Hoyty

Precise and accurate battery measurements? 7.2V flat packs

I am getting back into the game with some vintage cars after being out for 30 years. I used to have Tamiya NiCd 1200 black and 1700 gold packs as well as some hand built packs. They are of course way dead after that long. I bought some Dynamite Speedpacks. First one I got was a 2400 which was a little bigger. Then I got a 5100 and it was quite a bit bigger in all dimensions. So much so it wouldn't fit in any of my cars. Just wondering if there are good reliably accurate measurements some where that I can look up? I found some for Onyx ones but what I found say their 2000 is same size as Dynamite 5100 which is hard to believe. Thanks for any pointers.

I can measure some MIMH packs in a few days. But just curious. What's the measurements of your old packs and your new packs?

Which models are your new packs not fitting in?

1 minute ago, Mahjik said:

You should be able to find the exact dimensions online like here:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/horizon-hobby-best-brands/backorder/onyx/72v-4600mah-nimh-sub-c-stick%3A-standard-plug-p-onxp5467

• Dimensions: 5.5 x 1.8 x 0.94" (139 x 46 x 24mm)

It's often you can't trust those. I have had a lot of packs over the years where the listed measurements were off. Quick example. My 5200 Gens Ace 3S Lipo packs are listed as being 24mm thick. They are however, 28mm. Usually packs are closer than that, but it's always a good idea to measure.

2 minutes ago, DK308 said:

It's often you can't trust those. I have had a lot of packs over the years where the listed measurements were off. Quick example. My 5200 Gens Ace 3S Lipo packs are listed as being 24mm thick. They are however, 28mm. Usually packs are closer than that, but it's always a good idea to measure.

I've never had a problem with any measurement of a NiMH or Lipo pack to date.  They have been spot on for me.  I've even bought some off brands and the measurements that were listed on the sites I ordered were the exact of what was received.  If the measurements aren't matching, I would look more at where you are ordering from...

19 minutes ago, Mahjik said:

I've never had a problem with any measurement of a NiMH or Lipo pack to date.  They have been spot on for me.  I've even bought some off brands and the measurements that were listed on the sites I ordered were the exact of what was received.  If the measurements aren't matching, I would look more at where you are ordering from...

I usually make it a point to look up the measurements on the manufactures websites, so it's not because I put too much trust into websites who only sell them.

If the manufacturer can't get their own measurements right, there isn't much anyone can do about that (except post negative reviews for said manufacturer so they hopefully fix their own practices).  All of the reseller sites are just going to post whatever the manufacturer provides anyway (i.e. they aren't going to do their own measurements).

15 hours ago, Hoyty said:

I found some for Onyx ones but what I found say their 2000 is same size as Dynamite 5100 which is hard to believe. Thanks for any pointers.

DSC_2760

DSC_2762

DSC_2761

• Like 2

Looks like the manufacturer sizes are pretty spot on:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/storefronts/onyx/72v-3000mah-nimh-sub-c-stick%3A-standard-plug-p-onxp5311

FWIW, I use the Venom NiMH batteries with my Hotshot and their sizing was pretty spot on as well.  Although, the downside was that I needed a converter for the connector (or had to solder a new connector).

4 hours ago, Mahjik said:

I use the Venom NiMH batteries

I use the Venom LiPo battery, that's made to fit Tamiya cars.  Actual battery is smaller, but padded to fit Tamiya, so it would not rattle around.  I think that's a good idea.  It made me feel comfortable.  A lot lighter and powerful too because of larger C rating. 

Just in case Hoyty is leaving LiPo as an option. (It took me quite a while to jump into LiPo after restarting the hobby too. So no pressure.)  

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-4000mAh-LiPo-Battery-Tamiya/dp/B002QE3AVE  (dimensions are right, but the picture seems to show 3S...)  

And some unknown companies offer slightly smaller size too (I suspect, something like this is what's in the Venom Tamiya pack).  

https://www.amazon.com/Batteriol-Battery-5200mAh-Airplane-Helicopter/dp/B07MGJKTZ9/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_clickstream_2_dp?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_r=B5GFPXGB97RKF5B3XPBR&pd_rd_w=F1Kda&pd_rd_wg=KzzJA#customerReviews

• Like 2