Sign in to follow this  
mtbkym01

Displaying NIB kits (or even empty boxes)

A question for the NIB collectors out there, how do you display your kit boxes, keen to see some collection displays.

and go.........

I don't display mine, I store them on the Fun Bank shelf high up in my workshop.

Two summers the neighbour's ivy plant climbed all up the external wall and got in under the rafters, went all thin and weedy and yellow while it searched for a light source, then shrivelled up and dropped sap all over everything.

I only noticed when I came in one hot morning to find every cobweb in the workshop absolutely saturated with aphids.  For a while we had the biggest and most obese spider population in the county.

Sap is a quick way to ruin some vintage kit boxes...

• Sad 3

Ouch!! If the boxes are knackered does that mean its time to build them? Is the real value in them being collectable "NIB" that the box is also in very good condition.

• Like 1

Buy a big roll of shrinkwrap tube or use gladwrap... wrap your exposed boxes to protect from dirt or drips :) 

• Like 1

There’s a hidden question about why we collect NIB here - but see the separate thread.

I keep mine the way Tamiya sold them - stacked, dry and out of direct sunlight. 

Shrink wrapping traps moisture and prevents a natural patina (proving its age) forming on older white box art. 

It also degrades itself with time - and can leave a small, waxy residue around pinch points. 

The only danger going old school is dust if left untended - which I don’t but is easily managed by (a) the temptation to take a look / clean (b) occasional rotation. 

If I had more space I’d display NIB in a sealed plastic case, with inserts as they left the factory and parts packs laid out in order on their correct sides :) 

• Like 1

I don't have many NIB kits, but the ones i do have are stacked in large cardboard boxes until i finish (eventually..) building the hobby room at the top of my house.

I went along to the local removal company and paid a few pounds for some of their large packing boxes, they are almost exactly the right dimensions to stack four kits in with ease. That way, they are dry and out of sunlight, but protected from damage until the day they can be displayed.

Like Superchamp, i also like to see the accessories and spares displayed along with the models they are from.

I’m seeing the word “stacked” here... don’t stack too many on top of each other. The bottom ones will end up with bowed sides on the boxes, which are tough to straighten up later. 

Suggest standing them vertically on shelves. ^_^

The office I had at my previous employer's facility had extra shelf space on the walls, so I had about 15 NIB kits on display there just to give the office some personality.  These were mostly the key re-releases with classic box art (Sand Scorcher, Buggy Champ, etc.).  I used to get questions, compliments, and laughs anytime I had a video call and people could see all these kits on display in the background.

Here at home I've been storing NIB kits in my daughter's bedroom for a few years.  She just finished college and married, so she's moving out permanently.  My wife and I are going to convert her room into a storage unit and declutter most of the house.  Fabric, sewing machines, NIB kits, NIP bodies, and other items are going in that room; we'll use some of the furniture for storage and probably invest in some more shelving units so it's all organized and off the floor.  This will help both of us in our respective hobby spaces immensely, as we'll have a lot more table space to do actual work and leave projects out in the open.