Sign in to follow this  
Uranium

TBLE-02S+TBLM-02S?

title

would a TBLM-02S work with a TBLE-02S? i want to go brushless in the far future, but i don't want to get a new ESC, because...price. would it work together? thanks!

Yes, the TBLE-02S is rated down to 10.5T (with optional fan) and will run any sensored brushless motor. Unless you really want to stick to Tamiya I would look at other brand motors. If its for bashing then Trackstar or Speed Psssion are great bang for buck. I find 13.5T is generally a good match to most Tamiya buggies. The key to brushless motors is gearing them properly which can be a challenge for many Tamiya's since they often have fixed gearing or minimal pinion options.

Also, don't wait, just do it. Brushless motors are better and there is no downside

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are price conscious, Trackstar or Speed Passion would be a better choice.  TBLM motors are about $65, Trackstar or Speed Passions are about $35.  

Actually, for $65, you can get the Trackstar motor + an 80A ESC combo.  (That's a better ESC than 60A of TBLE)

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-roar-approved-1-10th-stock-class-brushless-esc-and-motor-combo-13-5t.html

But you don't need a new ESC.  TBLE02S can handle 13.5t. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

If you are price conscious, Trackstar or Speed Passion would be a better choice.  TBLM motors are about $65, Trackstar or Speed Passions are about $35.

is the performance really good? i'd like to keep a 100% tamiya setup (aside from the radio), but i might look at it. i'm looking at the TBLM-02S 10.5, by the way.

I wish I can tell you Tamiya motor will blow everything out of the water.  But I have not heard that.  Also, I'm too cheap to try Tamiya.  Having said that, Trackstar is very good for basher buggies.   

As for the performance of motor turns, I found below video useful. (I timed at the conclusion part, but it's worth seeing from the start) 

Brushless motors have so much torque, if you could put taller pinion on 17.5t, it could perform like 10.5t (with ample amount exaggeration, so take it with a spoonful of salt).  Brushless motors tend to prefer taller gear ratio than brushed ones. 

Of course, different brands perform differently.  But it's not like Tamiya's 10.5t would be like other brands' 8.5t.  If you are familiar with brushed motors, you know 19t motors would behave similarly across the board.  

If you want to keep it all Tamiya, why not?  You must do what makes you happy, not what makes other people happy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Juggular said:

Actually, for $65, you can get the Trackstar motor + an 80A ESC combo.  (That's a better ESC than 60A of TBLE)

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-roar-approved-1-10th-stock-class-brushless-esc-and-motor-combo-13-5t.html

But you don't need a new ESC.  TBLE02S can handle 13.5t. 

I ordered one of those Trackstar motors for my DT-03, and I cannot recommend that motor. The bearings were shot after about 8 packs. I got a refund and ordered one of these. https://www.absima.shop/RC-ACCESSORIES/RC-Electronic/Brushless-Motor-ESC/Brushless-Motor-Thrust-BL-ECO-3421KV-1-10.htm?shop=absima_en&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=2130005&t=19114&c=19130&p=19130 Runs better and faster.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DK308 said:

The bearings were shot after about 8 packs.

This is why a forum like this is valuable. One can hear many experiences.  Thank you for informing your experience, DK308.  You just might have saved mine. I will check out mine, and lubricate it now, just to be on the safe side. 

On the other hand, Tamiya also fails occasionally: the only radio that ever failed on me was a Tamiya one (in Terra Crusher).  I'll just put in a Flysky receiver.  It sounds ridiculous to remove Tamiya and install a cheap Chinese stuff, but Terra Crusher's radio is old tech (unlike brushless motors, which are both new technology).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DK308 said:

I ordered one of those Trackstar motors for my DT-03, and I cannot recommend that motor. The bearings were shot after about 8 packs. I got a refund and ordered one of these. https://www.absima.shop/RC-ACCESSORIES/RC-Electronic/Brushless-Motor-ESC/Brushless-Motor-Thrust-BL-ECO-3421KV-1-10.htm?shop=absima_en&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=2130005&t=19114&c=19130&p=19130 Runs better and faster.

I have a 13,5T and 4,5T Trackstat. Havent had problema wirh it.

never had anykind of problems with hobbyking stuff except a charger that died after 6months and I got a new one without even sending the old one back

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I have a 13,5T and 4,5T Trackstat. Havent had problema wirh it.

never had anykind of problems with hobbyking stuff except a charger that died after 6months and I got a new one without even sending the old one back

Haven't had any bad experiences either really. Only the motor. I have two other motors from hobbyking that runs fine. I just can't recommend that particular motor as I had issues with mine.

• Like 2

I've had good experiences with Hobbyking too and have a couple of those combos with 17.5T, and a 13.5T motor like that. All are over 2 years old now. The 13.5T has seen light work in my TT02B and Boomerang and is still going strong. The ESC and 17.5T motors were in my race buggies running on a dirt track for 2 years. One died, although I suspect the sensor cable was the problem and the ESC is probably fine. The motor works too despite being fill of dirt. The other is now in my sons race buggy. Definitely good value combos in my book.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Juggular said:

This video is a bit misleading. The gearing is set at about right for a 17.5T motor in a 4wd buggy,  which would allow decent runtimes without over heating. The 21.5T needs taller gearing so would get closer to the 17.5T speed, and the 8.5T would overheat quickly as that needs an FDR of around 10 to run cool, so that would lose a lot of top speed.

In blinky classes there isn't a huge difference in lap times between say 25.5T, 21.5T and 13.5T cars. They are all fast which I think is why you get experienced racers running USGT and VTA in the US which are slower classes, or here 21.5T stock touring or 17.5T stock buggy are generally the biggest classes.

Mod is different as they can run boost and timing in the ESC, although you often see laptimes not mucn faster as they can't use all the power that is available. Mod have other issues, usually cooking ESC rather than motors.

So really, if all motors are properly geared and you and a bunch of mates (who like to bash, not much racing experience) set up a course then it probably wouldn't matter what motors people turned up with.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

really, if all motors are properly geared .....

it probably wouldn't matter what motors people turned up with.

That's wild.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juggular said:

That's wild.  

Obviously straight line speed the lower turn motor will be faster, but corners etc really mess with people. I'm terrible at onroad and the fast guys in stock TT02 (minimal mods) are faster than me in my TA07 with 21.5T motor. Not saying much though, everyones faster than me. Except on my backyard track where I win with any of the cars against my friends with any other 10th scale cars. They crash my race cars as they are fast for a little track. I would probably beat them with my boomerang with silvercan and them running my nitro buggy too, but don't dare try. They key is to make your own track and only race people who don't race

• Like 1
  • Haha 2