Don79

Recommended kit

Recommended Posts

Since this hade turned into me asking semi-stupid questions I'll throw in one more. 

Gear mesh on a lunchbox, how do I best det that? Seeing as I cannot quite see anything when i fasten the motor till the gearbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Don79 said:

Gear mesh on a lunchbox, how do I best det that? Seeing as I cannot quite see anything when i fasten the motor till the gearbox.

Lunchbox gearbox is like Grasshopper & Hornet. There is only one position for the motor, you can only use the kit pinion nothing else. 

Hornet bolts 540 motor direct to the gearbox, it uses an 18T pinion.

Grasshopper runs a 380 with an 10T pinion already attached. Motor bolts to a thin adaptor plate, which bolts onto gearbox. 

Lunchbox runs 540 on a thick adaptor plate. Pinion is 10T with a long shank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okey, thanks! Thought I was missing something :D

Does hobbyking or someone sell boxes with m3 screws? I always tend to lose screws when I do stuff due to constantly being interrupted by kids etc. Would need a box with m3 in the most common lengths. I only have none tapping ones I bought ages ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I got my kit from Tamico. A little bummed out that the ESC is NOT included like it says on the page. I assume their competitive prices come from the fact that things are not inlucded as it says. Sending it back will set me back as much as it costs to buy an ESC so that kind of sucks.

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-47366-Plasma-Edge-II-Black-Metallic-TT-02B-Bausatz

 

I tried to piece my old lunchbox together that my kid broke the transmission on the other week. He somehow managed to lose one of the tiny metal pins that keeps the tires in place so for now I can only put one of the back wheels on. It looks fine and spins without the wheels, when i put the one wheel on that I have it doesn't spin at all. I'd assume I have done something really wrong along the way but since is spins fine without the wheels I'm not quite sure what I've done. Any ideas?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the kit sealed?

I would tell tamico it's missing and would like a ESC sent in the post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's seeled, says in the box to complete it with battery, rx, tx and esc. I.e not what it says on Tamico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmmm so it seems because it's a special version there's no ESC but tamico said there was!?

It's worth making the point because obviously you rely on tamico being accurate at the point of sale so you still have a strong case I'd say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tamico website clearly states the ESC is included. They are liable and there's a good chance for you to get it. 

When contacting them, simply state that the ESC is missing, and then refer to their website where it says it should be included. Don't even mention the box, just stick to the lack of an ESC in relation to what the website says. Ignorance is bliss.

If they then act up on that, start fighting it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okey, so turns out I shouldn't be as hasty as I am. It says on the box that you should complete it with an ESC so I assumed it was nothing there since it was sealed and I didn't unseal it if I were to return it. I decided to bite the bullet and break the seal and when roaming around in it there's an ESC in it and a note saying that and a torque tuned motor is included. So, in my defense it wasn't obvious that there would be one in there but in the end it's me that's in the wrong, not Tamico. So apologies ot them!

Back to my other dilemma of sorts with my lunchbox. As a disclaimer, I know nothing about gearing, engines, tranmissions etc, I just follow instructions to the best of my ability when I build anything. That being said, if I only have one backwheel mounted on the car, should it spin when I hit the throttle? I would assume it should but since it doesn't I'm hoping that there some logical explanation to it so I don't have to tear it apart again. The drive shaft spins on the other side but the one wheel I have is not moving. I'm gonna get one of those little pins for it tomorrow so that I can mount the other wheel as well. 

If it should move, I'll gladly accept any guesses on as to why it isn't moving the wheel.

 

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the responses, you guys, and potentially girls, are fantastic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESC in kit depends on individual overseas market's distributor, some buy with ESC some don't. If there's an ESC in the box from factory they'll be a sticker on box lid to say it's there.

Check against manual that gearbox is built correctly & no parts missing. It works as designed, if you leave/lose parts out then all bets are off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The differential provides all the power to the wheel with the least grip. :)

in your case the axle with less weight. Both wheels will spin when you find the pin, you can use a small nail cut to size until your replacement parts show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna get som pins tomorrow! Noticed that the wheel started spinning when i applied som pressure so it might just run again :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Don79 said:

I'm gonna get som pins tomorrow! Noticed that the wheel started spinning when i applied som pressure so it might just run again :o

Your gearbox is working correctly. The grab the shaft with no wheel and turn it. I'm sure the other wheel will turn the opposite direction. If you grab the shaft firmly and gently apply throttle, the wheel will turn. The differential in the LB is extremely loose, so it does not need much resistance to send all the power to one wheel. That's what's going on when there's no wheel on one side. 

 

Glad you found your ESC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah me too, feel a little stupid for not looking inside the box but figured I'd wait until I got ahold of Tamico bit eventually I gave in.

My biggest problem with buying an ESC would have been the extra soldering. If the plasma Edge works out I can see myself getting a Neo fighter or something as well so that I can race my son. One thing at a time though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don79 said:

Yeah me too, feel a little stupid for not looking inside the box but figured I'd wait until I got ahold of Tamico bit eventually I gave in.

My biggest problem with buying an ESC would have been the extra soldering. If the plasma Edge works out I can see myself getting a Neo fighter or something as well so that I can race my son. One thing at a time though!

If you buy an esc from a model shop they will probably have a soldering service forva few quid. Before i learnt to solder i found a local hardware store that soldered things for a tenner. Might be worth ringing around some local shops like that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like learning so I am at least gonna try myself and see how it goes. If I fail I'll get some assistance.

On a good note, the lunchbox runs again. I used to have the shock mod with an extra shock but that one was broken with the transmission so I assembeled without it. Problem now is that when I hit the throttle the engine kind of flips back a little so that it touches the shocks. Could it be those springs that the transmission rests on thats been worn out? They look pretty tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Don79 said:

I feel like learning so I am at least gonna try myself and see how it goes. If I fail I'll get some assistance.

On a good note, the lunchbox runs again. I used to have the shock mod with an extra shock but that one was broken with the transmission so I assembeled without it. Problem now is that when I hit the throttle the engine kind of flips back a little so that it touches the shocks. Could it be those springs that the transmission rests on thats been worn out? They look pretty tired.

Its worth getting one of these to stablise the rear end. Postage makes it a bit spendy but if you need anything else from shapeways it can help on that front

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G72GAY3NL/w01002-01-cw01-lunchbox-pumpkin-trans-brace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll second that! I have the Hornet version on both of my Hornets, and it works brilliantly! Simpler and lighter than an extra shock.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's 40 dollars for me, so a little steep unfortunately. Unless someone in Europe sells the exact same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out my daughter think life's unfair with me just getting One car so I'll have to get one more. Think I'll try and use my sports tuned in that one along with a lipo battery to keep things simple. 

I want to get the rescented Nissan Titan but according to Specs that ESC wont handle sports tuned or an I wrong?

If so I'll have to go for something with the 102 esc in the kit. Maybe Neo fighter due to it being cheap or perhaps an aqroshot. Not a fan of the look of the latter though. Im welcome to suggestions.

Also, is it preferable to use a steel pinion with sports tuned?

Thanks in advance

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don79 said:

Turns out my daughter think life's unfair with me just getting One car so I'll have to get one more. Think I'll try and use my sports tuned in that one along with a lipo battery to keep things simple. 

I want to get the rescented Nissan Titan but according to Specs that ESC wont handle sports tuned or an I wrong?

If so I'll have to go for something with the 102 esc in the kit. Maybe Neo fighter due to it being cheap or perhaps an aqroshot. Not a fan of the look of the latter though. Im welcome to suggestions.

Also, is it preferable to use a steel pinion with sports tuned?

Thanks in advance

The Neo is a great build. And yes, you can run it with a steel pinion. I use a 19 tooth steel 0.8 mod in my Neo.

What I really like about the Neo is he fact that it fits a wide range of packs. If you do the Neo, just remember to get a rubber sealed ball bearing kit for it. https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1508&search=DT03

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Don79 said:

Turns out my daughter think life's unfair with me just getting One car so I'll have to get one more. Think I'll try and use my sports tuned in that one along with a lipo battery to keep things simple. 

I want to get the rescented Nissan Titan but according to Specs that ESC wont handle sports tuned or an I wrong?

If so I'll have to go for something with the 102 esc in the kit. Maybe Neo fighter due to it being cheap or perhaps an aqroshot. Not a fan of the look of the latter though. Im welcome to suggestions.

Also, is it preferable to use a steel pinion with sports tuned?

Thanks in advance

What ESC does it come with? As far as I know all the Tamiya ESC should handle the Sports Tuned motor fine. There is a lot of debate as to whether the Sports Tuned is a 27T motor with advanced timing ot a 23T motor. Either way, its pretty tame from the ESC point of view. A friend runs the Super Stock 23T on TBLE-02S (out of spec for the ESC) in a few cars and hasn't ever had a problem, and that includes in a Boomerang running on grass.

Steel pinions are preferable as they don't wear out. The aluminium pinions do wear and can create a paste as the aluminium dust mixes with the grease, and this is bascially a grinding paste to wear your gearbox out. @Juggularuses silicon to prevent this.  In saying it if you're sticking to brushed motors like the silvercan or sports tuned you should be fine for a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appears to have TEU-104BK. According to tamiyausa:

The TEU-104BK is intended to run the included 540 motor (27 Turns) found in most of Tamiya's assembly kits, and can handle up to a 25 Turn Tamiya Torque Tuned motor. 

I don't know what to make of that, and in a way it'd feel better to have a 02-S in case i want to go brushless at some point. I find it weird that the Neo fighter is 30 euro cheaper in Tamico given this but there might be stuff I'm missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Don79 said:

Appears to have TEU-104BK. According to tamiyausa:

The TEU-104BK is intended to run the included 540 motor (27 Turns) found in most of Tamiya's assembly kits, and can handle up to a 25 Turn Tamiya Torque Tuned motor. 

I don't know what to make of that, and in a way it'd feel better to have a 02-S in case i want to go brushless at some point. I find it weird that the Neo fighter is 30 euro cheaper in Tamico given this but there might be stuff I'm missing.

Theres a good chance it comes with the TBLE-02S anyway. I've seen cars advertised with a 105 which came with a TBLE-02S as the 104/5 are old now. Sellers don't update their ads or product descriptions, especially for models that have been around a long time. Like you I prefer the TBLE-02S due to the versatility of it.

I would email them and ask the question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now