Sign in to follow this  
oldtimernola

vintage fox gear box problem

Rebuilding the fox and have a problem.  I Broke it down , ultrasonic cleaned all parts, bolts, and everything.  Looks great.  Finished assembling and the diff works smooth but when I try to roll car or turn wheels together it is not budging. I noticed the counter gear seems to have been rubbing against gear box cover. There is a slight groove in plastic on inside of cover where it has done this.  When I loosen gear box assembly screws it moves a little. I have built many rc cars but this one issue has me stumped.  It is all original except I installed ball bearings.  Can anyone help with this?  I have taken gear box apart 5-6 times and always same result.  It does it without motor installed also.I ghave to be missing some small detail.  My manual is in Japanese so the pics are all I have.  I've done quite a few as I've said so I am baffled.

Thanks guys

Just a random idea.... but I wonder if the right and left bevel gears could have been swapped?  

I don't know if it's even possible to close the gearbox this way (and you are an experienced builder too). 

But if BP1 and BP2 are swapped, the diff could be pushing the counter gear and lock the gears.  Unlike other cars, the both sides of bevel gears are not the same in Fox.  

Just a shot in the dark.    

ZON2ZKr.jpg

• Like 2

You could double check that all the bearings are fully seated too, If one is slighly proud, it could be causing the counter gear hard against the other side housing?

Just a thought in addition to what Juggular has suggested

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

But if BP1 and BP2 are swapped, the diff could be pushing the counter gear and lock the gears.  Unlike other cars, the both sides of bevel gears are not the same in Fox.  

Spot on Juggs!! :D

• Thanks 1

Thanks  Juggular. That was it.  I cannot believe that I missed that.   I didnt't notice the difference in the bevel gears. I need to pay attention more! Thanks again  

• Like 2