Dirt-540

Brushless Motor & ESC recommendations

Looking for recommendations on a brushless motor and esc for my Tamiya Boomerang. It will be used for racing so want something reliable. Am not much cop at soldering so ideally want something thats plug and play. Bear in mind the buggy will be getting quite modified over time, plus Ive driven plenty of powerful set ups that out do the chassis in terms of class and I haven't had any failures due to my careful input.

3 hours ago, Dirt-540 said:

Looking for recommendations on a brushless motor and esc for my Tamiya Boomerang. It will be used for racing so want something reliable. Am not much cop at soldering so ideally want something thats plug and play. Bear in mind the buggy will be getting quite modified over time, plus Ive driven plenty of powerful set ups that out do the chassis in terms of class and I haven't had any failures due to my careful input.

What are the class rules? Do you need a programmable ESC or is it blinky? Or if mod, what sized track?

ESC - cheap end you can't look past the SkyRC TS120. It is fully programmable and can handle 5.5T motors in 4wd offroad, runs blinky or mod. I run one and its been great, many others I know run them in onroad and offroad.

Hobbywing are good but more expensive. If you need boost and turbo then you are looking at the XR10 Pro which is brilliant but pricey. If blinky then they have cheaper like the Juststock or XR10 Stock.

Otherwise any name brand is good - Orca, Orion, Tekin etc

Motor - I'm liking the Surpass Rocket V4S, its impressive for the price, loads of torque so had to gear up. The Surpass 17.5T won't be great in a Boomerang as you can't gear properly, I suspect the Surpass 10.5T would match the Boomerang with a 17T pinion, or go lower turns with lower pinion.

If you need higher turns for class rules look at the Orca Blitreme, it revs high and needs lower gearing as a result so you should be able to get it going well in13.5T or maybe 17.5T at a push. I run the 17.5T blitreme with Orca B32 in my 4wd stock buggy, but the FDR is around 5.5 - 6 which you can't get with the Boomerang.

If its mod then any motor will do - match the turns to the available FDR and wind up the boost.

11 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What are the class rules? Do you need a programmable ESC or is it blinky? Or if mod, what sized track?

ESC - cheap end you can't look past the SkyRC TS120. It is fully programmable and can handle 5.5T motors in 4wd offroad, runs blinky or mod. I run one and its been great, many others I know run them in onroad and offroad.

Hobbywing are good but more expensive. If you need boost and turbo then you are looking at the XR10 Pro which is brilliant but pricey. If blinky then they have cheaper like the Juststock or XR10 Stock.

Otherwise any name brand is good - Orca, Orion, Tekin etc

Motor - I'm liking the Surpass Rocket V4S, its impressive for the price, loads of torque so had to gear up. The Surpass 17.5T won't be great in a Boomerang as you can't gear properly, I suspect the Surpass 10.5T would match the Boomerang with a 17T pinion, or go lower turns with lower pinion.

If you need higher turns for class rules look at the Orca Blitreme, it revs high and needs lower gearing as a result so you should be able to get it going well in13.5T or maybe 17.5T at a push. I run the 17.5T blitreme with Orca B32 in my 4wd stock buggy, but the FDR is around 5.5 - 6 which you can't get with the Boomerang.

If its mod then any motor will do - match the turns to the available FDR and wind up the boost.

Rules are very relaxed as its open. Dont think i need programmable. Unsure what blinky, FDR and mod are?

I think 10.5t is what im after. I checked out the Surpass rocket v4s motor and skyrc esc, both only available in hong kong. Am I right in saying im looking at about £100 if i buy both? Would i be better off buying a Hobbywing combo that retail for about 75-80?

• Like 1

I really rate the hobbywing 10bl120 ESC. If you don't want to solder then buy from a shop that offers the service. Modelsport offer a soldering service for about 5 pounds, for example. Get a DT03 17t steel pinion and that will sort gearing and durability. See what 10.5 motors your chosen shop has. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I really rate the hobbywing 10bl120 ESC. If you don't want to solder then buy from a shop that offers the service. Modelsport offer a soldering service for about 5 pounds, for example. Get a DT03 17t steel pinion and that will sort gearing and durability. See what 10.5 motors your chosen shop has. 

I will look into these 10bl120esc. The DT03 17t is okay with the Boomerang? I havent actually got my Boomerang (awaitjng delivery) yet so dont actually know what pinion comes with it as standard, do you happen to know?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dirt-540 said:

I will look into these 10bl120esc. The DT03 17t is okay with the Boomerang? I havent actually got my Boomerang (awaitjng delivery) yet so dont actually know what pinion comes with it as standard, do you happen to know?

It will likelt come with 15t, but the 17t gearing is good for brushless. Both cars are 0.8mod.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dirt-540 said:

Rules are very relaxed as its open. Dont think i need programmable. Unsure what blinky, FDR and mod are?

I think 10.5t is what im after. I checked out the Surpass rocket v4s motor and skyrc esc, both only available in hong kong. Am I right in saying im looking at about £100 if i buy both? Would i be better off buying a Hobbywing combo that retail for about 75-80?

Blinky is when the ESC has no turbo or boost or dynamic timing programmed in. Its called blinky because most ESC have a light that flashes to show that it is in this mode and legal for a stock class so its a quick way for scrutineers to check.

FDR is final drive ratio. The Boomerang has 4 options from about 7.5 to 10.5 depending on the pinion gear. Modern cars have an unlimited range as you can change the pinion and sput to get anything. Check the manual on the page when you install the motor, it has a table. 

Mod is 'modified class', basically meaning the rules are open. Typically its the fastest class. It used to be the 10T brushed motors that needed heaps of maintenance, now its low turn brushless motors and a programmable ESC

Do you have a link to the Hobbywing combo? It will no doubt work fine but probably won't be that fast. I've seen them without any endbell timing on the motor and just a basic ESC for that money. That TS120 and Surpass combo will be as fast as anything out there at the moment, well maybe a bit slower than a combo for twice the price, but close enough. At the moment the Surpass motor is keeping up with the USD120 motors easily. About 12 - 18months ago the motors had a massive leap in performance, so anything older will be slower

On 5/25/2019 at 8:23 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Blinky is when the ESC has no turbo or boost or dynamic timing programmed in. Its called blinky because most ESC have a light that flashes to show that it is in this mode and legal for a stock class so its a quick way for scrutineers to check.

FDR is final drive ratio. The Boomerang has 4 options from about 7.5 to 10.5 depending on the pinion gear. Modern cars have an unlimited range as you can change the pinion and sput to get anything. Check the manual on the page when you install the motor, it has a table. 

Mod is 'modified class', basically meaning the rules are open. Typically its the fastest class. It used to be the 10T brushed motors that needed heaps of maintenance, now its low turn brushless motors and a programmable ESC

Do you have a link to the Hobbywing combo? It will no doubt work fine but probably won't be that fast. I've seen them without any endbell timing on the motor and just a basic ESC for that money. That TS120 and Surpass combo will be as fast as anything out there at the moment, well maybe a bit slower than a combo for twice the price, but close enough. At the moment the Surpass motor is keeping up with the USD120 motors easily. About 12 - 18months ago the motors had a massive leap in performance, so anything older will be slower

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-xerun-combo-xr10-js2-10-5t-black/rc-car-products/407832

or this one (though with this one im not sure which kv to choose)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-5400kv-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/420911

9 hours ago, Dirt-540 said:

Those won't be as good as a more race orientated setup, but could be fine, I have no experience with them.

Sensorless aren't generally used for racing as they don't have the same low throttle control as a sensored setup. They work well for bashing though as once they are moving they work ok. I have never used one though so can't give firsthand experience of them

The motor with fixed timing is aimed more at the hobby market than racing. Adjusting the timing on the motor is a way to control heat and rpm. It may be that the motor is set to the optimal timing but i suspect that its more conservative than that and will be slow. Timing makes a massive difference to performance of a motor.

I started out with a cheap trackstar setup which worked well, but once I was able to get around the track withoyt crashing I noticed how much slower my cars were, so I have upgraded. The SkyRC TS120 and Surpass V4S is my newest setup in one of my cars and I rate it highly, especially for the price. I will probably replace the others if I need to with the same (I don't expect to need to though, they are running pretty good gear anyway). Entirely your call obviously, for the occassional race the sensored Hobbywing combo you linked will probably be fine 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dirt-540 said:

They both look great, but i would suggest sticking with the first option 10.5. That motor is aroubd 4000kv which will be seriously quick in a Boomer. 5400kv is mega power. The most powerful motor i have ever haf is a 4400kv in my DT03 and it was insanely fast, and IMO too much (i have since sold it). I have a 3300kv motor in my much modified Thunder Dragon and that it now at a point where it feels like it could take a little more. 

Buying from modelsport also means you can ask them to dolder it and put battery plugs on. 

• Like 2