Turbo051

Best esc for 6.5t motor

Recommended Posts

Looking into esc’s as my current one went pop due to me going 6s l,

my current setup is quicrun 6.5t motor with a quicrun 10BL120 esc but I recently have gone 6s which i new wouldn’t hold the power but just wonder what would be the best esc to run with my 6.5t motor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6s esc`s are large I`m afraid. You can get 4s esc`s that are not much bigger than a regular 2s esc. 

I like Hobbywing so if I should name one 6s esc it will be Ezrun MAX8 V3. Costs about $120.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hobbywing EzRun Max6. While the Max8 is 6S rated, it might be struggling unless the setup is balanced. You will also find that the added weight of a Max6 will come in handy, so install it as far forward as possible. 

But let me ask you something. When you have a motor that is only built to handle 2S power and that is when properly set up with the right pinion, what do you expect to happen when you feed it three times the power? I would be surprised if that motor survived one pack. It might if you really baby it, but you're so far above what it was designed for. This goes in terms of rpm, voltage and current.

Have you considered that the motor is just as much of a weak link here, if not more so than the esc? I believe those motors are rated for 60k rpm or so, but you want to do twice that. There's a good chance it will litterally rip itself apart at that rpm. That is of course unless it burns up before you get to full power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The castle mamba range will run 6s (I think), if it'll run a 6.5t (6700kv ish, without boost/timing),is anyone's guess!

One thing to bare in mind, when i popped the 5700kv motor on 5s, it took the motor, esc ,2s Lipo and 3s Lipo out with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

The castle mamba range will run 6s (I think), if it'll run a 6.5t (6700kv ish, without boost/timing),is anyone's guess!

One thing to bare in mind, when i popped the 5700kv motor on 5s, it took the motor, esc ,2s Lipo and 3s Lipo out with it.

They make a 6900 kv but not a 6700 kv. I think if you put 6S on that 6900 kv motor, it will be a very short run. 160000+ rpm and 6S on a motor that is built to handle 2S. As you said, your 5700 kv motor on 5S wiped out your ESC, packs and motor. Stepping up to the 6900kv or even staying with the 5700 kv on 6S, will result in the same destruction, but probably even more violent. I don't know of any manufacture that makes a 540 style motor capable of handling the power with those kv numbers.

The only motor I can think of off the top of my head with similar kv numbers that MIGHT handle the voltage and current would be the TP 2920 8D. It's a 5520 kv motor rated for 14.2 volts. Funny thing is that the little TP 2920 has almost twice the power of the 6.5T Hobbywing motor.

But again, I suspect that 115k rpm for that 5520 kv TP might be on the destructive side of things as well.

All in all I can't say that I have loads of confidence of seeing this 6S sdventure end well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DK308 said:

They make a 6900 kv but not a 6700 kv.

That was just a guesstimate, close enough 😂

Not much will stay together at those rpm's,  I think mine didn't get anywhere near the full rpm, and it was heat that did the damage (it ran 59mph and I wanted the magical 60, so did 5 passes back to back, each getting slower, should have stopped after the first...😬

It all depends if the motor can reach its full rpm,( that's if the volts don't melt it first) I run a 4.5t in my K1, the esc has max rpm data log, with bald tyres on a dusty workshop floor 64k , with mini pins on astro turf 43k.

I only used elecs I had, if I was buying parts to go 6s, I'd go lower on the kv, make sure it's 4 pole , earth magnets etc, a 3800kv castle would still give 85k rpm, still should be enough for giggles in a Lunchie.

Whatever you do, make sure the camera is rolling!! 😎👍

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quicrun 6.5t as in a 540 size motor? That's pushing it on 3S. With any sane gear ratio it's going to be on the verge of overheating with 3S even with a decent fan. To run a 6.5t on 3S reliably you need about a 200A ESC and a powerful motor fan, then adjust your gearing to keep motor temps under control. 

On 4S don't expect anything more than a single speed run before you need to stop and let the motor cool off. 5S+ is instant meltdown territory. If you want more power you need to look to a physically larger motor for reliability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

That was just a guesstimate, close enough 😂

Not much will stay together at those rpm's,  I think mine didn't get anywhere near the full rpm, and it was heat that did the damage (it ran 59mph and I wanted the magical 60, so did 5 passes back to back, each getting slower, should have stopped after the first...😬

It all depends if the motor can reach its full rpm,( that's if the volts don't melt it first) I run a 4.5t in my K1, the esc has max rpm data log, with bald tyres on a dusty workshop floor 64k , with mini pins on astro turf 43k.

I only used elecs I had, if I was buying parts to go 6s, I'd go lower on the kv, make sure it's 4 pole , earth magnets etc, a 3800kv castle would still give 85k rpm, still should be enough for giggles in a Lunchie.

Whatever you do, make sure the camera is rolling!! 😎👍

 

If you really want to get it rolling, I think the TP 4050CM in a 3800 kv version would be fun. It is rated for 5S and 80k rpm, but I'm sure that it would handle a few speed runs on 6S on such a light rig. The neat thing is that the motor can be had with a 24 mm shaft length which means that a normal 10 tooth pinion with a 5mm bore could be used. 

Not sure what the top speed would be, but it would definitely have the torque to get there quickly.😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, nbTMM said:

A quicrun 6.5t as in a 540 size motor? That's pushing it on 3S. With any sane gear ratio it's going to be on the verge of overheating with 3S even with a decent fan. To run a 6.5t on 3S reliably you need about a 200A ESC and a powerful motor fan, then adjust your gearing to keep motor temps under control. 

On 4S don't expect anything more than a single speed run before you need to stop and let the motor cool off. 5S+ is instant meltdown territory. If you want more power you need to look to a physically larger motor for reliability.

Yup. That's the 5750kv motor he wants to run 6S on. 

The question is not whether or not it will live, because it won't. The question is will it go China Syndrome and short everything in the process, or will it blow apart in spectacular fashion. 

At any rate, I support the idea of it being filmed.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

If your going with the ezrun max 8 there is also a combo with motor for 195.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-ezrun-max8-waterproof-brushless-esc-motor-combo-2200kv-hwa38010401/p520594

2200kv is not exactly what he needs and that motor cannot be made to work in the LB. Shaft is 5 mm and will not fit the pinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Bluecat68 (51 years old)
  • Member Statistics

    49205
    Total Members
    972
    Most Online
    Figit090
    Newest Member
    Figit090
    Joined