dave.723

Looking for a silver can racer ...

Hi there,

I got a couple of re re racers (2 and 4wd) and they are all equipped with silver cans. We run them in the backyard to have fun. The track, if you can call it like that. :-),  is rather short with tight corners so the speed is ok and breakages are rare. I am currently working to find kinda similar gear ratio for all of them. So they are all even.

But the next thing would be to compare them to a modern buggy. And that's what it is about. Can you run today's buggies with a silver can? I hope the question is not too awkward. :-) 

in terms of weight and gear ratio? Are modern cars heavier? Are the rpms of a silver can just too low?

my cars are about 1250g +-100g. With motor and electronics w/o battery.

My favorite so far would be a CAT L1 cause I just like the lookes. Or maybe an xray. 

What are your opinions? Is someone in the same boat? Lol. 

Many thanks

Dave

My "Racers": Egress, Avante, Scorpion, Optima Turbo, CAT XLS, RC10 classic.

• Like 2

Yep you can run a silvercan since they are the standard sized motor and finding a gear ratio will be easy since the spurs and pinions are easily changed.

It sounds like you have a similar setup to me, a small backyard 'track'and I find any car can be competitive in the right hands, and that includes racers with brushless setup against a silvercan powered rere.

14 minutes ago, dave.723 said:

I am currently working to find kinda similar gear ratio for all of them. So they are all even.

Remember,  that if you go taller on the gears to make it go quicker, it could actually go slower! In a 4wd there are more power losses due to having more gears and parts to drive, so I go lower geared on the boomer than I do on the Fox, in a straight line the Fox is quicker, but around a track , the boomer wins (mainly as it's 4wd brakes too, so can brake so much later).

20 minutes ago, dave.723 said:

in terms of weight and gear ratio? Are modern cars heavier? 

My favorite so far would be a CAT L1 cause I just like the lookes.

Modern cars are generally lighter, full of carbon fibre, titanium and aluminium, you can then buy weights, to put the weight were you want it, brass bulkhead, under esc weight plates , under Lipo weights etc.

The L1 is an excellent choice (slightly bias....🙄) and one on my radar, although only racing 2wd atm (schumacher laydown arriving today or tomorrow🤞 😁). 

You can find a load of set up sheets online :-

http://site.petitrc.com/setup/schumacher/setupcatl1/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

The L1 is an excellent choice (slightly bias....🙄) and one on my radar, although only racing 2wd atm (schumacher laydown arriving today or tomorrow🤞 😁). 

You can find a load of set up sheets online :-

http://site.petitrc.com/setup/schumacher/setupcatl1/

Have you ordered the new Cougar laydown? Is that a new car or a conversion for the existing car?

26 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Have you ordered the new Cougar laydown? Is that a new car or a conversion for the existing car?

Its a new car (ish) ,Ordered it as soon as it was announced! , (sold a dozen RC cars a couple of weeks before, to have a float for one and for upgrade parts and elecs etc 🙄). A part failed quality control, so it's been delayed by almost a month. The front end is pretty much KC/KD (and some of my KF2 will fit) the main difference is they've switched away from the belt drive and gone for a geared drive, in 'laydown' format.

17 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Its a new car (ish) ,Ordered it as soon as it was announced! , (sold a dozen RC cars a couple of weeks before, to have a float for one and for upgrade parts and elecs etc 🙄). A part failed quality control, so it's been delayed by almost a month. The front end is pretty much KC/KD (and some of my KF2 will fit) the main difference is they've switched away from the belt drive and gone for a geared drive, in 'laydown' format.

I was wondering, I didn't think the KC/KD was that old but it appeared a new car. Don't see too many schumacher cars here but have seen the belt setup which looks strange to me. It wouldn't last that well on dirt...

Back to the original topic...yes, buy an L1 and run a silvercan in it, and also buy a decent brushless setup just to try it out and see how good the modern race kits are.

21 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I didn't think the KC/KD was that old but it appeared a new car

Reading between the lines, I think their top driver preferred a gear set up over belts, and got faster lap times in prototype testing. Win on Sunday,  sell on Monday. The KC/KD have dropped in price now, and the 2nd hand market is about to get busy, so a good time to buy a 2nd hand one. I've not had a new car for years, and after winning the truck, it's nice to have everything tight and new. I wasn't getting the use out of the other cars, they just sat collecting dust so made sense to get them sold and get something to race every week.

• Like 1

As others have said, you can run a Silver can in just about anything as they are normal 540 sized motors.  A few years back we had a silver can class at one of the local tracks. It was a handout motor class where they would give you the motor about 10 mins before the race started. It had to be installed with Tamiya style bullet connectors.  They went one step further and made sure all the cars weighted within 1 oz of each other. If you were too light you had to add weight.  If you were too heavy then that  was your problem. 

I ran an Associated B4 in that class for a long time and did very well. Wish it was still around. 

Most modern cars shouldn't be an issue, but keep in mind some cars have a laydown motor mount that relies on two side-by-side holes instead of the 6-and-12 setup that a silver can has. My TRF419 for instance, is setup like that.

They do make adapters that bolt to the motor to circumvent that though. Just something to keep in mind.