netsmithUK

Tamiyaclub.com The Documentary

Because I've not got enough to do already, thought nows a great time to kick off this idea...

After years of trying to keep a low profile I decided it was time to step in front of the camera. Hope its not as painful to watch as it felt like doing it, but I thought if I was going to ask you to do the same then I should be prepared to do it myself. I'll post this to the main site and the forums tonight and if you watch it and think "I'd like to be part of that" then please complete this google form

https://forms.gle/ko53mNNPJTmep1848

Lots of details to work out, so just really trying to gauge interest at this point. Let me know what you think of the project (not my rabbits/headlights presentation style)

Click the image to play ( if that doesn't work you can see it at http://www.netsmith.co.uk/tcdoc1.mp4 )

Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 15.57.37.png

• Like 8

Love this idea.  Submitted.

For "link to profile page" does that mean forum profile page or member showroom?  Not that it matters - I'm sure you know how to find both from the username ;)

@Mad Ax Thats great - You are the first. I was beginning to think it would only be me. Your definitely in the catchment area and sounds like an ideal setup to come and film. Will be in touch.

• Like 1

Another thunk occurs - now I appreciate this is your baby, not mine, so feel free to ignore me, but IMO what made Tamiyaclub great was the bashes.  I actually missed the Kidderminster and Clumber meets by not really being that big on the forum then, but we used to do a lot in local parks down my way.  But instead of (or as well as) making the long journey around the world to meet all the posters, how about finding a track somewhere in the middle of the country, booking it for a weekend, and getting us all in one place?  As long as it didn't clash with any other big meets I'm sure you'd get enough uptake, because literally only Tamiya Junkies is doing this right now.

I keep toying with the idea of setting up a regular south-west meet but I need to get off my backside and find a friendly club...

I’m certainly up for another event but they get complicated once they pass a certain size. Let’s let take it into another thread so we can keep the two discussions distinct 

• Like 1

I think this is a great idea too!

As you say Chris, the final format is likely to unfold based on the number of people willing to take part... certainly I think the interview format is going to work well - it gives a structure, and helps people to feel at ease in front of the camera too (and not suffer the embarrassment of having to look directly at it like you had to! ;o) - most importantly, it allows you to control the content so that you can get a good spread of backgrounds/personalties and stories.

I can see a really nice hour long documentary - perhaps incorporating a history/time-line of the Tamiya brand, and some group activity too as Mad Ax suggests... equally, you could make it a series of shorter films (ie. 5-10 minute YouTube style), featuring a monthly interview/profile of individual members - that might be easier for the membership (and wider audience) to consume on a regular basis - although equally, we're all nerds when it comes to RC stuff, so an hour long self-contained film ought to serve the concept just as well?

Looking forward to what you come up with!

Jenny x

ps. I'm based in the US now of course, but if you do ever feel it's worth the journey over to meet some of the US members* - not least people like ToyKid (Knight Customs) who have grown a business out of their association and enthusiasm for Tamiya over the years - then I might be persuaded to take part in some minor capacity too if appropriate.

*I imagine that would work best with regard to time constraints as a group interview based around an RC event/show for example?

• Like 1

@JennyMo thanks for the feedback. I'm owed a holiday or two, so I'm looking at least a couple of international trips if enough people are interested are in a given area then at this point no where is 'too far'. So, if you are interested, then fill in the form https://forms.gle/ko53mNNPJTmep1848 and encourage others near you to do the same please :)

I really want to make the best job of this I can, so the more people involved the better. 

Cheers

Chris

I shall tag @Toykid, @Shodog and @Pintopower to name but three!

for info. there is the RC4WD West Coast Scale Challenge in October this year (25-27th), which I'm hoping to attend with my motley collection - so that might be the perfect excuse for you to come over to California and meet up with members, and visit a few industry bods too perhaps?

Jenny x

Love the idea ( no, camara-shy ;p ) .. and to far off ..

But.. as viewed from my "side" ( and .. tc in that )..

You **should** find some or.. COULD find some way to incorporate the advantages made in the last decade ..

We went from casting , cnc milling, manual laths..  to reproducing / building with those 3d printers to do the hard to get vintage parts or entire new one's.

( could also incorporate the battery stuff that really improved over the years.. the radio gear.. ect.. ) 

sort of .. "evolution" ( and, the members going with it.. or some.. who elected to stay old-school ;p )

@Stefan hoping all those topics will be covered in the discussions with people that know a lot more about it than me! Would love to have some people on board doing this fancy new stuff. 

Chris

• Like 2

love the idea. I am on the other end of the earth, but would be happy to help in anyway.

Because so much has changed, not only with technology, but they way we communicate and interact now, I think you will get a lot of different stories coming out, it should be very interesting.

Excellent idea! The presentation looks great so far :)

My curiosity was piqued by the last paragraph in the members' e-mail:

301iyl3.jpg

Do you know something that the rest of us don't? ;)

Got to say loving all the forms submitted so far. Got enough already to easily beat my 5 min lower estimate ;) All of the responses so far have been exactly the sort of thing I was after.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

@Grastens Don't even go there, last time I talked/april fooled about rereleases it got me in lot of trouble.  I think I meant to say Super Astute, but I've asked modelsport to clarify

Chris

6 hours ago, netsmithUK said:

@Grastens Don't even go there, last time I talked/april fooled about rereleases it got me in lot of trouble.  I think I meant to say Super Astute, but I've asked modelsport to clarify

Chris

Ahh,  i remember that ! :)

A mini riot it was * grin *

Total sideline..  ( warning, this might not be your first choise for music..  however... )...   ->

If you read the description  ( when finished headbanging and pillaging your neighbors ) , they did this video-clip with mixed in "fan video" ( mostly the glass raising you see )

.. ** could be a option to also incorporate the members from all over the word we have **

• Like 1

10 hours ago, netsmithUK said:

@yogi-bear get your name down on the list!

done

I bet you end up with so much footage you'll be more worried that's it way too long :D

• Haha 1

I've put a map together of places I've been invited. Its just based on those people that have completed the form, so if you want to be part of it be sure to complete it (Sorry to keep banging on about the form, but I won't have time to trawl through all the comments looking for people that have volunteered that way)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1hLjZuRbybKKjS1o-PrVPhsk5BVS_OF8d&ll=14.264909927559422%2C-110.04085315000009&z=2

I just filled in the form :) I'm from the Netherlands, so logistically that might be an issue. Maybe it's a possibility for people to film stuff themselves if they have some decent equipment at least and there's some alignment on settings/quality/setup/lighting etc.? I have mics, lights and a few decent camera's to film stuff myself if needed.

@Tizer remote contributions are definitely something I want to explore - I'll be in touch.

I see you might be in the Midlands. I'd be happy to travel to take part. Currently have clodbuster, WR02 vw wheelie, the qd thunder dragon speed run car a NIB Porsche 40th anniversary. And my boys each have a lunchbox. Be good to get the views of a 5 year old and 7 year old.

Great idea !

TC is an international club - an international doco would be fitting.

Filled the form out - in Australia .