The metal parts upgrade trap ...

So just bit the bullet and got a load of upgrade parts for my TA02 restoration/ upgrade chassis. Anyway, realised that the total price would have brought something pretty nice. Oh well ... it seemed acceptable at the time as it was £10 here another £15 there and so on. 

...Not to mention that replacing a $5 plastic part with a $30 metal part too often ends with breaking a $40 plastic part somewhere else... these parts are bendy for a reason.

• Like 3

Some plastic parts are necessary to replace with aluminum/metal. In the case of the CC-01, the servo holder, the front gearbox under cover which also hold the suspension arms are also a must to replace because they are weak. A few other parts too need to be replaced with aluminum, and yes, they looks so much better as well. :)

The metal bling looks good, but for my driving style it often ends up breaking a part somewhere else. Sometimes have a plastic part that can flex with impact is better than a shiny metal part that snaps or bends quite easily.

I haven't fallen into this trap yet, all my upgrades have been functional (or so I tell myself). They do look so good though, I can see why people do it

Yeah it's a slippery slope for some people. All my blingy stuff is functional. Well mostly. The alloy stuff on my shelf queen TB01 I didn't pay for so I don't mind it being on there otherwise I'd never buy alloy suspension arms.

You think you guys have problems ;) At least you don't make it all yourselves :wacko:

img33435_03112015190554_3.jpg

img33435_7292016120056_2.jpg

img33435_932016101101_1.jpg

img33435_922201684029_5.jpg

img33435_520201794959_4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@markbt73 is spot on re metal transferring torsional stress to other parts.

The whole car equally ends up heavier - which can significantly improve over the axle downforce / handling done strategically in flyweight road cars but makes most other fully hopped up, off road ‘experiments’ slow and liable to bottom out to the point they’re awful to drive.

So it’s fine if you’re a racer who knows what you’re doing.

Or if you’re following Tamiya direction / improving well tested points of weakeness judicially.

Otherwise, for me, a full metal jacket is shelf queens only ... with a reinforced shelf 😂