Asymair95

Porsche 911 rally TT02

On 4/29/2019 at 3:37 AM, Asymair95 said:

Tried to get an angle to show how the rear tires are recessed a bit. Anyone have any ideas to widen it out?

Those are 2-piece wheels? Tamiya makes 2 kinds of 2-piece wheel rim. (4 if you count wide separately).  The amount of offset you get depends on which side of the rim you attach the wheel centres to, so with the 2 types of wheel, you get 4 choices of offset. If I remember correctly, one kind gives you very wide offset or none (the ones with a solid rim with a circle going through all the screw holes), while the other gives you 2 medium-sized offsets (the kind with the 5 round holes).

So maybe you can get more width with the other kind of 2-piece wheel rim, depending on what you've got at the moment. 

Yes, thank you, that is helpful. These are the rim bezels that came with the kit. You can see how much wider the rear rim is on the right.

TZvYRQM.jpg

I purchased a set of these more standard rims to replace the above ones. I’m thinking the fuchs center piece will drop in? If so, it will open up a wider selection  of rally and scale tires for me. I am unsure if the offset will be any better though.

dCN0QdM.jpg

Working on scale bits and decals tonight. The window trim is driving me bananas. Hard to tell in the pic, but I affixed the rear grill to a sheet of lexan and cut it out. It was then glued on with shoe goo and gives a more realistic relief look.

nZUShMR.jpg

Got some scale wipers installed...pointing the correct way...lol. 

CS2F1Ka.jpg

• Like 1

I filled in the antenna hole in the roof with hot glue and painted it the body color from the inside, but the results were disappointing. It looks better than a gaping hole in the roof, but not by much.

mAZtPCb.jpg

• Like 1

Where did the wiper blades come from? Most of them i have tried are too long or dont fit the curve of the windscreen properly. Those look good.

It is a Tamiya kit.

3ALvW4k.jpg

The wipers were a bit long, so I cut them down and shaped them. You can heat them over a candle to change the angle to fit. They are still a bit out of scale, but better than a decal any day.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Asymair95 said:

I’m thinking the fuchs center piece will drop in? If so, it will open up a wider selection  of rally and scale tires for me. I am unsure if the offset will be any better though.

dCN0QdM.jpg

Yes these are the same wheels but in chrome. The offset will be the same too (note you have a choice of 2 offsets depending on which way around you have the rim). If you want a much more extreme offset you'll need the other type of 2-piece rim, the one without holes. They are the ones on the ta01 celica and skyline.  

I purchased a set of these more standard rims to replace the above ones. I’m thinking the fuchs center piece will drop in? If so, it will open up a wider selection  of rally and scale tires for me. I am unsure if the offset will be any better though.

Those are exactly the same offset - it's the same mould but chrome plated, so yes the Fuchs centres will fit.

Got some scale wipers installed...pointing the correct way...lol. 

A bit late given you've now made holes, but for future reference there are a few models with straight wipers that work really well. I've used Alfa 155 ones here, but the Lancia 037 are even better, and cheaper as you don't need to buy two trees (the Alfa only has a single wiper)

934-49400-frontside-high.jpg

I filled in the antenna hole in the roof with hot glue and painted it the body color from the inside, but the results were disappointing. It looks better than a gaping hole in the roof, but not by much.

A strategically placed sticker will fix that!

• Like 2

Thank you, I was thinking those rims would fit. Will see how the offset works out. Think they will look good on here with a blacked out center.

Beautiful Porsche you have there. Can you post a link to the 037 wiper tree you were speaking of please? Seems like I’m always in need of more wipers.

More details and decals going on. This is the wife’s car, so it needed to pass tech inspection by the Mrs. before proceeding.

She likes the sponsor decal placement on this car, so I will be trying to get as close as possible...no middle stripe though.

DdOpmT5.jpg

Got all the screens painted, cut to fit, and glued in with hot glue. I know the brake cooling ducts on 1:1 scale cars are actually a tube of some kind and probably have no screen over them. But, because of the thin nature of these bodies I thought a screen would be better and just as dramatic.

IFrq7sj.jpg

LFbgyUl.jpg

Cheapest way to source screening is spark arrestors for small engine lawn equipment. Way cheaper and more realistic than hobby screening. Side ducts are spark arrestors, and middle is hobby screening.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Asymair95 said:

Beautiful Porsche you have there. Can you post a link to the 037 wiper tree you were speaking of please? Seems like I’m always in need of more wipers.

Thank you! 

037 wipers are on the H-Parts, 19004467

Decals are done! Nothing fancy, but that is what the boss wanted.

NkHK8Ba.jpg

• Like 1

New rims arrived, they are the same as the front rims supplied with the kit.

8CLBHYk.jpg

The offset is the same also, no surprises there.

BEIVVea.jpg

Getting the rims painted today. Still waiting on tires though.

• Like 1

Really enjoyable build. Great work. Looking forward to seeing some action shots!

Need some help. I don’t like the way this hood number decal looks on here without the white background.

VFzBuBt.jpg

I would like it to look more like the door number decals with the white background with number on top.

JkeQW6T.jpg

My question is how do I remove the number 8 decal from the hood without ruining it so I can then put it on top of the white background? Was thinking of heating from underneath with a hair dryer to loosen the glue and then try and peel it up? Anyone have any luck with that?

Started working on the cockpit while waiting for my tires to get here. 

KYH551q.jpg

Rims are ready to go. Not sure if I want silver mounting nuts, or totally blacked out. Will wait till the tires get here to decide I guess.

Mailman brought me some tires. They look great on the standard rims. For kicks I tried to mount them on the wide rear rims, but they looked silly.

k7UWn5p.jpg

Something I never realized about these tires is that they are directional. From this pic you can definitely see there is a right and left side. I really like the tread and diameter of these tires. They very closely mimic the rounded taller sidewall of the tires from this era. 

3buAt4g.jpg

Initial fitment of the body with the new wheels looks great. They fill out the wheel well nicely and do not rub on anything. Wheel offset is just about perfect with the wide axles installed. Now to get them glued up.

7JzZHnc.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/4/2019 at 4:39 PM, Asymair95 said:

mAZtPCb.jpg

whether be boat cowl wind shields, or trucks and cars widows, pinstripe, paint pens, paint brush is quite a chore. You did a magnificent job on yours. something i sorta kinda dread when it's time to do.

Got the cockpit all painted up. Need to hit it with some flat clear, install the heads, and mount it.

WkQ7yDR.jpg

Also got the white background installed behind the eight. I used a hair dryer to loosen the glue, but it was a fine line between loose glue, and stretchy/melty vinyl decal. When I finished, and stood back to admire my work, I realized the eight was upside down!!! C’mon man!

tk0PCYS.jpg

• Like 2

Some more painting today. A before and after of the matte clear. I like it for a few reasons. It gets rid of the toy like appearance of the body, it seals the edges of the decals to prevent dirt from getting under them and lifting, and lastly it seals the orange paint which is painted on the outside of the body.

lMjo71S.jpg

RjF82z1.jpg

• Like 4