ThePinionMinion

Compatibility woes and worries... Help please :(

Dear racers, builders and collectors

To BEC or not to BEC... THAT is the question... :/

I have recently joined your wonderful club, mainly because I fell in love with Tamiya and all the wonders and joys of RC's again. So, like many I had the Grasshopper as a kid and nostalgia made me reinvest in the reissued version which was a great joy to build as well as owning it once more. Since that time, I've bought the HotShot, Neo Fighter and a few others. The latest is Monster Beetle, however, since it's been a while since I built one again, I noticed my Carson's Reflex Wheel Ultimate Touch 2.4G's (this is the one Carson Reflex-Wheel-Ultimate) has a BEC that is a bit hard to find these days and anywhere I find it costs a bundle not to mention the shipping costs is astronomical. 

I need one so I may bind the Monster Beetle to my Remote Controller, I have the HotShot, Neo Fighter to bind perfectly, but I am now looking for another BEC to put into the Monster Beetle and maybe even upgrade my Grasshopper for the same reason. 

I have found these, which I don't know will bind with my Reflex Wheel Ultimate Touch Remote Controller:

Carson 500501533 - Reflex Wheel Receiver PRO 3, 2.4 GHz

Press for Info

and this one

Carson 500501536 - empfangerrefle xwheel Pro3, 2.4 GHz V.2

Press for Info

My question and hope here is to have someone explain to me if this is a possibility that my controller will bind with these two or do I explicitly need the one that came with the controller like this one (Sorry no image only description), or can I simply buy any of the above mentioned alternatives and they will bind with the remote controller without problems? I sure hope you guys might have an answer to this, it's a little frustrating as I'm still not entirely sure how these things work, I had tons of problems with brushless non-brushless Tamiya ESC, I couldn't figure out the differences and it didn't work... I'm sure I did something wrong, heck it took me three hours to put the Grasshopper's rubber wheels together... when I was a kid, I did it in 20min... I don't know what that means, but let's just leave it at that... ;)

I hope you guys can help me cause I'm at a loss here, I wish to buy it via Amazon, if possible, but since they don't have the one I use exactly I was hoping I might be able to use one of these. 

Here is the manual for the Controller from Carson I use for the RC's I have. 

User Manual for the Carson Reflex Wheel Ultimate Touch

The one place I found that might be okay but I don't know them, never ordered from them is this one: The Alternative however, the shipping is kind of a stab in the feelers, but, if this is the only place I can get it, or Tamico, then I guess I have to buy it... but please let me know if I can use those from amazon. 

Thanks a lot guys :)

Hi there,

The ones you have listed for Amazon don’t appear to list your transmitter as an option.

Your Ultimate Touch transmitter has additional functions that most cheaper sets do not have so the specific receivers are more expensive

However, is it worth you contacting Carson direct to see if the receivers will bind and allow you to use just the basic features of your transmitter?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Hi there,

The ones you have listed for Amazon don’t appear to list your transmitter as an option.

Your Ultimate Touch transmitter has additional functions that most cheaper sets do not have so the specific receivers are more expensive

However, is it worth you contacting Carson direct to see if the receivers will bind and allow you to use just the basic features of your transmitter?

Thank you for your reply, I feared it would lead me to contact them, as it seems to be the only solution. I once did because the wheel I had on the Remote was defective and it turns out I had to deal with a German person and communication wasn't really easy. I hope I can muscle my way through a conversation somehow to make myself easily understood so they may help me. :( But thank you for your reply I really do appreciate it. :)   Have a great weekend when you finally get there :)

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2019 at 10:34 PM, Badcrumble said:

Hi there,

Okay after a while Carson did reply and to my disappointment, the remote controller is actually ONLY compatible with that specific receiver. I think for such an amount and how advanced it is, I really had hoped that something like a receiver would be more compatible with older or other models of remotes. Also, it isn't easy to communicate with Carson because their service team is quite honestly lousy in answering questions. Firstly they reply with one line and rather vaguely so you need to ask another question that has nothing to do with what you asked, then someone else replies to you in German and when you write back that you don't speak German and before that email you were speaking with someone in English, they reply thank you for my reply without answering any questions. So I've been back and forth with the customer service team and it led me nowhere until a former employee I found by random search told me that Carson is notorious for not allowing their products to be flexible enough to enjoy for longer therefore forcing people to buy as many of the spare parts etc while the product is new and in products because it won't be compatible with future releases. Logically speaking every new software/hardware remote controller should recognise older receivers since they have the identifier code. But they exclude it so they can sell updated versions of their Remotes. I guess this isn't new and it's a bad trend in the world of Tech, never the less, I find it rather frustrating to be punished with such tactics as it will eventually cost me a great deal more to buy more receivers in the end than if I had gotten them when they were new. I don't know if there is an alternative to Carson's Remotes, because as a product it is wonderfully made and does what it needs, very well built and software wise it's great too. But it's just not that great that the ecosystem is so suffocating. I'm willing to find another brand if there is one anyone knows out there who DO offer backward compatibility with their own receivers. So that's all I got from Carson, a bit of a let down...