Sign in to follow this  
Big Jon

DB01 Questions/New Here

Hi, guys. I'm new here; long time enthusiast. I've got a few Tamiyas in my collection: XV01, MF01X, M07, a couple of Blackfeet, G601, WR02, a re-release Super Astute (still in the box), a Dancing Rider... Anyway, I scored a partially built DB01 yesterday, and I've got a few questions.

Will the Leonis DB02 body fit? I really prefer the styling over the Durga and Baldre bodies.

I've already got the gear diffs. Is there anything else required for light-to-moderate running with 13.5 brushless power, either driveline or chassis?

Is the RR/RRR chassis the only one setup for square lipo?

Once I get my bits together, I'll do a build thread.

If you're installing gear diffs I think installing the double slipper clutch and reinforced belts is a good idea as well.  That will pretty much bulletproof the drivetrain with a mild 13.5T motor.  If you can find a RR chassis that would be a nice upgrade for the LiPo tray, but then you might have to install the optional heatsink to plug the hole in the chassis; it mounts from the bottom.  The alternative to the RR chassis is to replace the plastic battery strap with a TA05 carbon battery strap so a LiPo rides on top of the NiMH ridges in the stock battery tray.

If you're only doing light to moderate running then the plastic suspension mounts should be ok; I ran mine on asphalt and dirt with the plastic suspension mounts and a 4200kV motor.  I did have one crash where a rear mount flexed and the arm came loose, but in general they're ok.  Aluminum suspension mounts are available as upgrades.

The kit CVAs and springs are fine for light use; TRF buggy dampers or big bore dampers make more sense for track use where landing bigger jumps is the norm.

The kit dog bones are ok; CVDs and wide-angle steering hopups are available but make more sense with more power and track use.

Replace any 850 brass bushings with ball bearings; that will help the stock steering a little bit.  There are aluminum steering upgrades available, but in my opinion they don't make sense for a light runner.

A fairly kit-stock DB01 Durga was my favorite runner when I got into the hobby 9 years ago; I ran it with the ball diffs, single slipper, and stock plastic parts in the street quite a bit and took it to a clay track several times.  The quiet belt drive is a real treat, and the kit springs and CVAs are perfect for street bashing.  Enjoy it!

Welcome! I ran a DB01R last year forca while and its a great runner. I swapped to gear diff rear and a front one way so i would echo the above and say get at least the single slipper clutch, and better to get the double. 

I don't know if the Leonis body fits. A guy on TRF Off Road fitted a Team Azarashi Veloce to his. 

Unless racing i would just get a stick pack shaped lipo. I used a Core RC 4000mah stick lipo in mine and it was fun. 

The thing that transformed mine was stiffer front springs. I ended up with kit rear springs but the gold springs from the 53927 DF03 setting spring set on the front. They are about 4.5lb rate. On the black cva i would also recommend building with the 1 hole pistons and going for slightly heavier oil in the front shocks. After that, just some good tyres appropriate for the surface you run on. I run mainly on grass with the occasional astro track trip so used schumacher wide cut stagger front and mini spike rear. 

Let us know how you get on! 

I'm starting to think that I'll just find a DB01 RRR kit. Whoever assembled this one stripped out most of the screw holes, so a lot of the plastics will require replacement, and, by the time that I source the hop-ups that I want and replacement parts, the RRR starts to make sense. It's a shame, because this one had never been run (probably because everything was falling off). It's not a total bust, though. A cherry HPI Cup Racer was included in the deal, and I've been lusting after one of those for a while, too. 

There's a NIB Durga in stock at the hobby shop I work for, so that's an option too, although I really wish that they were higher spec out of the box. If I did the Durga, I'd still be looking at a $500 roller to make it the way I want it.