Asymair95

Decal oopsie

Need some help. I don’t like the way this hood number decal looks on here without the white background.

VFzBuBt.jpg

I would like it to look more like the door number decals with the white background with number on top.

JkeQW6T.jpg

My question is how do I remove the number 8 decal from the hood without ruining it so I can then put it on top of the white background? Was thinking of heating from underneath with a hair dryer to loosen the glue and then try and peel it up? Anyone have any luck with that? Thanks for the help.

If you really want it, you can maska square section under it.  

Then using a Lexan paint remover, remove the blue. (@WillyChang said it will take some effort) 

Paint white.  

That way, you can leave the decal the way it is.  You just change the color under it.  

As you’ve said - use a hairdryer and using a safety blade you’ll easily be able to lift the decal, just make sure you hold the blade very flat and don’t force it or invariably you’ll slip & ruin both the decal & the shell.

Thank you for the replies. I think I will try the heat and blade option. Will report back with results. 

I don't fancy your odds for reusing that sticker once you've pulled it off :) if you've managed not to stretch it pulling off, probably won't stay stuck down for longterm afterwards.

Wouldn't recommend removing blue paint underneath though, too much risk & even if perfectly executed you'll get some parallax/prismatic effect.

Ever considered applying the white square sticker ON TOP of the black 8? 

It'll leave a ridge or at least a shadow of the black showing thru, trim away the white to show the black. Any slit gaps can be filled with white or black paint/ink.

At work we regularly have to remove  and reapply the serial number stickers when replacing the rear cabinets of consumer electronics.

We do so without harming the sticker by heating the plastic gently with a hot air gun from the rear and using a guitar plectrum to gently lift the sticker without marking it or the cabinet. It takes a bit of practice but if done with skill, the sticker can be reused with no visible evidence of it having been moved.

One of the keys to success is getting the temperature right. You want to apply enough heat to loosen the glue from the body shell but not the sticker. If you find that you are pulling the sticker and leaving the glue behind, warm the body shell a little bit more, or cool the sticker by wiping it with a damp cloth.