Sign in to follow this  
Juggular

2 axle CC01? (CC02?)

Tamiya doesn't have 2 axle crawlers in CC01 size.  (Juggernaut, TXT, and CR01 are larger 1/9th or 1/8th size.  TLT1 is smaller like 1/12th or 1/14th)   CC01 came out a quarter century ago.  Would it be silly for Tamiya to do CC-02 with another rigid axle?  That might give it better articulation at the front.  (In fact, the whole CMX, CFX came out thanks to Tamiya refusing to fill this niche)  

Tamiya is a corporation for profit. Putting red dye in Lunchbox is an easy way.  We love Tamiya not because they can make Lunchbox red or black.  Rather, it's because they gave us innovations to play with.  (I think that could be the corporate statement: "Innovations in your hands.")

There is a drive gear hanging down already.  A longer shaft can transfer power forward as well.  I want MST CFX (but lack of diffs bothers me).  I want Tamiya's answer to CMX.  

qDwl3Gw.jpg

• Like 3

What about the CR-01 series ?

Forget I said that, you've already mentioned it :blink:

I'd like to see a 6x6 in 1/10 scale. Built my own with a 3 speed gearbox in it, but as usual with my models, it weighs enough for 2 models, and the bodywork is very basic at best. I'd certainly like to be able to do another, but to be able to build it out of the box.

• Like 1

I've seen 3D printed front axle housings for CC01's come by. They use the same diffs, shafts etc. as the rear axle and with a few mods (and some cutting) can be fitted.

• Thanks 1

This is something I've been asking for for a while - the CC01 is a fab chassis and has done well to stay on Tamiya's line-up for so long, but it does have some fairly serious flaws and IMO is long overdue for replacement.

Tamiya have the 3-speeds for the very top-end trucks that look better than they go; there's now a slew of companies in the ladder chassis solid axle class (Axial, HPI, Vaterra, Carisma plus more), MST seem to have cornered the market on the smaller bodies (especially Tamiya) but if you want a light utility vehicle replica with realistic independent front suspension you're still stuck with having to bring an old CC01 into the modern age.  It's fun for those of us who love modifying the CC01 but can still be a bit soul-destroying when you realise the amount of time and effort and even cash you have to inject to end up with something that still doesn't perform that well.

I do love the look of the 3d-printed front axles and one day I intend to build one under my Land Cruiser body.

I personally think there's scope for a CC02, but sold in a variety of guises.  For example, include a parts tree and gear bags for independent front suspension on some models, another parts tree and axle parts bags for a solid front axle on others.  Have an adjustable wheelbase like the current CC01.  Keep a tub-style chassis for lower cost, easier build and to save people from having to fabricate their own floor panels and arch liners, but consider a hop-up consisting of metal chassis rails and plastic cross members and optional plastic arch liners and floor panels, for those who want to go that extra level.  Have longer shock travel as standard and put the shock hoops above the arches, not underneath them.  I suppose narrower, more scale-realistic shocks are out of the question on a budget chassis, although shortened TLT shocks would be about right (with original-length TLT shocks as part of a hop-up path).

I know I'm dreaming TBH - these days it would be hard to develop a chassis so versatile without massive investment, and nobody is going to do that while the CC01 is still selling well.  And if the CC01 stops selling well nobody on the board will say "it's because it's outdated and people are going to other manufacturers" - they'll say "it's because the market for light utility off roaders has fallen, so there's no value in developing a new chassis."  Well, that's my take on it, anyway :p 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's funny... everyone over here is clamoring for a straight-axle CC01, and meanwhile over at Scale Builders Guild there's a guy working on a 3D printed bolt-on IFS conversion for the Axial chassis.

I do like the idea of a design that can be built either way, and I don't think it's too hard to do. You could parts-bin engineer something from a scaler rear axle and a shaft-drive touring car front end, as long as the gear ratios match. A few brackets to mount the front suspension, and you're there. I would say it would be easier to do with a ladder frame than with a tub-type chassis. Tubs are really good at lowering the parts count, but if you're talking about interchangeable sub-assemblies, you're going to have a lot of parts anyway, and you'll score more points (figuratively and literally) in the scaler world with a truck-like frame. You could easily include provisions for almost any suspension configuration: links, leaf springs, leaf springs in back with links in front, links in back with IFS, and on and on.

Tamiya could absolutely do this with minimal new parts development. However, Axial could do it with basically none: stick a Yeti front end on an SCX10, and you're pretty much there. And I expect they will do it, especially if that home-brew conversion takes off (can't let the little guy beat you at your own game, right?). But man, I sure would like to see what such a chassis would look like from Tamiya, especially with some well-thought-out body choices (but no Lexan, thanks).

• Like 3