Boddney

M-03 Question

Hi, 

Can anyone tell me if the M-03 chassis is adjustable between long and short like the M-06 is? Also, if it’s already been built as a long can it then be shortened?

Thanks

Bod

Yes and yes.

Like the M-06, the M-03 can be built with no spacers for a short wheelbase, small spacers for a medium wheelbase or large spacers for a long wheelbase, and you can change the wheelbase of a prebuilt car from long to short by taking out the spacers. 

• Like 1

M03 is even more special... there's a 4th size that's wider AND longer... as the FF02!! B)

True, although that requires the TL-01 suspension to make it a bit wider as well. Being part of the TL-01 family as it were, you can also use the TL-01B suspension to make it very wide, and of course TL-01 alloy hubs, uprights, lightweight kingpins and other such TL-01 hop-ups are compatible.

Come to think of it, since you can stack spacers on the M-03, you could even build some sort of extra long stretched limo thing...

Just can't make a twin motor like joining both business ends of M01 & M02 together :) 

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

Just can't make a twin motor like joining both business ends of M01 & M02 together :) 

Like this?

C7F23059-AFA6-46A6-B620-79BD4EC55890.jpg

yeah like that but the gearing is 1 tooth off isn't it? Even vs odd pinions 

2 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

yeah like that but the gearing is 1 tooth off isn't it? Even vs odd pinions 

I think you're right, I've not looked at it in a while and never actually run it. It was posted up tongue in cheek & should have included a wink - you can't just bolt the two ends together using standard parts!

haha no idea. :) Back when they first came out I built an M04... and have never run it. Built an M06 or 2... yep still haven't run those either. Always thought it's a silly bandaid idea of needing stickier rear tyres to help them handle :P 

I only asked the question as I heard that a Kamtec banger body will fit a shortened M-03 chassis. I’m not too sure it will as there’s a 3mm discrepancy according to my research.

Many of the Kamtec banger bodies are designed with a bit of wheelbase flexibility depending on how you trim the wheel arches, allowing them to fit either a 205mm Mardave or a 210mm Tamiya mini chassis equally easily.

I have a Kamtec Hotrod Beetle shell on a M-06 and a Morris Minor van shell on a M-03, both of which fit just fine. The Beetle has scope to adjust the rear wheel arch position and the Morris Minor has scope to adjust the front wheel arch position.

Oh **** and blast. I’ve already cut the arches but haven’t got a chassis yet. That may be where my problem lies. My Anglia van body doesn’t fit on my short M-06. I’m hoping an M-03 maybe better?

The M-06 has a very long rear overhang compared to most Mini chassis. In what respect does it not fit? Is the wheelbase wrong or is the motor interfering with the back of the shell?

If the former, I'm afraid the wheelbase is the going to be the same so it won't be any different. If the latter, there is virtually no rear overhang on the M-03 so it should be a far easier fit.

One thing is for sure, it doesn’t fit on a TL01😂

47952339631_8dc05d02b9_b.jpg