hanzo

Brushed motors and 'sparks'

When I look in the motor on the bench I can see yellow sparks when its running (forward and backwards).

Some people mention that if there are sparks either:

• motor has not been ‘run in’
  • brushes have worn out (replace brushes)
  • motor is dirty - run it in water to clean (?)
  • motor has debris inside - unassemble/clean/reassemble 

What is the general consensus on sparks being emitted from a brushed motor while it’s running?

Personally, I don’t see any issue.  It’s only a backyard runner and motor has low runtime. 

I guess as long as the sparks are not flying out of the motor or any smoke, it should be alright.

A degree of sparking is normal. If the sparks are small, there may not be any issue at all. Any chance of posting a video?

• Like 1

Yes, small sparks are fine. 

You could put in in water and run it for a minute. (preferably between 4V - 6V)  

Debris can get caught between commutator contacts.  If that's the case, cleaning can help.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

Debris can get caught between commutator contacts.  If that's the case, cleaning can help.  

This is good advice. A good cleaning in water is a great thing. There are several ways to do it. Personally, I have found that I get a better result by running it for a longer period in water slowly, than fast for a short time. I have made a "cleaning-pack" which is essentially a 3 cell nimh pack with 5000mah and motor leads soldered on rather than a battery connector.

Then I run it in demineralized.water for 20 minutes. 

Then I run it dry, spray motor cleaner into the running motor. Then when that has "gone through" the motor, I wipe it clean and oil the bearings. The step of running the motor while spraying it with cleaner I find to be very good for getting the last gunk out that was loosened by the water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Juggular said:

4 hours ago, DK308 said:

This is good advice. A good cleaning in water is a great thing. There are several ways to do it. Personally, I have found that I get a better result by running it for a longer period in water slowly, than fast for a short time. I have made a "cleaning-pack" which is essentially a 3 cell nimh pack with 5000mah and motor leads soldered on rather than a battery connector.

Then I run it in demineralized.water for 20 minutes. 

Then I run it dry, spray motor cleaner into the running motor. Then when that has "gone through" the motor, I wipe it clean and oil the bearings. The step of running the motor while spraying it with cleaner I find to be very good for getting the last gunk out that was loosened by the water.

Thank guys.  Great advise and something I can follow going forward.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hanzo said:

I guess small sparks, maybe nothing to worry about?

Yep, that much is nothing to worry about.  

• Thanks 1