graemevw

Decent ball connectors for turnbuckles.

Im getting a bit tired of replacing standard tamiya 5mm adjusters and balls on steering links and top arms.

Is there a better alternative? The tamiya reinforced ones, or any other makes that are a little cheaper?

I also need some m3 turnbuckles, 50mm, 64mm and 68mm or there abouts. Where is best to source them by size rather than by car?

I've swapped out all of the ballstuds on the cars I race for 4.8mm versions. You have way more choice in that size. I have reinforced plastic ballends from Kyosho on my TopForce, TA01 and M03. On others I've used MST ones from my drift cars.

• Like 2

Doesn't mix with 5mm though unfortunately. Maybe for a shelfqueen you could squeeze 4.8mm ballends onto a 5mm Tamiya ballstud but it won't move freely.

3 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Doesn't mix with 5mm though unfortunately. Maybe for a shelfqueen you could squeeze 4.8mm ballends onto a 5mm Tamiya ballstud but it won't move freely.

I cant remember if i still have any decent tamiya 5mm ball studs, if i havent, ill replace the balls too anyway.

Yeah racing 4.8mm rod ends are stout, but far more bulky than tamiya 5mm ones and take about 3x the force to get on/off the balls. The hole in the top has the advantage that you can unscrew the ball without removing the rod end if the ball is hex keyed. Disadvantage is that it lets dirt in.

These:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yeah-Racing-BN-0011-Nylon-Ball-End-Set-3-8-4-8-5-8/361763110989?hash=item543ac3004d:g:Ki4AAOSwGPNcUEWQ&frcectupt=true

For turnbuckles just take a gander through yeah racing or 3 racings websites and see if you can find something that fits the bill or can be cut to length, then search ebay for it. If you need the ultimate durability and lightness then don't do this as most of the cheap ones are fairly low grade steel, are heavy and bend easily.

• Like 1

I've found the 3Racing titanium turnbuckles to be good and reasonably priced (when I only needed a few).  They have a bunch of sizes. These have done a season on my TRF102 without any issues(except 42mm I think)

http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-3ractr365-titanium-turnbuckle-65mm-p-59953.html?cPath=421_368

I haven't tried them but am tempted by the price for a set for my TA07, you may even find a set covering all that you need

http://www.rcmart.com/titanium-turnbuckle-tamiya-ta07-p-80166.html?cPath=595_744_1857

• Like 1

What’s the issue with the Tamiya adjusters? Just asking as I’ve never had an issue on any of my Chassis.

On my TRF cars they have the hardened connectors and the Florine / alum and steel ball connectors where I deem them necessary.

13 hours ago, qatmix said:

What’s the issue with the Tamiya adjusters? Just asking as I’ve never had an issue on any of my Chassis.

On my TRF cars they have the hardened connectors and the Florine / alum and steel ball connectors where I deem them necessary.

The standard 5mm adjusters go baggy very quickly in my experience. Just looking for something that might stay tighter for longer.

• Like 1

Dubro do a range of captured ball ends, I’ve seen them in imperial (used recently on my RC10 restoration), I guess they’d have metric options also

46793808165_503e6b298c_k.jpg

• Like 1