max69vk

Is this real? GF01 Monster Beetle...

All this talk of needing an improved WT01 or truck chassis and the annoying thing (like a lot of this) is that thry are nearly there already. My DT03 on truck wheels is an absolute blast and even has truck body body mount options on the chassis. 25 deg front kick up, plenty of hop up options, takes square packs and runs 3000-4000kv no problem at all. Rear track is possible a little narrow for some truck bodies, but suppling with tg10 axles would solve that. If you wanted *proper* truck sytle all it would need is a taller front tower for some longer shocks and a 'big tyre tuned' gearset with a 4t bigger spur gear so the fixed motor holes could run 13t/15t pinions to drop the gearing for running monster truck wheels. Given some people seem to have issues with the front ends maybe a beefed up tub, but fundamentally they could very easily make a lot more of the DT03T platform by changing or adding about 2 completely new parts and swapping in 2 or three others from the parts catalougue. Add some nice bodies and some historical context like a modern F150 called Blackfoot 4 and there you go. Great handling attractive truck as a vessel for lots of cool bodies. 

Again with the off road, with all this amazing new toueing car tech its a shame some of it doesn't translate. I had a little look into it but a modern DB03 based on the TB05 would need a new lower front gearbox with 10 deg kick up, TRF/DB series arms and uprights (they are still good) some new towers from buggy shocks and ideally a longer chassis tub for around 280mm wheelbase and a longer prop shaft to suit. As per above, 5 brand new parts (four of them very minor) the rest from the parts catalogue, boom, decent club racer buggy for around £200 for the kit. And this is to name but two. So many easy wins in the offroad range for so little effort. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

My DT03 on truck wheels is an absolute blast and even has truck body body mount options on the chassis. 25 deg front kick up, plenty of hop up options, takes square packs and runs 3000-4000kv no problem at all. Rear track is possible a little narrow for some truck bodies, but suppling with tg10 axles would solve that. If you wanted *proper* truck sytle all it would need is a taller front tower for some longer shocks and a 'big tyre tuned' gearset with a 2t bigger spur gear so the fixed motor holes could run 13t/15t pinions to drop the gearing for running monster truck wheels. Given some people seem to have issues with the front ends maybe a beefed up tub, but fundamentally they could very easily make a lot more of the DT03T platform by changing or adding about 2 completely new parts and swapping in 2 or three others from the parts catalougue. Add some nice bodies and some historical context like a modern F150 called Blackfoot 4 and there you go. Great handling attractive truck as a vessel for lots of cool bodies

I can picture someone at Tamiya reading what you wrote and then saying to the office "Hey guys, I've got a great idea!  Tamiya Blackfoot Xtreme re-release."  :lol:

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Blista said:

I can picture someone at Tamiya reading what you wrote and then saying to the office "Hey guys, I've got a great idea!  Tamiya Blackfoot Xtreme re-release."  :lol:

I can't say i would be upset about that! 

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

My DT03 on truck wheels is an absolute blast

Totally agree, it's pretty ironic! The DT03 makes a better truck than the dedicated trucks! 

They were happy to put monster wheels on the DT01 but not the vastly superior DT03 for some reason.

Like you say, a few minor alterations would help, bigger front shock tower so it has the longer dampers at the front too and a little beefing up here and there but it has a ton of potential.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Totally agree, it's pretty ironic! The DT03 makes a better truck than the dedicated trucks! 

They were happy to put monster wheels on the DT01 but not the vastly superior DT03 for some reason.

Like you say, a few minor alterations would help, bigger front shock tower so it has the longer dampers at the front too and a little beefing up here and there but it has a ton of potential.

I was thinking about buying an Aqroshot or a MadBull.... Maybe I'll give the DT03 a try... ;)

14 minutes ago, TDanny said:

I was thinking about buying an Aqroshot or a MadBull.... Maybe I'll give the DT03 a try... ;)

Aqroshot is a DT03. Comes complete with the truck wheels. Just ditch the rubbish kit tyres for some Schumacher Stagger Rib fronts and Mini spike rears with foam inserts and you have a brilliant truck for running on grass and dirt

Or fit a set of Mad Bull wheels and tyres, which also suit it well:

2019-05-20_06-28-16

2019-05-20_06-37-21

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Or fit a set of Mad Bull wheels and tyres, which also suit it well:

2019-05-20_06-28-16

2019-05-20_06-37-21

Looks sweet... will the stock gearing handle it? 

1 hour ago, TDanny said:

Looks sweet... will the stock gearing handle it? 

Easily, yes. With a steel pinion, even more so. Modern brushless motors prefer a longer rollout, and this suits 13.5t just fine.

I like the new MB Trail, and I'm confident that Tamiya will sooner or later release a Comical Sand Scorcher too, but hopefully not with the QD-body. And to chime in with JMo, I've worked on (and off) on a WR-02 with Sand Scorcher body for some time. Actually with several different themes, but the one I've worked the most on is a "Red Baron Bug". However, unlike JMo, I've struggled with the shortening of the body. So though I haven't dropped the Sand Scorcher-bodied WR-02, I did an M01/M02/M03/M04 + WR-02  parts bin special, topped with a vintage Kyosho Wheelie Beetle body. As the original Kyosho Wheelie models came with the body post and antenna holes prepunched, I chose to use them instead of making additional holes for the WR-02 body posts. Still not painted as I can't decide on colours and I just have two unpainted ones of the Kyosho Beetle body, but you get an idea. Wheels are M-chassis Beetle type, widened with rings cut from Wild Ceptor wheels in the rear. As I wanted an old school look, I opted for GB-01/-02 front tires and aftermarket SRB rear tires, "early dune buggy"  style. I kept as many WR-02 parts on the (WR-02) chassis as possible, but had to use M03/M04 suspension arms front and rear and TTG dampers up front for clearance.

PS: The dust is an indication for how long this project has been dormant and I didn't notice that the dummy engine wasn't sitting straight with its temporary one screw.:wacko:

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

• Like 4