Sign in to follow this  
Hibernaculum

Tamiya items restricted in Japanese postage?

Has anyone heard recently that items posted from Japan are now being scrutinized more tightly for substances like modelling glue and damper oil?

<_<

I've been told (by a reliable Japanese collector I have known for over a decade) that these items are now outright prohibited from being posted via Japanese postal services, overseas to foreign countries. This potentially has an impact on things like Tamiya kits and many other model kits and supplies - in particular, think of kits that contain oil bottles under blisters, or otherwise packed. These items may end up being cut out of the kit, before it can be sent. This may potentially affect any Japanese retailer, large or small, that you buy from, anywhere (including eBay).

Here is Japan Post's list of prohibited items. I do not know if it has changed. (And how does it compare with other countries? Are they more restrictive, or the same?)

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/UGX/restriction_en.html

I have been told there is now a fine of up to 500,000yen (about US$5000) for any seller who ships items which break the rules - and this fine could conceivably be passed on to the buyer.

So if you want to buy a bottle of damper oil from Japan for $5, it will now cost you:

• $5 (Damper Oil)
  • + $5000 (Prohibited goods fine)
  • = $5005

Though it really makes me wonder, if general sellers or smaller traders are subject to these rules, how will larger retailers and producers get around it? All Tamiya kits still contain damper oil.

If this news is true, and these harmless substances are being cracked down upon (after the sheer chaos caused by decades of incident-free shipping)... then I think this is yet another sign the world has become, how might I say this... idiotic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

All Tamiya kits still contain damper oil.

Not the Grasshopper... ;)

It is pretty silly for them to get so serious about a couple of cc's of oil, in a bottle, which is in a bag, in a box, in another box. I can understand limitations on spray cans, or fuel, or batteries, but silicone oil? Pretty harmless stuff...

It wouldn't really affect me too much if they had to take it out of the kit. I have plenty of half-full bottles of genuine Tamiya shock oil sitting around, as well as lots of other options. But if you're looking for a complete kit, especially a vintage one, and looking to preserve the integrity of it, it is disappointing.

• Like 1

Sometimes the item I buy from Buyee will get flagged if the listing calls out the fluids in the listing. You can still purchase the item but the banned items will be removed before shipping. Like everything though there are exceptions and some stuff still makes it through.

• Like 1

Forget damper oil.  This is the real kick in the pants:

Other items deemed inapplicable by our company (including the items below):

• Collectibles and rarities

This means you cannot ship any vintage Tamiya kits whatsoever.  Unless you think they are not collectible or rare.
AND there is this little gem:

• ... filthy items that can damage the packages of others

Sure, they put it on the same line as explosives and other dangerous articles, but that could just be a formatting error and it should have been on its own bullet.

So, no, you cannot ship that disgustingly dirty Tamiya chassis to someone else.  Clean that thing up mister!

• Like 1

Is this restriction just with the Japanese postal service, or would it apply to any Fedex, UPS, DHL, EMS, etc. courier as well?  I mean, if you really need/want something, then paying extra shipping to an alternate courier might still be an option.

I also find it funny that they ban a lot of fluids but if you purchase a new kit they all have damper oil or grease and it get here no problem. It's all about how it is listed and the pictures.