Turbo051

6s battery in a lunchbox

Hey fellas been building a lunchbox for a little while now inbetween braking an replacing parts haha, heres what im currently running 

- 13 kg steering servo

- ballbaring kit

- steal gear set

- 6.5 turn brushless hobbywing quicrun motor

- quicrun 10L120 esc

- twin gear fans

With a 4s battery ( the things insane ) now ive come across a 6s Battery an my question is whos ran a 6s in there lunchbox an whats it go like?

( i know most of these comments are going to be “ its a waste of time, dont waste your money blah blah blah” ) but for the price of a 4s battery i cant get a 6s so it cant hurt to try

just wanted to ask who else has done it

Not in a lunch box, but my hyper 7 had both 4 and 6s. I didn’t really notice the difference as you could never use full throttle for more than a split second befor running of road/hitting something/spinning/rolling etc. I wouldn’t go back to 6s personally. 

Smirk racing. Member on here had top speed lunchbox in speed run thread.

50 mph. Think that was 6s?

That ESC will not work on 6S. It's not even a question about it not handling it. It's a question about the fact that it won't even turn on. It detects cell count and will not work with 6s - it won't even work with 4S.

You're saying, it won't hurt to try. Yes it will. That motor will fry in the first run if you installed an ESC that would allow you to run on 6S.

If you really want to see what you can get from a LB, you are going about it wrong.

You might not believe me and think our comments are a waste of time, but fact is that many of us have tried to push the LB. If you want to overpower the LB to the point of absolute undrivability, there are better ways than 6S. It cannot e en begin to use the power a 6S system could provide.

Trust me, an LB with a TP Power 3630 motor rated for 3S max, would be far above the limits.  When I say limits, I'm not talking about the gears etc. I'm actually talking about tyres, chassis, steering etc. If it would actually drive and handle, the combination of a high kv TP 3630 and a 120 A ESC would be capable of running way north of 70 mph. But fact is that it's nearly impossible for the LB to handle such power. 

And a proper 6S setup? Not even close.

• Like 2

4s is already way too high for a 5700kv motor so 6s would just kill it.

The only guy I've seen run 6s was using a way lower KV motor plus front double wishbones and a rear 4 link setup and he still said it was way overpowered.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

The only guy I've seen run 6s was using a way lower KV motor plus front double wishbones and a rear 4 link setup and he still said it was way overpowered.

Killing it will not even describe it. That motor would literally blow apart if it ran long enough to reach max rpm for 6S.

1 minute ago, DK308 said:

Killing it will not even describe it. That motor would literally blow apart if it ran long enough to reach max rpm for 6S.

Yeah over 140,000 rpm on a fresh pack lol

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Yeah ive been running my 4s setup for some time now an havent had any issues apart from frying a 10L60 esc when first building it but got a 120 an the electrical side of things have been fine since, I understand its to much to handle but wanted to know if anyones done it 

I've a lunchbox (well 2 🙄) sat in the wings with this in mind after seeing @smirk-racing awesome 6s lunchbox.

The secret , I believe, is the custom 4 bar rear suspension, you'll notice, it doesn't even have the wheelie bar! Also the front end has the double wishbone suspension mod.

Rather than just a high torque servo, I think a strong metal geared, fast and torquey servo, something like the savox 1258, if you're going faster, you need to steer faster! 

Do you have a link for the steel gears? (Although the standard nylon/plastic gears seem more than upto the job) 

I like castle motors for this kind of stuff, they've a 100k rpm limit and take a tonne of abuse, ran a 5700kv on 5s for a dozen runs before it spat the dummy, but that was more me doing runs back to back, and not checking motor temps...🔥🔥

You've done well if you've ran a 10bk120 on 4s, they're only rated to 3s, but guess that's hobbywing under rating their esc's! 👍

Hobbyking do a 2s super shorty, that's the size of a 1s saddle. 2 next to each other fit into a boomerang so I'm hoping they'll fit into the lunchbox (need to try right enough), the third 2s super shorty I was going to nail to the front of the chassis , in an attempt to keep the nose down. I think smirk used 2 x smaller 3s lipo batteries (like the ones for a transmitter).

Good luck, and more importantly,  record it and post the vid 😁

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I've a lunchbox (well 2 🙄) sat in the wings with this in mind after seeing @smirk-racing awesome 6s lunchbox.

The secret , I believe, is the custom 4 bar rear suspension, you'll notice, it doesn't even have the wheelie bar! Also the front end has the double wishbone suspension mod.

Rather than just a high torque servo, I think a strong metal geared, fast and torquey servo, something like the savox 1258, if you're going faster, you need to steer faster! 

Do you have a link for the steel gears? (Although the standard nylon/plastic gears seem more than upto the job) 

I like castle motors for this kind of stuff, they've a 100k rpm limit and take a tonne of abuse, ran a 5700kv on 5s for a dozen runs before it spat the dummy, but that was more me doing runs back to back, and not checking motor temps...🔥🔥

You've done well if you've ran a 10bk120 on 4s, they're only rated to 3s, but guess that's hobbywing under rating their esc's! 👍

Hobbyking do a 2s super shorty, that's the size of a 1s saddle. 2 next to each other fit into a boomerang so I'm hoping they'll fit into the lunchbox (need to try right enough), the third 2s super shorty I was going to nail to the front of the chassis , in an attempt to keep the nose down. I think smirk used 2 x smaller 3s lipo batteries (like the ones for a transmitter).

Good luck, and more importantly,  record it and post the vid 😁

Yeah main reason for going 4s for me was my mate had a 3s an i had to out do him 👌, after destroying my plastic gear’s etc an going steel gears an upgrading the bearings its been good since, now that i need a new battery I thought ****** it ill step it up a notch as replacement parts arnt really that exspesive 

ill defently upload a video when i get the chance to work on it again an get a battery  

( just found the video on youtube looks insane )

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Turbo051 said:

Yeah ive been running my 4s setup for some time now an havent had any issues apart from frying a 10L60 esc when first building it but got a 120 an the electrical side of things have been fine since, I understand its to much to handle but wanted to know if anyones done it 

The one thing the Lunchbox has going for it is the low gearing so any given motor will run cooler than it would in a buggy with higher gearing. 

• Like 1

You got steel gears for a Lunchbox? Do you have a link for where to get them?

• Like 1

Please do share a link to the steel gears if possible (I have a locker, as well as an aluminum counter gear - but would be keen to see the entire gear set in aluminum or steel).

It is definitely crazy to put 6s in a Lunchbox but there is something fun about it. Everything that can fail, will fail, sooner or later (steering links will snap, tires will blow off rims - even the front ones!). Despite that, it is fun, and once you've done it, you'll probably be able to make the chassis perform quite well for anything you like.

If you're going to do it, make sure you have the right kv motor - I was using a 2040kv motor. I used two small LiHV 3s packs wired in series (so the voltage was even higher than a normal 6s pack). If you're using an ESC with torque control or current limiting, definitely use that. I learned about that feature later, and it makes a big difference. In the videos about, I didn't have any such limits, so I had to be very gentle on the throttle to keep the tires on the ground.

Good luck! Try to post vids or pics.

Oh, another vid in case folks haven't seen it:

• Like 2

sounds more like a Dinner Plate than a Lunch box.

lil' top heavy?  and don't forget the gravy.

5 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

tires will blow off rims - even the front ones!)

I've had that just on 3500 and 3s lol!

I have a locker

Really need to fit a locker to mine, especially for beach runs, it just starts walking on 3s, being pulled side to side by alternating pizza cutter tyres.

but there is something fun about it.

It all comes together at the beach, most overpowered stuff works well there I think!

On 5/12/2019 at 5:05 AM, nowinaminute said:

Yeah over 140,000 rpm on a fresh pack lol

That rpm is mind boggling! 

Never run 6S in anything but I have done 3S in a Grasshopper with a MM7700 some years back.

I started with a MM5700 on a normal 6 call NiMh pack and that was insane but just couldn’t leave it alone. Before I knew it, I had the 3S and the 7700 KV motor in it and destroying tires on pretty much every run.

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2019 at 11:22 AM, 78Triumph said:

That rpm is mind boggling! 

That rpm is absolutely impossible. Only two manufactures I'd trust beyond 80k rpm is Lehner and Neu. And the only one I'd trust past 100k is Lehner.

The Hobbywing motors are decent motors, but they should not run much past 50k rpm for extended periods. 140k rpm is like trying to make nitro glycerine in a sauna. It has "Bad Idea" and "Danger" written all over it. 

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2019 at 2:39 AM, racer1 said:

Never run 6S in anything but I have done 3S in a Grasshopper with a MM7700 some years back.

I started with a MM5700 on a normal 6 call NiMh pack and that was insane but just couldn’t leave it alone. Before I knew it, I had the 3S and the 7700 KV motor in it and destroying tires on pretty much every run.

Well thats it haha i have the parts to do it so might aswell give it ago haha parts are cheap enough 

I run the War Rig on 6S, but that has a 1000Kv motor in so the rpm is about the same as a silver can on 2S. The power from 6S is just too much for a normal 1/10 scale vehicle. I used 4S and a 2000KV 1/8 motor in my TXT-1, and that was undriveable with a relatively low rpm motor. 

1 hour ago, Turbo051 said:

What esc would you guys recommend for a 6s with a 6.5 turn brushless hobbywing motor?

You already got answers to that question in your other thread. The answers you get here will not be any different mate.

8 minutes ago, DK308 said:

You already got answers to that question in your other thread. The answers you get here will not be any different mate.

My bad forgot id posted the question 👌