ThunderDragonCy

Comical Hornet WR02CB

I use WR02 rear and TLT front on my comical hornet clone much better traction than the CB tires.

• Like 1

Just measured the diameter on mine and these rims are the 1.9" size. I didn't measure the width, but I measured the rim bed at 1.85" compared to 2.15" on a Schumacher 2.2" wheel. I tried an old 2.2" Schumacher truck tyre and it was way too big. I am guessing there might be some interesting crawler tyres that might fit? I doubt 24mm slicks will stretch 😉

Otherwise, with being 12mm hex all round some other brand stadium truck 2.2s will go on super easy. 

Finished and installed the multipurpose driver figure in the Comical Hornet (it comes in the kit) 

20190505_134704

Its definitely a 5 footer, as in looks ok from 5 feet away! I have always been rubbish with brushes. Anyway, still pleased with how it turned out, the multi purpose driver figure set is brilliant. Really detailed with loads of options and die cut stickers. Highly recommended. 

20190505_134713

Also got and fitted an utterly superfluous (for this vehicle) hop up of reinforced 2 deg toe in rear uprights. I am a big fan of toe in uprights on entry level tamiyas. They really improve the rear end traction. I have them on my DT03, Ultra G and my Thunder Dragon. I spotted these listed as a hop up on tamiya USA. These are very nice and although I can't really tell any difference to the handling I like that I have them. They also came with 10mm wide hexes on the sprue, so I could potentially use those with TG10 axles to widen the rear track, should I wish to

20190505_134728 2019-05-05_02-36-19

• Like 3

Love this

assume you paint the exterior? What colour is the shell?

is there a ball race kit for it ?

JJ

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

Love this

assume you paint the exterior? What colour is the shell?

is there a ball race kit for it ?

JJ

Thanks! It's a lexan shell so paint the inside. Its Tamiya PS3 blue. Ball bearings are available. Just buy the WR02 kit. Its a lot of 1150s and a couple of 850s. I use rcbearings.co.uk

• Thanks 1

Superb - thank you 

think I’ll do mine a black metallic if I can find an ok paint 

for a small of £ I think it’s always worth putting ballrace in 

JJ

7 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Superb - thank you 

think I’ll do mine a black metallic if I can find an ok paint 

for a small of £ I think it’s always worth putting ballrace in 

JJ

Totally agree on ball races. I think Core RC do a metallic black polycarbonate paint. It is more temperature sensitive than tamiya paint but it does work. Another option might be tamiya smoke paint backed with silver, or gunmetal backed with black. 

Well it’s arrived 

but gutted the gearbox is pre assembled (I may take it apart)

the Core RC paint looks best grey on the lid but giving the corner of the lexan mould a few coats and I think it’s gonna be ok

BECC9990-99A2-496B-9BA3-B624030E0921.thumb.jpeg.a463af4b0d9045bfad01dd3137804ac6.jpeg

It has a nice sparkle to it :)

JJ

17 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

Well it’s arrived 

but gutted the gearbox is pre assembled (I may take it apart)

the Core RC paint looks best grey on the lid but giving the corner of the lexan mould a few coats and I think it’s gonna be ok

BECC9990-99A2-496B-9BA3-B624030E0921.thumb.jpeg.a463af4b0d9045bfad01dd3137804ac6.jpeg

It has a nice sparkle to it :)

JJ

It will look nice, and it does sparkle. Back it with some silver too. I used it on an old Top Force undertray and it came out really nice.

I would recommend pulling the gearbox apart. As shown higher up this thread, they come with bushings in there, so you need to get it apart to put the bearings in.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2019 at 8:25 PM, Problemchild said:

gutted the gearbox is pre assembled (I may take it apart)

On 6/18/2019 at 8:43 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

I would recommend pulling the gearbox apart. As shown higher up this thread, they come with bushings in there, so you need to get it apart to put the bearings in.

Agreed. The pre-assembled gearbox would have been a deal-breaker with my WR02C Honda City Turbo, but happily it also comes with bushings so that gave me an excuse to rebuild the gearbox! I genuinely wouldn't have bought it if it had been pre-assembled with bearings! Building the gearbox is one of the best bits!!

• Like 1

Well it needs some lube so Im going in ha

ordered neon carrot orange to try and mask up and paint the roll bars internally (cheapest paint at £3.99 delivered)

itll be the first attempt at masking up rather than relying on the stickers 

JJ

• Like 1

Forgot to post this. I did some 3d printed 8 deg c hubs. 

8 deg caster upright for WR02 and WT01 chassis by CTE RC on Shapeways 8 deg caster upright for WR02 and WT01 chassis by CTE RC on Shapeways

They will fit any RWD vehicle that uses TL01 derivative suspension - Any of the WT02 derivatives, WT01, M04, there may be others. It improves front grip. 

I did some 8 deg c hubs for my Comical Hornet. They will fit any RWD vehicle that uses TL01 derivative suspension - Any of the WT02 derivatives, WT01, M04, there may be others. It improves front grip. 

It does exactly the same job as Tamiya 54661 but is a bit cheaper. If you have a GF01 or 4WD WT variant you need the Tamiya part. These don't have a hole for the front driveshaft to maintain strength in the 3d printed material

They are on my Shapeways store now. The other bonus for Comical chassis owners is these come in a loaf of colours, so you can get a green one for your Grasshopper, or pink for your Frog. 

http://shpws.me/RiXw

• Like 2

Little aside after running this a bit today. It would lift off oversteer all the time. The kit tells you to fit the rear shocks to the inboard position for softest feel and easy wheelies. However it also gives loads of droop which means the moment you lift off and get some braking you get loads of weight transfer to the front and it just spins. Today i shifted the attachment to the outermost hole on the arms and it makes a massive difference. The rear end stays planted and its just way easier to drive. Really fun. Might need a faster motor! 

• Like 1

Not done an update for a while, but i have got back into running my Comical Hornet. I ran it at the indoor track at Tamiya Junkies meet last month. Was a lot of fun now i have the rear shocks sorted, but it was pretty much full throttle everywhere. 

2020-01-04_08-36-48

After this i put the Comical wheels back on. With the handling sorted I hoped the wheels would run well and they do, so i have sold on the GF01 wheels you can see in the above photo which were an attempt to get the handling better before i figured out it was the shocks. The proper wheels look so much better. 

Another thing i did was fit lights! I got a cheap £4 set of LEDs off ebay. They needed a bit of modification to fit and some insulating tape, plus a dab of shoegoo to hold the rears in, but they work and it really adds to it. Plus it's great for evening street running at this time of year. 

20200211_182252

Finally, after wanting a bit more pep following my track running, i spotted a Yeah Racing spur gear hop up for a few bucks on rcmart. I decided it to take a punt and it arrived today. It replaces the kit 38t spur gear with a 34t made of delrin, a self lubricating plastic. 

20200211_163603 20200211_163651

As a result, you run either a 22t or 24t pinion. I used a 24t in place of the 20t i used before. It drops the final drive ratio from 16.5 to 12.3. I gave it a quick run and it's definitely quicker, but still controllable and a lot of fun. I am still running the cheap 21t brushed motor and 1060 esc, and it's great. Highly recommended given how cheap it is. Especially if you are still running the kit silver can motor and haven't upgraded the soft pinion yet. Get a 24t gardened pinion and this spur and it'll give a really nice uplift in speed. Also fits GF01, WR02, WT01 and G601 (i think you need two for this though). 

Another thing i thought i would mention is my transmitter setup. I have the steering end points at 100% but the dual rate is turned right down to 38% which calms it right down. It still turns on a dime because of the short wheelbase. I also have the trottle curve on the brake side turned down to 35% on the reverse side to make the braking less harsh. 

Can't wait to give it another run at the track in a couple of weeks.

• Like 5

This thread is a great read. I'm just about to start my comical Grasshopper. Lots of useful info for me to steal :D

• Thanks 1

How durable are these things? Good for a ham fisted 7 year old boy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

Yup. Mine has been tumbled in the street many times and still works fine and looks good. Nothing broken yet. Go for it! 

2 hours ago, GTodd said:

Chassis can take a lot of punishment, body wise both Hornet and Frog over time, you may loose the rear wing. I would say the grasshopper body will last a lot longer.

12 hours ago, GTodd said:

I have a Comical Hornet with a 6 yo and a Comical Grasshopper with a 9 yo. I put the big bumper on, and there's scratches everywhere. Only victims are a few of the step screw/hinge pins for the upper arms have come undone  and got lost (not broken out). I bought them to bash, and I think they are great for that job!

On 1/26/2020 at 10:06 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Little aside after running this a bit today. It would lift off oversteer all the time. The kit tells you to fit the rear shocks to the inboard position for softest feel and easy wheelies. However it also gives loads of droop which means the moment you lift off and get some braking you get loads of weight transfer to the front and it just spins. Today i shifted the attachment to the outermost hole on the arms and it makes a massive difference. The rear end stays planted and its just way easier to drive. Really fun. Might need a faster motor! 

That is great to know! I have seen some vids of them racing in Japan on YT and noticed they don't tend to flip so was thinking there must be some setup that can be done easily to make it work.Good work!

I chose them for my kids because of your thread, it's been very helpful, and one of them chose the same color you did because they liked it so much. Please keep up the updates!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rainman said:

That is great to know! I have seen some vids of them racing in Japan on YT and noticed they don't tend to flip so was thinking there must be some setup that can be done easily to make it work.Good work!

I chose them for my kids because of your thread, it's been very helpful, and one of them chose the same color you did because they liked it so much. Please keep up the updates!

I suspect those racing ones might have some more tweaks, but it's definitely easier to drive. Just fit shocks at both ends on the widest, lowest ride height setting front and rear. 

I'm running it again at the track again on Saturday with the regular wheels and the speedier gearing. Glad your kids are having fun with them.