80skidtoo

RX help please!

I've searched the forums and google but honestly the info and variations are all so confusing not to mention overwhelming. Here's what I have and hopefully someone can point me in the direction I need for a proper setup.

I'm getting back into the hobby after over 10 years being away. My original set ups are as follows:

2005 Lunchbox with a TEU-104BK 

2005 Pumpkin with a TEU-101BK

Both had old style AM radios with BEC built into the RX

I'm using 1800mah + 3000mah NiMH batteries

Fast forward to a week ago. I bought a Spektrum STX2 2.4GHZ radio with RX and a HK-GT2E with RX . Tonight it seems the Spektrum RX is toast - it seems to be because there's no built in BEC anymore - but my problem is how do I rectify this so it doesn't happen again? Can't seem to figure that part out...

Also I just got my Blitzer Beetle kit in the mail and now I'm afraid I bought the wrong radio system for that one... 

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I'm wondering if this would be suitable to solve the problem -

HobbyWing QuicRun 1:10 Waterproof Brushed 60A ESC

I'm not looking to hop up these - I'd really just like to run them for fun again with my boys

• Like 2

Welcome back to the hobby!  

Every ESC should have BEC built into it. I am not familiar with TEU ESCs. All I know is TEU units give full voltage to the receiver, which might not be good if the receiver and servos are designed for 6v. But more recent TBLE02S ESC limits the voltage to 6v. Of course, Quicrun ESC also does the same.  I suppose the trend has been to have the ESC control the voltage than to have the receivers do it.  After all, regulating the current is what ESC does.

Almost all of us have started RC sometime in the past and gotten back to it again.  If you post your questions, I'm sure 99% will be answered.  

Thanks for the reply - definitely been scouring the internet tonight - back when I last was into it - this wasn't an issue, the Futaba RX had a built in BEC with the AM system. but your right - the trend has been to move that to the ESC... learned the hard way tonight that the older Tamiya ESC units do not have the BEC... :( You can't just plug in a new 2.4ghz RX & TX and expect the fun to last very long... Is this QuicRun a decent replacement? I'm not racing or anything, just want something to work and play with in the yard etc.

I appreciate the help and advice! 

Yes, Quicrun has become the standard, like Futaba S3003 servo used to be the standard servo back in the days.  

It's quite capable too.  It can handle motors down to 12t motor, and input voltage up to 11.1v.  And waterproof. 

I have not used that voltage regulator.  I suppose it could work.  Just make sure the plugs are compatible.  

• Like 1

To throw a spanner in the works, you can get rx which can take that voltage, but then you need servos which can too. The voltage specs for them are usually the nominal voltage, so my sanwa rx are rated 7.4v and i run a 2s lipo plugged directly into the rx on my nitro buggy which is charged to 8.4v and its fine.

I suspect your servos couldn't handle this voltage though, even if you find an rx that can. The HK GT2E might handle the voltage fine, my Flysky (the HK is a rebranded Flysky) handle up to 8.4v (I suspect this is an actual not nominal voltage, I guess 7s NiMH is 8.4v though but a weird sized rx pack). It says the voltage range on the rx.

So to summarise, yes buy the HW quicrun - do it once do it right. I had so many porblems trying to mix and match old and new gear, ended up with all new or all old.

• Thanks 1

Quick question.

What is the cell count on your receiver pack? Those new Spektrum STX2 receivers cannot handle much at all. That being said, if you are only running a 5 cell pack for the RX, then you need to contact Horizon Hobby and have your receiver replaced under warranty. They are 6V receivers and should handle that. But from people already getting them in the new Arrma rigs, they have shown to not handle power very well. They will most definitely not live with a 7.2 volt 6 cell pack.

I suspect that we will soon see something else being supplied with the new Arrma RTR rc's, as these "new" Spektrum STX2 radios are taking a beating in terms of satisfaction from users.

• Sad 1

Ya, I'm running the 6cell 7.2v 3000mah battery :( I did order a replacement RX last night along with the ESC i mentioned above - but with the new ESC installed will I still run the risk of blowing another RX? Lots of changes it seems in the hobby since I was last in it - these things I haven't had to worry about, buy a kit, radio system, battery and charger and voila your in business. But really, I think my problem starts with using old and new together. Old radio was toast so silly me thinking I can just buy a new one and plug it in - would have been better off maybe just buying a new kit - but the Pumpkin & Lunchbox - come on! - love it lol :) Good thing I've left my original blackfoot on the shelf for now while I manage this learning curve...

1 hour ago, 80skidtoo said:

Ya, I'm running the 6cell 7.2v 3000mah battery :( I did order a replacement RX last night along with the ESC i mentioned above - but with the new ESC installed will I still run the risk of blowing another RX? Lots of changes it seems in the hobby since I was last in it - these things I haven't had to worry about, buy a kit, radio system, battery and charger and voila your in business. But really, I think my problem starts with using old and new together. Old radio was toast so silly me thinking I can just buy a new one and plug it in - would have been better off maybe just buying a new kit - but the Pumpkin & Lunchbox - come on! - love it lol :) Good thing I've left my original blackfoot on the shelf for now while I manage this learning curve...

The ESC will work fine and deliver the voltage needed. This is also how Horizon Hobby runs them in their new Spektrum controlled lineups from Arrma. The ESC will regulate the voltage, so no more fried RX.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DK308 said:

The ESC will work fine and deliver the voltage needed. This is also how Horizon Hobby runs them in their new Spektrum controlled lineups from Arrma. The ESC will regulate the voltage, so no more fried RX.

awesome thanks so much for your help! this forum is the best! 

• Like 1

TBH for garden running and for a bit of fun your old radio gear would probably do if it works ok , and just swap out the old ESC for 1060 . The new 2.4 will be good for more range and less interference

3 hours ago, 80skidtoo said:

awesome thanks so much for your help! this forum is the best! 

Yup, excellent place. Can't really take all the credit for this I think, but you're welcome :)