Good afternoon all. New to the site today. Probably a familiar story to a few. Back in 1979 me and a mate would hang around Beatties model shop in Newcastle watching the Tamiya video playing. The guy in the shop would demo the Sand Scorcher and we were hooked. Unfortunately they cost about ten years pocket money so owning one was just a dream. Fast forward 40 years and I’ve put one on my 50th birthday list so fingers crossed I might have one in less than a month. 

• Like 6

a very warm welcome to you.

i remember doing the same as you but in the dudley store.

a great kit to make a start with tbh i hope you get your b-day wish

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum.  Also my first re re choice ... when I started.

And remember: After the purchase is before the purchase. :D

Welcome to the top of the slippery slope....see you near the bottom.

• Haha 2

Welcome!

I have a re-re Scorcher, and I did enjoy building it and running it on the beach very much. I put an enormous amount of effort into painting it, and have thrown silly amounts of money at bumpers, wheels, lights,

and what have you. For the most part it's great and I'm happy, but....

The shell is from the Monster Beetle, and the rear mudguards have been re-moulded in such a way that the wheelbase is now 4mm too long for the body shell. The more I look at it, the more it niggles me

that they couldn't go the extra mile and get this right. I hate to put a dampener on your excitement, but please look at the side views of the re-re versus the original, and make sure you can live with it before you take the plunge.

Sorry to be negative, but I personally wish I'd put my money and effort into an original just because of this. It may not bother you one jot, but forewarned is forearmed as they say.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve already got two real VW money pits so hoping to keep this standard and simple. Time will tell.

I’ve got an old vw samba shell to practice paint on and I might make it fit the chassis.

B5AF4981-33CA-4C6C-ABB3-CDEDE1ED141B.jpeg

• Like 2

Enjoying the build. Don’t think the motor rubbers will seal very well. Might add some sealer.

C03540F2-AD79-413B-9549-6818B4AACE84.jpeg

I see there is a choice of high or low ratio gears. I’ve went for low. Does it make much difference? What would most people go for ?

22 minutes ago, Vinnyboy said:

This wet sand is a pig to get off

air blow gun + compressor helps with this task. also make sure to rinse the car with tap water and wd40 the exposed metal bits if coming into contact with saltwater.

another beach tip: temporarily cover the air breathing pin holes in the wheels with tape... otherwise the tyres can slowly get filled with fine sand. its a mission to empty them out, especially if you've glued the tyres on...

Welcome to the club and nice belated entry into Tamiya!

The Sand Scorcher is the king of blasting the beach! Yours is looking good, have fun!

• Thanks 1