Pablo68

Striker on the way.

Finally managed to find one fairly cheap and what looks like reasonable condition (ie: not in half, but we'll see I guess), so I snapped it up.
Just have to wait for it. Admittedly it's a car I never really wanted, but it could be good for a laugh. Then I'll see if I can do anything with it.

You can all congratulate me in here.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

@Pablo68 I for sure will eagerly await further news of this much maligned... actually, strike that, gorgeous RC that is the Striker.

I think you are in the land down under so that Striker would have been out of postage range for me to snap up before you lol... I have 5 of them in case you didn't know ;)

Lookkng forward to your updates and I hope it's not cracked in half and that both the little square tabs holding the rear arms in are all in place too :)

@Grastens I still got my eye on your one when you finally need some shelf space.

• Haha 1

Mines coming along, just some missing parts to find.

At the moment the lower chassis side tabs although missing are not proving to be an issue (I have got brackets at the ready though!)

IMG_20190423_181555.jpg

• Like 3

It's still the only car where anyone has said to me, don't get one.

God I found that amusing.

• Haha 1

The Striker arrived today.
It was everything I dreamed it would be.......(just think about that statement for a bit).

It's all stripped down now and I will decide exactly what I want to do with it.

Obviously it needs a chassis repair.....

• Like 2

Still sitting in the box in pieces.
Got a new/old chassis for it. Going to try and design some strengthening for it a'la something like Pintopower would design.
Gonna clean it and start re-assembling it today.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 5:59 AM, Pablo68 said:

Still sitting in the box in pieces.
Got a new/old chassis for it. Going to try and design some strengthening for it a'la something like Pintopower would design.
Gonna clean it and start re-assembling it today.

How are you getting on!??

@pablo68 

• Like 1

Heya,

It's still in bits, I did buy a new chassis for it and a bunch of bearings.
Only snag is the spur/idler gear is a bit chewed out. I've chucked others in there but every time I close up the gearbox the gear train gets tight and not free spinning/moving.
Not really sure what the issue is to be honest and I've been alternately too busy or tired from work to get back to it.

I'd also like to get my hands on a Sonic Fighter front tower a bit later down the track to modify the suspension if I can.
Haven't had a chance to start on the 3D printing/Designing.

• Like 1

I had one for about a month, the front end was soggy, so I replaced the springs, only to find they were soggy from factory. The upgraded shocks are a good idea, but then they wouldn't be a vintage stryker. The plastic drive shafts put me off, so I sold it, I didn't like the look or the way it drive. But I gave it chance, it was one I wanted in my vintage collection, but not enough to warrant keeping it.

• Like 1

I think Striker and SF are Tamiyas 'Marmite' , you either love 'em or hate 'em . I prefer the FX10 for looks , but needless to say , all Tamiya models have great appeal .

• Like 1

Ok it's been a while,
Life has been getting in the way of me actually re-assembling and running this piece of Tamiya Magnificence.
Has anyone out there who knows the Striker ever had a problem with the gearbox binding when assembled?
Every time I close it up it just starts to bind and not spin as freely as I'd like.

I've assembled maybe 6/7 over the years, never had that issue, your sure you have the right gear set?

• Thanks 1

Yeah to be honest it could be that. It seems centered on the bushes that it came with. The bearings I bought for it don't seem to fit as well as they should I think. Like the small one doesn't go deep enough into the idler gear.

Sometimes it's really tight, needing to be tapped in!

• Like 1

These really need some sort of brace on the lower chassis where the front suspension and steering are located. They are really fragile there. In addition to that you have the typical Falcon gearbox problems. For now I have given up hope to run one but I do have a Sonic Fighter wreck with which I would like to do something with.

• Thanks 1

So how are you getting in now? @Pablo68

Here's my runner, no brace ...it will be fine as long as there's no jumping! 😁

img2692_315201995352_2_1100_.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, taffer said:

So how are you getting in now? @Pablo68

Here's my runner, no brace ...it will be fine as long as there's no jumping! 😁

img2692_315201995352_2_1100_.jpg

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I've been scrounging at work trying to find an end mill or something I could use to whisk a little out of the bore the small bearing goes into as it seems that's where the problem originates.

Ok, bought that hand reamer, and also an 8mm end mill.
The end mill got here first do I tried that. Whisked out a tiny bit of material from the bearing hole then placed the bearing in there, which sit flush now and perfect.
Put it all back together and now the gearbox runs silky smooth, not tight.

All that time I hadn't figured out how to fix the gearbox could have been spent ordering in an 18T pinion for the **** thing, which I thought I had one of, but didn't.
(The old one is toasted) Waiting for one of those now.

But for all that it's mostly back together now.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, Winniez said:

These really need some sort of brace on the lower chassis where the front suspension and steering are located. They are really fragile there. In addition to that you have the typical Falcon gearbox problems. For now I have given up hope to run one but I do have a Sonic Fighter wreck with which I would like to do something with.

Are you doing anything with the front shock tower? Even a broken one would be handy, then I could draw it up and 3D print it.
This goes out to anyone else reading this too btw.