally can't think of a better budget charger out there today. It's my backup and and have never let me down.

• Like 1

He mentioned charging, letting it cool down, and then charging it again. My main point was to make sure to discharge after a charge, not try to charge it again. A cycle charger makes the process easier, but it can be done without that kind of charger. Long term a charger that can cycle the battery will be good to keep those batteries in good working order.

• Like 1

I could not ressurect my old batteries. They are complately dead.

But i bought a new nihm battery to try and it works fine. So there is no problem with my esc luckily. 

Now i am planning to buy lipo battery.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1