ThunderDragonCy

Comical Hornet WR02CB

On 2/12/2020 at 8:10 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

As a result, you run either a 22t or 24t pinion. I used a 24t in place of the 20t i used before. It drops the final drive ratio from 16.5 to 12.3. I gave it a quick run and it's definitely quicker, but still controllable and a lot of fun. I am still running the cheap 21t brushed motor and 1060 esc, and it's great. Highly recommended given how cheap it is. Especially if you are still running the kit silver can motor and haven't upgraded the soft pinion yet. Get a 24t gardened pinion and this spur and it'll give a really nice uplift in speed. Also fits GF01, WR02, WT01 and G601 (i think you need two for this though). 

Hey ThunderDragonCy, I was wondering how you calculated the final drive ratios, and if so if we can calculate for the standard pinion sizes available too, so we know what options are out there?

Took ours to a dirt track race day and they handled the jumps in a better manner than my Wild One. I think because they jump nose high and the Wild One didn't have enough pep so would nose in and endo after landing. Kids had a blast!

Race day sml.jpg

• Like 3

The stock gear ratios are 18.3 and 16.5 for the 18 and 20t pinions. It's on page 16 of the manual. Final Drive Ratio is calculated from the following

(Spur gear / pinion) x internal gearing = FDR

To calculate the above i counted the teeth on the spur gear (the gear that directly meshes with the pinion) from its drawing in the back of the manual. It's 38 teeth. From there i re-arranged the formula to discover the internal gearing because i knew everything else

FDR / (spur/pinion) = internal gearing

> 16.5 / (38/20) = 8.68

My new spur and pinion are 34t and 24t respectively so my new FDR is

(34/24) x 8.68 = 12.3

Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 2

Hi ThunderDragonCy,

I am planning to do the yeah racing spur mod, do I need 48p pinions for this, or Tamiya 0.6 mod ?

Thanks for any advice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaosfruitbat said:

Hi ThunderDragonCy,

I am planning to do the yeah racing spur mod, do I need 48p pinions for this, or Tamiya 0.6 mod ?

Thanks for any advice!

You need 0.6mod. Doesn't have to be Tamiya, but definitely 0.6mod. I got a Yeah Racing 24t when i ordered the speed gearset from rcmart, but in the uk i have used rw racing pinions too. 

• Like 1

question! do you apply a finisher after painting the driver?

could you please give me some PNs? I'm trying to gather all I need and I'm a bit confused with paints for the shell vs paint for the figure

thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pesanze said:

question! do you apply a finisher after painting the driver?

could you please give me some PNs? I'm trying to gather all I need and I'm a bit confused with paints for the shell vs paint for the figure

thanks!

I didn't use any laquer on the driver. For the shell, you need the Tamiya PS paint of your colour choice. I used PS3 Light Blue, but the boxart colour black is PS5 black. You spray it on the inside of the shell, then remove the film on the outside before adding the stickers. For the driver itself I used some small pots of acrylic paint I had in my box. Some were Tamya, others were Revell. The flesh colour is Tamiya XF-15. 

18 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I didn't use any laquer on the driver. For the shell, you need the Tamiya PS paint of your colour choice. I used PS3 Light Blue, but the boxart colour black is PS5 black. You spray it on the inside of the shell, then remove the film on the outside before adding the stickers. For the driver itself I used some small pots of acrylic paint I had in my box. Some were Tamya, others were Revell. The flesh colour is Tamiya XF-15. 

thank you!

• Like 2

On 5/4/2019 at 12:55 AM, Mokei Kagaku said:

I have had a look at the different wheels for the WR-02, WR-02G and WR-02CB.

59305989_10155922353042407_6364055623205

Above and below: from left to right: WR-02G front (TLT-1), WR-02CB, WR-02 and WR-02G rear (WT-01)

58961595_10155922353032407_8091997472638..........

I wish I could see these pictures. I'm looking for ideas and options for tires for the new comical wheels.

• Like 1

Mate - I'm surprised that I haven't seen this before!! Being a quite non serious RC.... There's not many good threads or Videos (except for the pure bashing and thrashing type). 

I was like you in the first post.... Not really getting the whole "Comical" Series - but still curious. This might be the perfect Buggies for my two oldest Grandsons!!! And maybe the Comical Avante for Gampy!! 😜 Because 4 Wheel Drive. 

I've been compiling a list for next year, after my Inheritance FINALLY comes in. These just made the cut!! 😁

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 4:26 AM, waterbok said:

I use WR02 rear and TLT front on my comical hornet clone much better traction than the CB tires.

Could you upload a picture when you have time please Waterbok? I'm looking for alternatives using the CB wheels and wide V-Tread tires. Cheers

On 2/17/2020 at 7:49 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

I suspect those racing ones might have some more tweaks, but it's definitely easier to drive. Just fit shocks at both ends on the widest, lowest ride height setting front and rear. 

I'm running it again at the track again on Saturday with the regular wheels and the speedier gearing. Glad your kids are having fun with them. 

@ThunderDragonCy I'm about to build mine - is it fairly straightforward to see that ride height setting in the manual? Also does it have much impact on driving in long grass etc ?

22 minutes ago, jellon said:

@ThunderDragonCy I'm about to build mine - is it fairly straightforward to see that ride height setting in the manual? Also does it have much impact on driving in long grass etc ?

Not sure it is directly pointed out in the manual, but just fit the bottom of the shocks to the outermost holes in the arms. 

Depends on the grass. They have pretty decent clearance, but test and see. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2020 at 4:41 AM, Metallic said:

Could you upload a picture when you have time please Waterbok? I'm looking for alternatives using the CB wheels and wide V-Tread tires. Cheers

Sorry for the delay

KEpLA2K1R3mC6SwqorQiaQpLbvGxSuts4hL423v7knryMraFu1WqyM5WnGNo_58GzU_0F02wURs3SLrRvlqsgTkqULYnkigSaW0TeXD-Abnp0GjkEP8PrCXYkigIgk4Un8DRc9X7tR7OG2oJHljgYvqVKVZmuLyxiRisKK_EOMcaaVcH_fKUFr_jqDPxsKmlSlnwkGnrLKFVSU7zHEqqX-YwmF2by8eK1jJj8DTCTWgUN1x7NyjUx1OWh-h7dJyEe0-E8EFZPNvylVPohZw66XMQ-YhTZn6aL8g9lRZlLsOVmQux0REDQjm2olwLET-kaQZoSJ5F9npPPy1oZX49IyfG6TVBWw8gYUcuGi7UqrmPMy6Zvxr0cZw7KwSPQ4ESUizN8Tj3flNEC6HGSQU3dzKxQfItdr1pjKjM8pz9RCPlqx2UoGYSCfrWh_-zEW-ZjBKNSLOX8SiCxMcwSoai75ddjpQR2S_kzPW5kM407RvQNvdnW4plBaB8Fe-2TifnKylfOdxaR1uk3QJUqwQyloIBDWD_1ggYvVKTaDWmFYJeVgcHWevbc0DAkiLq6aD4XElcRMWFmAjNr_8uex4bW5PMfgUX76FWbwrxQ3wE9xc6zIsW9RD0v1FlIwh5NvYvANT-ShC5-k6RoF4R3RdKljd-jhAgZv27GydbcOM-_40DLCrfOh0xMyx4sWh-2w=w1488-h914-no?authuser=0