AshRC

Build problem - dodgy nuts

I started building my CC01 today and just ran into a problem. Quite early on in the instructions there’s a long screw MA1 that attaches to a ball nut MA11 but I can’t get one of the nuts onto a screw. Both screws fit happily into one nut but I can’t get more than half a turn into the other.

Advice needed ... is it worth contacting Tamiya, or the retailer, or just try and find a replacement ball nut somehow??

(apologies, photo is upside down)

11092015-4CD7-4E90-AA7F-C7DDAA4E2D2E.jpeg

Can it screw in from the other end at all? It might be that just part of the thread has been malformed or damaged, and screwing something in from the other end can straighten it out again. 

It does go in part way, but then it properly stops. I was hoping I could maybe re-tap it a bit but no luck.

Think it might be worth forcing it a bit more???

If you have a spare sacrificial screw, I'd say yes, try forcing it. It is useless in its current state. You can't make the situation any worse. 

• Thanks 1

you do not have a Tap? like TJF said, i use other bolts or screws first with a lil' oil, some times HSS taps snap too easy when they're small, 3M and larger are fine but smaller taps i quit buying they seem too darn brittle. Note the black hardened steel screws are the best you can re-use them often. i have a compartment of them just for that reason alone. on the thread tip of the screw a jewelers file or Dremel works great for any strip or crushed thread.

I had some similar screws, so put the nut into a 6mm socket and used the biggest screwdriver I could find. Worked perfectly, that thread is almost as good as new now.

Thanks for that, I wasn’t sure if it would just seize everything together.

• Like 1