Sign in to follow this  
njmlondon

Quietest ESC / Motor combo?

So I absolutely hate the whiny noise that my ESCs make. It goes straight through me like nails down a blackboard. When I am driving fast it seems OK, drowned out by the motor and I also typically end up further away. But when I drive more slowly they make awful whiney noises. At the moment I am brushed only with HPI / Modelsport / Tamiya ESCs.

Just interested to know what is out there that may be a lot more pleasant on a gentle Summer day pottering around.

• Like 1

Sounds is probably going to be pretty subjective.  On my DN01, I have a Tekin RS Gen2 ESC with a Trinity 24K 17.5 and it sounds like a whisper compared to other cars I've been around at the track.

In my experiance, brushless is much more quiet compared to brushed.

At full rpm and no load, a brushed motor makes a lot of noise from the brushes/rotor crossing.

A brushless does not have this, I'm always checking if they are actually turning at high rpm no load, because I 'miss' the high pitch noise.

• Like 1

Sensored brushless is about as quiet as you're going to get. The whining sound you hear is usually the motor. Same goes for the beeps you hear during turn on and programming.

So all in all it is what it is and brands or models won't really matter. But try a sensored brushless system, it's about as smooth and quiet as you're going to get.   

• Like 1

Agreed - sensored brushless is significantly quieter than brushed. Of the brushless ESCs I have tried, the fan-less Tamiya TBLE-02 is the quietest, followed by the Hobbywing Quikrun 1060 and Speed Passion Reventon R, both of which have fans which make a bit of a whooshing noise.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Agreed - sensored brushless is significantly quieter than brushed. Of the brushless ESCs I have tried, the fan-less Tamiya TBLE-02 is the quietest, followed by the Hobbywing Quikrun 1060 and Speed Passion Reventon R, both of which have fans which make a bit of a whooshing noise.

The Quickrun 1060 is a brushed esc. Not sure the Tamiya ESC you mention is sensored. A good and cheap esc capable of running a sensored brushless system, is the EzRun Max10. The brushless Quicrun 10bl60 and 10bl120 are only sensorless.

30 minutes ago, DK308 said:

The Quickrun 1060 is a brushed esc. Not sure the Tamiya ESC you mention is sensored. A good and cheap esc capable of running a sensored brushless system, is the EzRun Max10. The brushless Quicrun 10bl60 and 10bl120 are only sensorless.

Sorry, 10BL60, not 1060. I left out the BL. Not the first time I've done that... :P

The TBLE-02 and 10BL60 are most definitely sensored, and the 10BL120 can run as sensored or sensorless. 

I'm not sure if any brushed ESCs are still available with programmable drive frequency (1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz), but higher frequencies can help quiet down a motor some.  Brushless is definitely quieter than brushed; some of my old Novak gear had programmable drive frequencies too.

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Sorry, 10BL60, not 1060. I left out the BL. Not the first time I've done that... :P

The TBLE-02 and 10BL60 are most definitely sensored, and the 10BL120 can run as sensored or sensorless. 

You're right. However, the 10bl60 actually comes in a non-sensored version. 

Anyways, sensored brushless is as quiet as it gets.🙂

22 minutes ago, DK308 said:

You're right. However, the 10bl60 actually comes in a non-sensored version. 

I didn't know that. The only version we have available around here is the sensored one, along with the WP-10BL60, which despite the similar name, is a totally different ESC.

22 minutes ago, DK308 said:

Anyways, sensored brushless is as quiet as it gets.🙂

Agreed! :)

My TBLE02S whin

6 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I'm not sure if any brushed ESCs are still available with programmable drive frequency (1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz), but higher frequencies can help quiet down a motor some. 

This. If you can find one with 16kHz or higher drive frequency then the high pitched whine from the motor when at low throttle will be inaudible unless you have very good hearing! 

Both my TBLE02S and Trackstar GenII 120A escs must switch at only a few kHz because they emit a few kHz tone from the motor when at low throttle.

The disadvantage of higher drive frequency is slightly lower efficiency of the ESC which will make it run hotter (probably by a negligible amount).

Awesome thanks for all the replies.

I am happy to spend a decent amount on the motor and ESC - it is for my Bruiser. I sometimes drive slowly almost like a crawler but also have a golf course I like to drive on where you can really shift. As such I have a Sport Tuned in it right now.

Are there any particular combos anybody would recommend. I am guessing c3500KV will give me Sport-tuned punch.

I am off to research brushless and in particular the difference between sensorless an sensored. If there is a duffers guide out there do let me know.

11 hours ago, njmlondon said:

Awesome thanks for all the replies.

I am happy to spend a decent amount on the motor and ESC - it is for my Bruiser. I sometimes drive slowly almost like a crawler but also have a golf course I like to drive on where you can really shift. As such I have a Sport Tuned in it right now.

Are there any particular combos anybody would recommend. I am guessing c3500KV will give me Sport-tuned punch.

I am off to research brushless and in particular the difference between sensorless an sensored. If there is a duffers guide out there do let me know.

If you want to treat your Bruiser to a sweet combo, here's one that is pretty hard to beat. 

Hobbywing EzRun Max10 120SCT esc.

Tekin Pro4 3300kv sensored motor.

That will be a quiet and extremely smooth running combo that will really wake up the Bruiser. This combo will definitely be well worth some lipo packs. The Antix 7.6 v LIHV 5200 mah stick packs would be an awesome fit.

This combo would also be 3S capable if you really feel like torturing your Bruiser. Not sure I'd go there, as the gearbox is not really built for 3S power. 

Try a Holmes BRXL and whichever 5-slot motor you want. Very, very torquey and near silent. It's a popular crawler combo because it's so quiet and powerful.