TDanny

Monster Beetle gearbox fix

Hello Guys,

Last week I picked up a Monster Beetle Re-Re. It's really a nice truck but I have no experience with these type of cars at all.

I read about a lot in the past few days and based on the lot of topics and videos I made my decision to build it straight from the box and see how long it will last and what will be needed to upgrade in the future.

I'm only doing one upgrade and that is shimming the diff gear in the gearbox. I bought the traxxas part number: 1985 shimms.

My question is that do I need to put shimz on both side of the diff gear or ponly one needed?

THX in advance,

Daniel

i bought some clamps off a tamiya club member (i did a fitting guide)

i'm running a sport tuned

the issue is that as power goes into the diff, the diff cogs being angled try and try and push the gearbox apart and then slip

JJ

Edited by Problemchild
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have a look at the MIP ball diff too, it solved almost all the problems in my MB with the weak gearbox. Just not the drive shaft popping out issue. I had read somewhere MIP may be working on telescoping drive shafts that would make the ORV transmission bullet proof, but no word in quite a while.

The drive shafts pop out because the way the trailing arm is fitted is a pretty poor design

The thing about the ball diff is that it costs as much as half a whole new beetle :(

the clamps are working ok for me

i don’t have the tyres glued and they provide almost a slipper clutch effect to protect the gear box 

I’ve just transferred my brushless set up into the beetle and it’s all holding up ok

JJ

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Problemchild said:

The drive shafts pop out because the way the trailing arm is fitted is a pretty poor design

The thing about the ball diff is that it costs as much as half a whole new beetle :(

the clamps are working ok for me

i don’t have the tyres glued and they provide almost a slipper clutch effect to protect the gear box 

I’ve just transferred my brushless set up into the beetle and it’s all holding up ok

JJ

Yes, it is a bit pricey IMO. Should be under $40, but once its in the car, it should be the last diff the MB ever sees.

I put one shim in my Blackfoot (same as a Monster Beetle chassis) and has been fine with a 17.5 brushless in it.