Pablo68

Striker on the way.

You

4 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Are you doing anything with the front shock tower? Even a broken one would be handy, then I could draw it up and 3D print it.
This goes out to anyone else reading this too btw.

The part is different in Striker and Sonic Fighter since Sonic has oil shocks, you specifically want the Sonic Fighter one? I would like to keep the shock tower for now, the project will be totally useless without it if I ever come back to it.

I could loan it to you though if you just need it as a sample

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Winniez said:

You

The part is different in Striker and Sonic Fighter since Sonic has oil shocks, you specifically want the Sonic Fighter one? I would like to keep the shock tower for now, the project will be totally useless without it if I ever come back to it.

I could loan it to you though if you just need it as a sample

Oh no, if you're going to need it then keep it. I was just wondering if you or anyone else had one spare. Can't find one anywhere, and a broken one I could measure up and reproduce in 3D.
Thanks for the offer though.
Oh yeah, the reason I want one is so later down the track I can upgrade the shocks to oil units.

• Like 1

So, I did a short test drive today.
It's.......interesting actually. I think perhaps the driver needs to change his name to 'Bouncy Roop'.
It handles not unlike the Falcon, reasonably sure footed despite the bouncing. It needs the tires to be glued as well.

The build itself.....well it came to me in not too good condition and was cheap at least. The gearbox wasn't able to turn much and the chassis came standard broken up front.
I secured a new/old stock chassis, (so that was me Jason1145, sorry! but I really needed it) and also bought bearings all round and bought/scrounged gears for it.

Those who have read through the thread are already familiar with the gearbox story, but it's buttery smooth now. I've popped in an esc because the old msc's are the work of satan himself.

Now the engineering/design deficiencies of this car are well known, but I don't think I've ever seen mention of the way the battery is installed. Who thought that was a good idea?
You have to wedge the connectors and cables into the small space between the chassis and the end of the battery. Terrible terrible design.

At the end of the day I can only surmise that this car was the result of hours in the boardroom making decisions heavily influenced by lashings of late 80's cocaine and the general surrounding feel of the bubble economy era in Japan.

For all that I have come to really like this car for what it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

strange as I know people group the Striker and SF together as Marmite, never liked the Striker while I always liked the SF, @taffer nice job on yours.

• Like 1

You have to feel sorry for all those poor fools who don't like these cars, or appreciate their brilliance.....

• Like 1

Did one of these Sonic Fighters come from Texas by any chance? We sold one recently, and I've been wondering where it ended up.

6 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

You have to feel sorry for all those poor fools who don't like these cars, or appreciate their brilliance.....

Think of the avante like prices if everyone liked them!😲🤣

• Haha 1

i think it's only fair I should show you guys a picture of this car I've been rabbiting on about all this time.
I really only replaced the chassis, and got rid of the old electrics including one servo. It's not fancy but it is a (gentle) runner so.
I've named him Jeff ;)

oh yeah, I had test drive 2 today.
It's amazing how much better a car runs with the tyres properly glued. Much more responsive, but added to the general bouncyness, there is understeer, quite a bit of it.
It will need some weight in the nose methinks.
Now despite the bouncyness and understeer, it handles ok, better than my Hornet in fact (I know I know, that's not saying an awful lot).

I mean I look at people with their fancy TRF's, Schumachers, Associated B4-5-6-7's etc, and I look at me, with what I've got. And I ask, who is the real winner here?

Jeff.jpg

• Like 1

You are the winner! Now you have to take it apart again to paint the chassis!

• Haha 1

Finished at last, shelfer at front, runner behind, notice the two different silvers!

IMG_20190916_154406.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, taffer said:

Finished at last, shelfer at front, runner behind, notice the two different silvers!

IMG_20190916_154406.jpg

They look really good!

Ugh. You characters have me wishing for a Sonic Fighter re-release! The restorations you've done look so much better than I remember them. Have either of you posted driving video?

• Like 1

I haven't posted any videos, the kit rear springs are slightly too stiff so I will experiment with softer ones to get more movement.

the driving experience is solid with understeer, the weight is more biased to the rear and benefits from brake turns to change direction quickly (similar to the fox).....this is tarmac

on loose dirt, fine gravel dust surfaces (like most Tamiya models) it excels with some nice power sliding......

• Like 1

Mea culpa, I may just be too lazy to paint the chassis.....plus I kinda like it how it is....