TurnipJF

CC-01 Pajero scale?

We all know that the Tamiya CC-01 Pajero Metal Top Wide is sold as a 1/10 scale model. However we also all know that Tamiya tend to play a little fast and loose with scale at times to make body shells fit standard chassis dimensions, so this might not be entirely accurate. Does anybody know the exact scale of said model?

According to Wikipedia, the 2nd generation (1990's) Shogun/Pajero 3-door SWB had a wheelbase of 2,420mm (95.3 inches) - making the CC-01 version (as I recall at 242mm) pretty much bang-on 1:10th scale.

Jx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The arches on the Tamiya body are (probably) quite a bit bigger than on a 1:1 car though, which is quite normal for an RC body.  AFAIK the biggest wheel size on a stock Pajero was a 18", not the scale 19" supplied with the Tamiya kit.  The Tamiya BFG tyres are way bigger than anything the Pajero ever left the factory with and the 1:1 equivalent probably wouldn't fit the 1:1 car without some modification.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

The arches on the Tamiya body are (probably) quite a bit bigger than on a 1:1 car though, which is quite normal for an RC body.  AFAIK the biggest wheel size on a stock Pajero was a 18", not the scale 19" supplied with the Tamiya kit.  The Tamiya BFG tyres are way bigger than anything the Pajero ever left the factory with and the 1:1 equivalent probably wouldn't fit the 1:1 car without some modification.

I agree - those Tamiya BFGoodrich tyres are 84mm diameter - so 840mm in 1:1, which is equivalent to a 33" tyre. 

Not impossible to fit on a lifted Pajero perhaps, but not stock as you say.

As I recall, that era Japanese 4x4s usually came with 15" wheels, sometimes 16" but that would be about it... 17"+ size wheels [from the factory] didn't really become popular prior to 2000.

Jenny x

I looked online and there was reference to an edition between 1990-1999 which had 18s, although I couldn't find a pic and don't recall ever seeing a stock 'jero on 18s.  I'd imagine it was a road-biased sporty number with lower-profile tyres.

15s were the choice of the day if you expected to go off road, 16s for the school run.