kasparov

Vintage Shelf Queen Display Stands

Hi Guys

Can anyone offer some tips on some nice stands? Something to put my vintage collection on so that the car is not sitting on its tires.

Max

I managed to get a whole heap of “shoe display stands” from a store that was closing down, I’ve got 2 heights, 1 for buggy and 1 for trucks etc. my problem now is they are just about all used, so will need to make similar to keep everything uniform

47222567102_1b53e8564d_k.jpg

• Like 3

I use upside down Tupperware cups with foam tape on the top. They are transparant and come in different heights for touringcars and buggies. 

anyone any tips for name style cards, something low profile but so the name and date can be displayed for each buggy in a display?

From memory, the Plazmost ones are ideal, but very expensive. I’d buy them, but then I think... for the price of three stands, I could buy a whole used vintage Tamiya for restoration.

I have spent quite a lot on cabinets themselves, but once that financial pain was over... For me the display stand side of things was ok to be kept really quite simple and cheap, yet achieve a decent effect.

All you need is something clear plastic, which suspends the car. For $6 you can eat 16 Ferrero Rocher chocolates. Then use the free clear container as a stand (either with the lid for extra height, or upside now with the lid removed). Cars will never slide off unless there's an earthquake, but a tiny bit of double-sided tape on top would also hold them in place.

Nobody who visits will question it, they will just see it as some sort of intended display...

image.png.a0ec400e1f36f76d5c569339fc430c94.png

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/ferrero-rocher-16-piece-share-box-200g/p/8896/

For description cards, I actually like the feel of my cabinets being a little bit museum like and/or a bit old-hobby-shop-like. So I get plain white card paper. Cut pieces about 10cm x 5cm (or smaller). Fold them at a right-angle. And handwrite in neat black letters on one side:

• Name of car
  • Year
  • Country of manufacture
  • Anything else? (Drivetrain, other specs, approx collector value).

This is fun, easy, quick, cheap, and small enough to fit one per car even on crowded shelves. Consider also that the professional stands may have the name or brand/logo of the car, but no other interesting info.

Here's a small one I did for a die-cast model. Your handwriting may be a lot neater than mine. My Dad bought two of these Tomica Land Cruisers when I was little, and gave me one while keeping one himself. Mine got lots of chips, but Dad's survived my childhood in mint condition. I was interested to see the rough estimate value was about AU$60, so I put that on there. As with most of my stuff, I would never sell it... but I like the hobby shop feel of little info cards  :) 

image.png.bc6ae213f6bfe5c177c0d43503609064.png

Displaying and labeling stuff is fun, and there are many ways to do it. But usually any effort you make will appear somewhat “museum like” to friends when they visit. Keep in mind that many actual museums and shops make less effort than this ;) I have been to toy museums (and museums) where everything is just plonked onto shelves - no info or stands at all.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hibernaculum said:

For description cards....

I always thought colour printing and enlarging the blurb and specs that sided the actual car in the vintage catalogues would be cool for the description next to the model...

• Like 1

That's a good idea too, and to be honest something I should try. To get the colour logo of the brand, on the card. So really, you can spend as little or as much time on these things, as you like... it's kinda fun either way.

• Like 1

I used for most old blackfoot style tires for stands ,  with added benefit, due the "fly" i could put longer cars on a more narrow shelf ( make the front wheels hover over the edge )

Kind of looked "in style" also ,  using rc tires as stands :)

• Like 2

A clear display case with supporting columns! 

Though, for RC cars, it would have to be massive.  (Personally, if I had money to spend $319.99 on a 1/43 scale resin, I'd probably get a CR01 instead.)  

LQNCnmF.jpg

In all seriousness, I use small postal boxes parts came in, or wooden blocks like mtbkym01 has.  

But my purpose is not to display.  Just to keep the tires from going flat.  

If I wanted to display, I would make wire axle supports like below.  I have never done it, it was just rattling around in my head, so I don't know how practical it would be.  (Gray is the wire portion. Big red circle is the tire.  Smaller one is the axle, or A-arm-which wouldn't be round.  But you get the idea. Wires can be mostly hidden by the tires, and the tires won't go flat.)

83n1F2s.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 10:26 PM, Hibernaculum said:

From memory, the Plazmost ones are ideal, but very expensive. I’d buy them, but then I think... for the price of three stands, I could buy a whole used vintage Tamiya for restoration

Not sure I could find a £95 vintage project that wouldn’t cost me more than NIB to restore @Hibernaculum 😂 

But you’re right re Plaz not being cheap sir - c. 32 each posted. 

The way I look at it he designs stands that anchor on stress free chassis points with full suspension drop / no tyre touch points and beautiful Tamiya logos ... plus kit specific branding :) 

And if you do stuff properly then why skimp on display ? 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don’t know really... you could argue that I should be buying the nice stands. But every time I look at them, its the price I just can’t comprehend. :mellow: Maybe its justifiable for a once-off. But the problem for me is it just doesn’t scale-up, for a collector. 

At the end of the day, it’s just plastic. :( I’m glad it’s not made in China. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F140461540063

That one is AU$52 (AU$62 shipped to Australia). For ONE stand.

Consider that you can buy a nice made in France Tefal non-stick frying pan for less than half that price.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/product/tefal-plus-ptfe-frypan-30cm

I’m not sure why he doesn’t sell them for a thinner margin, and sell thousands, instead of a thick margin selling hundreds. It doesn’t justify to me, unfortunately. And this is from a guy who has spent decades of spare change on this hobby, and is a fussy collector type. 

Maybe 3 stands isn’t the best example.

Buying 10 stands would cost me ~AU$600. And there are some NIB vintage kits I could get for that money. Buy one of those kits.... even if I crack it open immediately and build it, then put the car on top of a cheapy Ferrero chocolate box (or a Tefal frying pan :lol:) seems a more satisfying outcome for my collection? ^_^

• Like 1

On 16 May 2019 at 5:30 AM, Juggular said:

If I wanted to display, I would make wire axle supports like below.  I have never done it, it was just rattling around in my head, so I don't know how practical it would be.  (Gray is the wire portion. Big red circle is the tire.  Smaller one is the axle, or A-arm-which wouldn't be round.  But you get the idea. Wires can be mostly hidden by the tires, and the tires won't go flat.)

83n1F2s.jpg

By some act of serendipity, TS/PS paint can lids do that job perfectly under a 3spd... get 4 & your Bruiser/Mounty is perfectly raised off its stock tyres without dangling in midair. The tips of the axle u-bolts sit just nice on the flat top, or perch quite steadily on the curved part too. 

If you use a lot of PS5 or PS23 (black, gunmetal :) ) then those lids just disappear from sight. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F140461540063

That one is AU$52 (AU$62 shipped to Australia). For ONE stand.

Is he paying royalties to use brandname logo? :ph34r:

This genuine Tamiya product works for hiking up touring cars:-

tamiya-66706-1.jpg

@ a Third of the price :) 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 10:02 PM, Hibernaculum said:

I’m not sure why he doesn’t sell them for a thinner margin, and sell thousands, instead of a thick margin selling hundreds. It doesn’t justify to me, unfortunately. And this is from a guy who has spent decades of spare change on this hobby, and is a fussy collector type. 

Maybe 3 stands isn’t the best example.

Buying 10 stands would cost me ~AU$600. And there are some NIB vintage kits I could get for that money.

Great question as ever @Hibernaculum

For me, Plaz is a UK / £30 per kit investment who - because I’ve bought a few - did me a favour a while back in launching his vintage 3 Speed variants ... which everyone else can now buy.

So, I’ve honestly no idea if his price has to fund Tamiya royalties but

1. I’ve bought 10+ and still couldn’t buy a vintage NIB for £300 or similar 😂

2. He’s a good guy that - with volume - will give true collectors anything they want.

I guess it comes down to the old adage - we either support the artists in our hobby or they give up ... and then become collectible in their own right :) 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 7:04 PM, SuperChamp82 said:

Plazmost on eBay made all of mine :) 

Thanks for that tip, i just looked him up on ebay and purchased a few....

• Like 1

I am restoring a 1/8 scale Roll Royce phantom model kit from the 1980s, and because these kits were so big and heavy when built (approx' 3 kilos), they were actually supplied with miniature axle stands to rest the chassis on, so when it was built and displayed, the axles didnt sag or the tyres flatten out...

I am surprised this has not come up yet. Scale jackstands are available and work exactly as you would expect. If you have printing capabilities, the per cost part is pennies and for larger/smaller models you could always scale up or down. Drill the pinhole where needed for droop.

RC jackstand found on #Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1165052

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 4:09 PM, geniusanthony said:

I am surprised this has not come up yet. Scale jackstands are available and work exactly as you would expect. If you have printing capabilities, the per cost part is pennies and for larger/smaller models you could always scale up or down. Drill the pinhole where needed for droop.

RC jackstand found on #Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1165052

They look great👍 wish I could 3d print! 

Wow Plazmost look beautiful and with Tamiya logo too.... 

Ended up going some 25 aus dollar ones on ebay. They are black and look OK. 

Would prefer something clear though, if I can find the Plazmost ones cheaper somewhere might give them a go. 

This was pretty simple and cheap to make.  And totally customizable.  I purchased everything from Home Depot.  Pine board, sanded and painted.  Aluminum bar stock which I cut to size and hit with a wire wheel for finish.  Drilled the holes in the board with a drill press so the aluminum rods fit tight.  No adhesive necessary.

qCL7YDv.jpg

8R2rkwM.jpg

• Like 1

A bit of self adhesive carbon look sheet stuck on a battery box is just right for suspending a Buggy Champ.

coyNYYal.jpg

k6ATi3Ml.jpg

Have you considered an engraver to make up some small plaques like seen on Trophy plinths. They can be cut quite cheaply onto silver or gold plastic with a sticky back on them?