Asymair95

Porsche 911 rally TT02

The cockpit is done. My painting skills are atrocious and I am glad it will be inside and somewhat hard to see...lol. Came out good though, I’m pleased with the overall appearance.

y2NvWIq.jpg

GXIJHZF.jpg

• Like 2

Cockpit is mounted and preliminary body height adjustments have begun. 

G7WinE8.jpg

UrmEjCz.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great with the mat coat - im trying to work out how you masked the windows though. Is the green coloured tape on the outside? So that you not masking off the whole window glass area just the centre?

Yes, the masking is on the outside for when I shot the clear coat. The edges of the windows I used Tamiya masking tape, and for the middle I used just regular painters tape. I tried to keep it a mm or so away from the edge of the window trim decal so the clear coat would seal the edges of the stickers.

Found a good scale looking tire for the wide Porsche rear rims. I ordered these on fleabay thinking they were the same as the set I have mounted on there now, only to find out they are slightly different. These tires are slightly wider and taller by a few mm.

4yMXHKq.jpg

You can see the height difference here, but it’s not bad.

qlZpQka.jpg

From the top you can see the difference in tread pattern. I have the tire mounted on the wide Porsche rim here, and as you can see it fits fine. Might be an option for someone down the road instead of new rims like I did.

My next build will be the new Audi Quattro rally whenever they are released here in the states. When I was a kid I had a matchbox car (1982) of this exact car. Will try and reproduce the livery when the time comes. 

UiU3z57.jpg

My five year old now likes to drive it around :)

• Like 1

I think it would look great with a nice weathering job, but this is the Mrs. car...and she wants it clean.

At some point I need to figure out how to light the rally lamps without having unsightly wires hanging out the back ruining the scale appearance. 

I’m very happy with the build, and can’t wait to get started on my Audi Quattro whenever they come in.

This car is looking really cool. B) How robust are the bumpers? I would be afraid to destroying them when I use the car.

Regarding the rally lamps you maybe should try enamelled copper wire (I hope you know what I mean). This is available in very small diameters and also in black colour.

First run is in the books. A really fun car to drive, just like the 240z is. Suspension was dang near perfect, going to leave it alone. Not surprising, since it is the same chassis as the 240z, with the same mods, and that one is dialed in nicely. Will try and get a video up at some point.

Or7lHOr.jpg

iZlg5fF.jpg

• Like 12

This is such an awesome build!

I wonder if there are option to put a Porsche 911 body on a lifted rear motor RWD chassis? 

M06 with TL01 suspension will work just fine. Might have to extend the wheelbase a little bit for this body as I think it has a 251mm wheelbase. M06 long wheelbase (239mm) is perfect for the GT2 Porsche body.

I know some mod has been done to the suspension to gather clearance, but would the build be ok without the suspension mod? 

• Can the TT-02 chassis be set to "high" ground clearance without those mod? 
  • Can I get the rims and tires for light off road use as is?

I *think* the Subaru Monte Carlo '99 kit also uses TT-02 chassis. I am wondering if the stock Porsche TT-02 kit be set up that way for a "lazy man" safari build?

It all depends on the terrain you’re driving in. The higher clearance the better, but the stock high setting should work for light off road.

There are lots of tire/rim choices on eBay. I chose mine because they are the most scale looking of all the tires I’ve seen. The traction isn’t the best, but it is fine for bashing around.

8 hours ago, stockae92 said:

I know some mod has been done to the suspension to gather clearance, but would the build be ok without the suspension mod? 

• Can the TT-02 chassis be set to "high" ground clearance without those mod? 
  • Can I get the rims and tires for light off road use as is?

I *think* the Subaru Monte Carlo '99 kit also uses TT-02 chassis. I am wondering if the stock Porsche TT-02 kit be set up that way for a "lazy man" safari build?

The mod is super easy though. You simply cut the travel limiter tabs off the uprights to give a little suspension travel and ride height. Of course it's "ok" to build without the mod though. It's your car - do what you like with it. That's the awesome thing about rc. You can do it your way. 

I have recently got a TT02 and on low setting with regular wheels it has about 7mm clearance. The high setting is simply flipping the uprights front and rear. It's a neat solution that gets you about 4mm more height. Rally blocks will give you another 2-3mm so a total of around 14-15mm. This is great for rally, and my own rally car runs this and will run fine on a buggy astroturf race track. Too low for a grass playing field, but fine for loose dirt and fine gravel. Even my race buggy only runs 19-20mm these days. 

I would still suggest cutting the lower tabs off though. They restrict the down travel / droop (the amount you can lift up the car from settled ride height before the wheels come off the ground) which is where the grip comes from on rough surface. I would also suggest some 53153 springs for softer spring options. 

Can you check that spring part number please,  it's coming up as an acto power motor.