Sign in to follow this  
DK308

Bullhead and Super Clod. School me guys

Hey all

I'm thinking about getting back into a ReRe Clod or Bull. I had a Cold many moons and suns ago in the early to mid 90's, but a lot have changed since. So, before jumping head first into one, I have a bunch of questions regarding these ReRe kits.

Do the Bull and Clod come with the same electronics, and what do they consist of?

I know I want to use oil shocks. Which length do I need?

Lastly. What are the nice upgrades for these rigs? Ball bearings and electronics are not so much of a hop up in my world. Good electronics and ball bearings are just part of any build these days. But I'm thinking chassis stuff, steering upgrades, gears, alloy bling and what have you.:)

Any and all suggestions and experiences are welcome.

Thanks all:)

Alrighty, minor info dump from someone whose been in your shoes. FWIW, I eventually bought a second-hand OG Clod and resto-modded that.

• Included electronics: The Super Clod comes with a TEU103BK, the Bullhead comes with an TEU106BK. The TEU106BK is the superior of the two, but both ESCs get blown away by the Hobbywing Quicrun 860.
  • Oil shocks, I don't know if I would spend money on that. The Clod's suspension is 90% its tires, 10% everything else. There is so much unsprung weight in the gearboxes that I don't think that on a stock(ish) Clod the shocks really do much. The weight on the shocks consists of the body shell and the main chassis plate. That's about it. The rest is carried by the wheels.
  • I'd heartily recommend at the minimum getting metal anti-rotation brackets. The plastic brackets are a bit iffy, and break easily. CPE makes metal parts for the servo savers, but the stock ones work well enough with stock power. If you need more speed you can quite easily run 3S batteries in a Clod (assuming your ESC can handle it. The Hobbywing can, not sure about the Tamiya ESCs).

Keep in mind both trucks are models of 1980s Monster Trucks. That do 1980s Monster Truck things in a surprisingly scale manner. Rolling over old body shells or making short hops over scale-sized ramps.
They (in stock form) DON'T do 2010s Monster Truck things. If you want triple backflips while on fire buy something like a Traxxas X-maxx. Or get a Clod, throw away everything but the gearboxes, spend about $750 and up building an insane Mod Clod, and thén do 2010s Monster Truck things with your "Clod Buster".

I personally really like my Clod. It's not fast (silver cans on 2S), but quick enough considering its size and weight. It rolls over old body shells, does short jumps over improvised ramps, and the bounciness is actually pretty scale for those old-school leaf-sprung monster trucks. And it just looks toooo dammmmn coooool if you ask me. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GooneyBird said:

Alrighty, minor info dump from someone whose been in your shoes. FWIW, I eventually bought a second-hand OG Clod and resto-modded that.

• Included electronics: The Super Clod comes with a TEU103BK, the Bullhead comes with an TEU106BK. The TEU106BK is the superior of the two, but both ESCs get blown away by the Hobbywing Quicrun 860.
  • Oil shocks, I don't know if I would spend money on that. The Clod's suspension is 90% its tires, 10% everything else. There is so much unsprung weight in the gearboxes that I don't think that on a stock(ish) Clod the shocks really do much. The weight on the shocks consists of the body shell and the main chassis plate. That's about it. The rest is carried by the wheels.
  • I'd heartily recommend at the minimum getting metal anti-rotation brackets. The plastic brackets are a bit iffy, and break easily. CPE makes metal parts for the servo savers, but the stock ones work well enough with stock power. If you need more speed you can quite easily run 3S batteries in a Clod (assuming your ESC can handle it. The Hobbywing can, not sure about the Tamiya ESCs).

Keep in mind both trucks are models of 1980s Monster Trucks. That do 1980s Monster Truck things in a surprisingly scale manner. Rolling over old body shells or making short hops over scale-sized ramps.
They (in stock form) DON'T do 2010s Monster Truck things. If you want triple backflips while on fire buy something like a Traxxas X-maxx. Or get a Clod, throw away everything but the gearboxes, spend about $750 and up building an insane Mod Clod, and thén do 2010s Monster Truck things with your "Clod Buster".

I personally really like my Clod. It's not fast (silver cans on 2S), but quick enough considering its size and weight. It rolls over old body shells, does short jumps over improvised ramps, and the bounciness is actually pretty scale for those old-school leaf-sprung monster trucks. And it just looks toooo dammmmn coooool if you ask me. :P

Thank you

My idea is definitely not to make some kind of mutated hyper modded thing. I'm more interested in just tightening things up a bit and take it that step further, while keeping it a Clod or Bullhead. I am definitely planning on running the 860 ESC and a pair of motors with a bit more punch. I don't need a 6S or 8S basher, already got that covered, it's more a nostalgia thing like my Lunch Box. I like the idea of teh oil shocks and while these have a lot of suspension in the tyres, they are quite bouncy. Could you perhaps do me a small favour and measure the eye to eye length of your shocks unloaded? i think the mods you suggest are good ones, thank you for your ideas.

39 minutes ago, DK308 said:

Could you perhaps do me a small favour and measure the eye to eye length of your shocks unloaded? i think the mods you suggest are good ones, thank you for your ideas.

The shocks are 101.4mm, so taking into account the fact that I really should be in bed by now and call it an even 100mm.

Also, I wouldn't put any actual oil in them if you're going to mount 2 per corner. Else they probably won't do anything at all.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GooneyBird said:

The shocks are 101.4mm, so taking into account the fact that I really should be in bed by now and call it an even 100mm.

Also, I wouldn't put any actual oil in them if you're going to mount 2 per corner. Else they probably won't do anything at all.

Thank you :)