Jonathon Gillham

8.5T Blinky vs 17.5T Blinky 4wd buggy

I know I've said loads of times that a properly geared higher turn motor will perform close to a properly geared low turn motor but now it matters. I maintain thats true for informal carpark races ampngst friends. The new indoor offroad club has offered 8.5T blinky 4wd buggy. I race outdoors with 17.5T blinky 4wd buggy. My outdoor club also runs 4wd mod, most people run 6.5T but with ESC programming and my lack of ability 8.5T vs 6.5T will be the same. I have a 8.5T motor and ESC that can be blinky or not blinky and handle the 8.5T motor. I probably have enough pinions to gear it right too. Anyway, minimal puchases whatever I do.

I can swap to the 8.5T motor and ESC and run blinky indoors and boost outdoors, no problem. BUT...

My 17.5T motors are good, Orca and Surpass and both very fast. My 8.5T motor is an old Speed Passion and from running Speed Passion in 21.5T they get owned by the newer motors, and I expect the same here.

Its a small track, 15m x 8m so top speed shouldn't matter much.

I'm thinking I should leave my 17.5T setup in there and see how it goes? Will I be giving THAT much away?

The only other change I plan to make initially is tyres, I bought my 4wd secondhand from a carpet racer so it came with a few sets of mini pins which will be fine for starting.

how's that Surpass?, they have a hecka of a deal going on right now. purchased a 21.5 the other night for my HPI RS4 Sport 3, think'n of getting another. they come with ceramic bearings (Rocket 4VS). for 70 clams free ship, heck my Shuur Speed V4 was 110 doinks.

i did read up on the Rocket and it sold me. I will take two they are small:lol:

Killer Looking Motor to boot.

42 minutes ago, ACCEL said:

how's that Surpass?, they have a hecka of a deal going on right now. purchased a 21.5 the other night for my HPI RS4 Sport 3, think'n of getting another. they come with ceramic bearings (Rocket 4VS). for 70 clams free ship, heck my Shuur Speed V4 was 110 doinks.

i did read up on the Rocket and it sold me. I will take two they are small:lol:

Killer Looking Motor to boot.

I have the Rocket V4S in 17.5T and it lives up to its name. I was able to go up a few pinions from the Trackstar motor without overheating and now have no traction in my 2wd due to the faster motor. They are as fast as the top brand motors and half the price. I got mine from alibaba direct from the manufacturer but they have stopped selling small numbers like that now, wish i had got more of them.

Not sure how they would go against an 8.5T in 4wd or 10.5T in 2wd buggies though

• Thanks 1

All the motors will have pretty much the same top RPM. The difference is how quickly it gets to that top RPM.  However, when you throw in a large age/generation difference between motors, it's hard to say without just trying them both back to back. 

18 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I'm thinking I should leave my 17.5T setup in there and see how it goes? Will I be giving THAT much away?

I'm not sure what the connections are like on the 17.5t, but I know the SP motors have the plugs,  so easily changed, bit I'd go for the 5.5t 🙄, then try the 8.5t and see which works best.

The SP motors are at the budget end of the race motors, so are going to get spanked by some other brands turn for turn, so a 10.5t orca would be similar to the 8.5t. 

7 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I'm not sure what the connections are like on the 17.5t, but I know the SP motors have the plugs,  so easily changed, bit I'd go for the 5.5t 🙄, then try the 8.5t and see which works best.

The SP motors are at the budget end of the race motors, so are going to get spanked by some other brands turn for turn, so a 10.5t orca would be similar to the 8.5t. 

The indoor class is 8.5T or higher, so can't run the 5.5T (even though that would probably make up for the 8 year old design). Its a strange 'limited mod' class or something, I'm not sure if its run overseas or if its a NZ thing.

Good point though about the 5.5T, can run that in mod at the outdoor track and that will be fine.

Got a battery for the Boomerang today too, and the shop I go to is moving and I asked about a moving sale, starts 1 June apparently. No Top Force in stock but there is a Super Astute, I wonder what the discounted price will be...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Its a strange 'limited mod' class or something, I'm not sure if its run overseas or if its a NZ thing.

I think different clubs run different rules, kind of what they find works for them. In the UK, we mostly just run 2wd, 4wd and truck , run whatever you like, generally just the tyres that are controlled, (as long as its a legal motor, battery etc) as it's so much easier to police. At the local club, it's pretty much RWYB,  but spit into heats, if we started splitting it down to 2wd/4wd and then motor turns, we'd end up with only 2 - 4 per race, which is more of a practice session than a race.

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

No Top Force in stock but there is a Super Astute, I wonder what the discounted price will be...

That settles the vintage class! 😉😁

(That reminds me, vintage is generally 10.5t so to give actual vintage cars a chance to hold together against the re re cars) 

32 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I think different clubs run different rules, kind of what they find works for them. In the UK, we mostly just run 2wd, 4wd and truck , run whatever you like, generally just the tyres that are controlled, (as long as its a legal motor, battery etc) as it's so much easier to police. At the local club, it's pretty much RWYB,  but spit into heats, if we started splitting it down to 2wd/4wd and then motor turns, we'd end up with only 2 - 4 per race, which is more of a practice session than a race.

That settles the vintage class! 😉😁

(That reminds me, vintage is generally 10.5t so to give actual vintage cars a chance to hold together against the re re cars) 

10.5T in a vintage class? That still seems fast for an old car. Rere should stand up to it ok though I guess.

I like the simplicity of your rules and actually suggested them when they asked for votes. These look fine to me and should work well, I just need to sort out what works for my cars. I'm not keen on setting up a different indoor car (although the new D418 is very tempting, that could be my dirt car and the Lazer could be an indoor car...)

The funny thing about reading the vintage rules is NZRCA actually has class rules for a Lunchbox class. I think that would be awesome, once. I imagine it would be so frustrating though

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

10.5T in a vintage class? That still seems fast for an old car. 

May be surprised, but all my genuine vintage run lower turn brushless than a 10.5t 🙄, although cars like the boomerang just don't have the cornering ability to handle the corners at speed, so more, point and shoot ,driving style, so I recon a lower turn motor wouldn't effect the lap times too much, litterally just bought a 9t brushless combo for the boomerang, so see how it goes.

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I like the simplicity of your rules and actually suggested them when they asked for votes

Really cuts down on red tape, and costs. If there isn't much to police, it helps a meeting run smoothly, cheaper and of course no one can really cheat! 

Slower guys are still slower, and the quick guys are still quick, even in our club of mixed 2 and 4wd, a good driver with a 2wd will beat an ok driver with 4wd. (Lee Martin would beat me with a 380 power grasshopper against my 4.5t K1! 😂).

Having no motor rule means you can run a couple of turns lower in a cheaper motor, rather than having to pay a weeks wage just to get a competative stock motor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

What is Blinky?

It's a forced stock spec mode which doesn't allow ECU timing or boost, typically used for non-mod race groups.  The ESC will "Blink" showing it's in the "spec mode".

• Thanks 1

So this thread became redundant when they changed the venue to one I don't like and also moved it from every second thursday to once a month on a saturday, and expanded the classes to include 17.5T stock.

Not sure about indoor racing in light of this...and I just ordered an new HB 418 for outdoors which means my chances of a Super Astute for the vintage class just went way down