Hi to all

I have a problem with my read tamiya differential!!!

I try to block it with its right blocking plastic accessories.

The first time the screw unscrewed and diff open (I mean the housing of the diff so the wheel spin free).

I reclose and now I have a more big problem... the central gear do not engage the differential... The differentialis free to move left and right... when it is all to left (correct position.... I wan say "right" position but it will be missunderstand eheh) the central gear (central gear I mean the gear where the transmission shaft is connected) correctly can transmit torque to the diff. But after some second (or minute) of RC usage the two half axle of the rear axle (the two half axle where in the center are conneted togeder with the differential) slip a bit outside and, internal to the axle, the differential slip a bit to right and in this position the central gear spin free without engaging the differential (in true engage a bit a it is possible to ear a very bad bad bad noise!) so without transmitting torque to the differential (anche so no to the wheel).

What I can do to fix my axle?

This is a common problem with the CC01, and one I'm surprised that Tamiya never rectified.  There's too much slop in the axle casing which allows the diff carrier to float, causing problems with gear mesh.  Eventually any CC01 with enough miles under it is likely to develop a crown wheel mesh problem.  The good news is that there is a solution, which can be implemented mostly using spare parts in the CC01 kit (assuming you fitted an aftermarket bearing kit and still have the plastic and bronze bushings that came with the kit).  The only thing you might not have in the CC01 parts is the shims / washers to get that last little bit of clearance; I had some from other Tamiya kits but I think I've run out, I'll have to source something from a hardware store next time.

Anyway - it's easier to show rather than tell, so have a look at this vid on Youtube - it explains how and where to fit additional bushes and washers to tighten up your axle, reduce the slop in the crown wheel and get rid of that terrible end float too:

Hi! 

Really many thanks, I will update my cc01 today! I will give you info in next day! 

I will implement this solution! 

Thabks

Massimiliano 

• Like 1

Good luck, let us know if it works :)

Hi!

Maybe it work

in photo you can see the rear diff excursion.

and you can see the adding of shims for keep diff in right position. NOW SEEMS WORK!!!

another problem is that my rear diff sometime open itself... maybe with this shims will not open anymore but I do not know... i see in the video it is used a glue on the screw... some one have try this operation?

thanks

massimiliano

IMG_20190512_172151-1728x2304.jpg

IMG_20190514_185044-1728x2304.jpg

IMG-20190513-WA0045.jpg

IMG-20190513-WA0048.jpg

The CC-01 rear diff needs threadlock on the screws that hold it together otherwise it will work loose with use. Most metal screws going into metal threads need threadlock to stop them coming undone, and these are no different.