Jason1145

Tamiya Wheelie cars for a 3yr old child?

(I really regret selling my XB Wild Willy 2 a couple years ago now!)

I've just enjoyed a gorgeous Easter break with sunny weather meaning me and the wife have had the chance to take our 3yr old daughter down the park and she just loved watching ( and wanting a go) my SCT pull wheelies on the grass... never seen her laugh so much, even the wife was laughing at her - but the SCT is way too fast for her and so not to miss an opportunity I am looking into a slower wheelie vehicle for her (any excuse to buy another Tamiya)

My XB WW2 would have been perfect, that was a WR02 chassis I think...but what else can I consider getting her?

The requirements are it just needs to be slow ( so it can't get too far away before I can grab the controls back off her) but still pull wheelies on the grass ( high ground clearance) because that's what makes her laugh.

(No to the Honda City Turbo's as it's too low - another I've previously owned and sold)

So is it just WR02 (2WD) and GF01 (4WD?) 

One last thing, a lexan shell would be nice as I can paint it pink for her too ( no, she's not having my ClodBuster before anyone suggests it)

Thanks in advance.

My 3 daughters had a WW2, a LB and a Blackfoot and they were the best buys ever by a country mile. 

Fun, engaging and easy to theme. 

Personally I would go LB and make it a Barbie themed van or Tweenies...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

What about a comical grasshopper or Hornet? 

+1

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Which will hold a wheelie the longest all stock?

I think WR02 handles heaps better than Lunchbox :) 

Kids too young to appreciate "comical" GH/Hornet plus they're crazy ex for what they are.

Dare say you're better off with that green tractor or even the red tractor with the kuma bear. Plus the WR02G has 2.2" rear tyres so they'll go further than WW2. 

Have seen some ripper deals on Farm King in the past, dunno if they're stil around. That body is just so unique... dare you to paint it PS33 Cherry Red! (=magenta pink) heck, lame flake it too whilst you're at it :P 

• Thanks 1

Just now, WillyChang said:

I think WR02 handles heaps better than Lunchbox :) 

Kids too young to appreciate "comical" GH/Hornet plus they're crazy ex for what they are.

Dare say you're better off with that green tractor or even the red tractor with the kuma bear. Plus the WR02G has 2.2" rear tyres so they'll go further than WW2. 

Have seen some ripper deals on Farm King in the past, dunno if they're stil around. That body is just so unique... dare you to paint it PS33 Cherry Red! (=magenta pink) heck, lame flake it too whilst you're at it :P 

That would be AMAZING! 

I do like that Farm King!

Have I got this correct

CW01 (Lunchbox and Pumpkin) - 2WD

WR02 - 2WD with 4 big same size tyres

WR02G - 2WD with small front tyres and larger rears ( rears same size as WR02?)

GF01 is 4WD with 4 big same tyres.

If I get the above right I can start looking in earnest ( if he doesn't object lol) 

• Haha 1

Super.

Ouch, just seen there's a HPI WheeliKing 4x4 that looks like it holds wheelies longer than anything Tamiya make!

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

I do like that Farm King!

Have I got this correct

WR02G - 2WD with small front tyres and larger rears ( rears same size as WR02?)

Almost - the WR-02G uses TLT tyres up front and WT-01 tyres at the back. These are taller and narrower than the WR-02 tyres and benefit from being spaced out slightly using G6-01 axles and 9mm or 10mm hexes otherwise they bind on the chassis rails with full compression of the rear suspension. 

• Like 1

A pink VLB would be my choice. Fit it with a 55-80 turn motor. Get some stickers and let her decorate it herself... Fit it with seats for Barbie and Teddy to ride along.

• Like 1

From experience of my lads Lunchbox, which he had at 3. To make it controllable for him, I had to swap the motor for a 60T crawler motor.

That slowed it so he could control it, but it didn't have enough poke to pull any wheelies.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Ouch, just seen there's a HPI WheeliKing 4x4 that looks like it holds wheelies longer than anything Tamiya make!

Maybe, but it's hideous...   :huh:  I think the Tamiya wheelie cars also inspire 'fun' just from their looks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Almost - the WR-02G uses TLT tyres up front and WT-01 tyres at the back. These are taller and narrower than the WR-02 tyres and benefit from being spaced out slightly using G6-01 axles and 9mm or 10mm hexes otherwise they bind on the chassis rails with full compression of the rear suspension. 

Thanks pal, so the WR02G might even have a slightly wider track than the WR02... might do one less roll over per battery pack ;)

Does that mean the smaller front wheels lower the ground clearance.. if so does it pose an issue for getting hung up stuck anymore than a WR02 would ( I think I'm being an over analysing dufus at this point in

worrying about this 'performance' aspect on a Wheelie RC lol)

22 minutes ago, Bromley said:

A pink VLB would be my choice. Fit it with a 55-80 turn motor. Get some stickers and let her decorate it herself... Fit it with seats for Barbie and Teddy to ride along.

Sweet I'd forgotten you can go slower than a silver can ;)

9 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

From experience of my lads Lunchbox, which he had at 3. To make it controllable for him, I had to swap the motor for a 60T crawler motor.

That slowed it so he could control it, but it didn't have enough poke to pull any wheelies.

And another good point... too slow and it stops the only point if owning one for me... maybe a 30t motor might give wheelies.

8 minutes ago, Mahjik said:

Maybe, but it's hideous...   :huh:  I think the Tamiya wheelie cars also inspire 'fun' just from their looks.

Yes I agree... I just ruled out the HPI offering :)

• Like 1

BTW, I am a little biased.  While I don't own a Tamiya wheelie model (yet), every Wild Willy video I see online always makes me smile.  ;)

The problem with making it slow is that it effects the wheelie ability.

At least with the Lunchbox chassis you have that big shelf at the back that can add weight to so you can probably get away with a slower motor and still be able to pull wheelies.

I've done a lot of mods to my Lunchbox now so it handles quite a lot better but even stock, I never found it as bad as some people say. It understeers like a barge and only tightens up when you release the throttle but I find this helps to stop it rolling a lot of the time. If you put a slower motor in its going to be even more stable.

That being said, the newer vehicles are inherently more stable and better handling out of the box with the possible exception of those silly tractors although even those are surprisingly good considering how unstable they LOOK lol.

The only issue with the newer cars is that it's harder to add weight to the back to try and coax them to wheelie even with a slow motor.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Thanks pal, so the WR02G might even have a slightly wider track than the WR02... might do one less roll over per battery pack ;)

Does that mean the smaller front wheels lower the ground clearance.. if so does it pose an issue for getting hung up stuck anymore than a WR02 would.

The ground clearance is a bit lower with the smaller front tyres, but the spikes on the rears give better grip, which makes it easier to push through and over obstacles. Front ground clearance is seldom an issue with a wheelie model anyway. 

The width as stock is a bit narrower, but is readily widened, by longer axles or wider arms. Even in stock form though, it is more stable than a WW2 due to having a lighter polycarbonate shell and consequently a lower CoG.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

I’m pretty sure you have an LB in stock ready to build....

Come on, mate. Play the game lol

13737585-shhh-silence-please.thumb.jpg.571b16a19e173542bc2925f3a8e0c674.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

What about a comical grasshopper or Hornet? 

+1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

I’m pretty sure you have an LB in stock ready to build....

God you know my hoarding better than my wife lol.... shhhhhhh yes you're right it's a NIB Black Edition LB but I want that kept 'clean' for myself.

I suppose the cheapest option would be buy a spare LB body to paint pink for about £35 inc windows and chrome C parts.

Is there a lexan Lumchbox shell to buy?

If not,  can the black LB body be painted just like the white shell?

28 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Come on, mate. Play the game lol

13737585-shhh-silence-please.thumb.jpg.571b16a19e173542bc2925f3a8e0c674.jpg

I know.... solidarity brother ;)

21 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Is there a lexan Lunchbox shell to buy?

Even better - there are loads and loads of 205mm-210mm wheelbase Kamtec shells designed for Mardave bangers that will fit. Cars and vans of all sorts. Most are available in polycarbonate or ABS and most cost under a tenner. 

• Like 1

Good shout on the 2nd shell for the LB or I have a WW2 going spare if want to put some characters in it for your little one.