Uranium

ESC fans on run time

hello. for no good reason, i was contemplating about fans to cool motors and ESC's. obviously they're good, but won't they reduce run time? i'm sure the benefits will outweigh that penalty, but your battery would still have to power that fan.

those who went from no fan to a fan, have you noticed any changes in run time/battery life, or is it barely noticable? thanks!

I run fans on 2 of my racers and notice no difference to punch or runtime. Modern batteries are so good and give such long runtimes its a moot point really.

As for losing some punch, in my view that is more than offset by being able to run higher timing or gearing, so you end up with a faster car by running a fan

• Like 1

Yep, as above. The draw from a fan is negligible, but the added timing you can run is tangible.

• Like 2

Most fans draw 0.2-0.3A. A motor that needs cooling is drawing 20A+ most of the time. So, the fan is robbing perhaps 1% of your runtime. The wilder the motor setup, the more a fan helps and the more insignificant its power draw becomes in the scheme of things.

• Like 1

One of my larger rigs run two 40mm fans and a 35mm fan. Before I installed the two 40mm fans I got the exact same runtime as I do now. While they draw a tiny bit of current, you have to remember that some of that energy is being put into greater efficiency. If you really want to kill runtime, just have everything run hot - it will even kill your electronics over time. I see no drawback in running fans, and I run them on everything except for boats.

Fans? I'm a big fan of fans :)

• Like 2

Just wondering how you guys wire in your fans? As there’s only enough space for one plug,

14 minutes ago, Turbo051 said:

Just wondering how you guys wire in your fans? As there’s only enough space for one plug,

I plug mine into the receiver, but use 4channel receivers which have a slot for the transponder and fan.

I have also used a y lead which meant i could run the transponder snd fan off one spare slot.

The other thing is I have ESC which have a plug for a fan. You can use this to power a fan for the motor if you have a long enough lead

I haven't done it but I have seen them wired to the battery plugs, so when the esc is plugged in the fan is on. The advantage of this is that it will run after your race when your car is on the scrutineers table since nothing needs to be turned on for it to run