Hello everybody. Since I'm a new owner of the re-released Isuzu Mu type x, I've decided to upgrade it as much as possible with the least money spent. Crack open your tool boxes, and let's start.

I'm going to divide this into several posts...

FIrst thing to do was to make the 4 link suspension. the stock one just looked ridiculously toy-ish. that was an easy build. I've ordered road ends from aliexpress, and bought a cheap M3 allthread, and some brass tubing. Cut the M3 road, and tube to measure , and put it together. After that, I realized I'm missing the mounting posts for the rear shocks, so I had to make some shock mounts. This rewuired a bit more fiddling. Some square aluminum tube, cut it sideways to allow it to slid onto the rear axle, and cut a piece of top section off to allow the shock mounts to fit. I've drilled 2 holes, just to be able to lift the body up if needed.

image001.jpg

image003.jpg

image024.jpg

image025.jpg

image026.jpg

• Like 2

next thing on my agenda was rear travel. I took some steel plate, drilled it, and that's about it. I had to add some screws to limit the extension, because the extension arms had a tendency to straighten to a vertical position, and not returning back...

image002.jpg

• Like 1

Side skirts were an easy one as well. 5mm stainless steel rod, bent, and the ends hammered a bit to get a flat surface for drilling 3mm holes.

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

• Like 2

I've added the barrel spring set, and GPM steering setup, which was loose out of the box, so I reordered some yeah racing. The difference in quality is really huge, and you even get turnbuckles and ball ends with YR kit. Really a thing to recommend.

image004.jpg

image008.jpg

• Like 1

Since the main goal of this build is to get a usable trail rig, I knew I had to change the tires. I've ordered some 96mm beadlocks, but after some consultations with other CC owners, I've learned that 90mm is about maximum that the  body can accept without trimming. I've ordered some 90mm tires to mount on the original rims, but I still decided to give it a go with the 96mm ones. I had to raise the body. There are several options of lifting the hard body. The best one is to flip the rear body mounts, and rais ethe front one. I've raised the front one using some plastic rollers ( 10mm high) that came on the plastic sprues, and I haven't found a place to mount them. I've placed them under the front mount, and used long M3screws to screw it in place. I had to move the body part of the rear mount as far up as it goes. Drilled 2 new holes, and got additional 20mm of lift. Awesome. Even fully compressed, the 90mm wheels don't hit anything. With some mm to spare.. I hope 96mm ones will work as well.

image009.jpg

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

• Like 1

I really didn't like the front generic bumper, and after seeing the prices of metal ones.. I said .. f-it. I'll make my own...

image007.jpg

• Like 1

Aluminum plates, aluminum hollow rod (6mm). A bit of sanding here, dremmeling there. A bend here, and a hammer wack there. Didin't turn out that bad at all.

Mind you.. I had to cut a bottom part of the spare tire out, so the body sits flush to the rear fender. Not a big deal. I'm waiting for the tow hitch to arrive, and to mount it . It would be really easy to add a small "L" piece of aluminum with a ball end screwed on it, to have a small tow hitch, but I like the bigger version with a pin. Front fender has some extra holes for mounting a winch or something...

image013.jpg

image014.jpg

image015.jpg

image016.jpg

image017.jpg

image018.jpg

image019.jpg

image020.jpg

image021.jpg

image022.jpg

• Like 2

all of this was done using only basic tools. A vice, a dremmel, a drill and some hand tools. So don't be afraid of trying it yourself.

More updates to come, when I get the parts I've ordered....

Added some 96mm Beadlocks. Painted them black with a marker, just to see how it looks like. Will have to paint it properly. The fit was snug, but I noticed that the wheels rub while steering. So I widened the arches a bit.. 

IMG_20190506_213214068-800x600.jpg.c62595dd0a0d2412f8a2e32deb47615e.jpg

IMG_20190506_192420916-600x800.jpg

IMG_20190506_192514285-800x600.jpg

• Like 2

Enjoying all the home made bits. In this store bought/3D printed era, nice to see some actual fabrication taking place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The more i see CC01s / Isuzu Mu builds the more i know i need one. It’s next on my purchase list 

the little off-road trailer is cool too, how are the wheels mounted to the body? 

On 5/13/2019 at 10:14 PM, Kevin_Mc said:

The more i see CC01s / Isuzu Mu builds the more i know i need one. It’s next on my purchase list 

the little off-road trailer is cool too, how are the wheels mounted to the body? 

trailer wheels? Just a plain steel axle. I was thinking about leaf springs.. but I only have either to hard, or to soft leaf steel strips to make the springs.. so I decided against it for now...

I was told I can't pass the MOT if the trailer isn't lit...

2wehurq.jpg
2em3813.jpg

I was also told I need a skid plate.....

2wddppw.jpg

P. S. Forum doesn't work on my PC

On 5/18/2019 at 11:36 PM, ChILd_ReBoRn said:

What's power without control.. 3:1 GRU installed, and a hefty fuel tank. 4000 mAh, hardcase battery. I'm back on stock silvercan. 

IMG_20190523_195452090-600x800.jpg

My Isuzu got a full metal jacket up front :)

weighing in at healthy 2,7 kg including the battery..

2rm44ls.jpg

Had to make some brass bushings to fit the shocks, since the metal parts don't come with proprietary step down screws..

On 5/8/2019 at 8:01 AM, OldSchoolRC1 said:

Enjoying all the home made bits. In this store bought/3D printed era, nice to see some actual fabrication taking place. 

I 2nd this!  Excellent job.  Your home-built accessories look as good as the Jun-Fac ect hop-ups I've bought for my own CC-01.  Well done sir!