Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

Educate me please - Onroad touring car setups. Shocks, ride height, etc

I am toying with doing another rear wheel drive road chassis mashup, but this time more road optimised than RR-03Ra (my TRF201 conversion) which is a rally car. That runs about 15mm ride height and is actually great for road bashing because stones and other bits don't jam under it. However, if i did build something a little more road focused, for running on asphalt rather than indoors, i need some education!

- Ride height? I often read about 5mm being the thing. Is that too low for street running? What about droop? I have read about adjusting to 1mm droop using screw stops, but i assume the shocks potentially allow more travel? How much? What's the stock ride height on a TT02 or TA07 without the droop stops in use, for example? 

- Shocks. I will start with CVA but would like scope for TRF shocks later. What length and stroke am i looking for? Mini shocks built to 55mm? Super mini shocks? 

- Wheels/tyres. RR-03Ra is pretty wayward on loose surfaces being rear wheel drive, but it has matched width 26mm rally blocks front and rear because i can't find another option. If i build a mid motor rwd chassis for on-road, seems to me i need some wider rears or narrower fronts whilst potentially all fitting under a 190mm touring car shell. Any ideas on what wheels and tyres to look at? 

Any other thoughts, tips and help gratefully received. Thanks. 

You might find some useful information in this setup sheet database:  http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/SetupSheetDataBase.htm#Tamiya

Browse through the on-road base setups and you'll get a sense of common ride heights, droop, spring rates, damper oils, camber/caster/toe settings, etc.

Hudy's setup book will give you some ideas of how certain adjustments affect the handling of the car:  https://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/proddwnld.php?prod_id=262&kategoria=0&Hudy_Session=ad396472a0ae3907c7da204bb19b58f6

If you want some specific measurements I have TB03 w/ TRF415 shocks, TB04 PRO (version 1) w/ short shocks, TA05v2 w/ TRF415 shocks, TA06R w/ short shocks, and TB EVO 6 for reference.  I can break out the calipers and give you some ballpark numbers if you like.

For general play in the street, I usually have more ride height (8 mm+) and more droop to cope with rougher surfaces and debris.

• Thanks 1

That's gonna be tough to get just so. My on-road cars work well with about 10mm clearance and springs from the Tamiya rally spring set. I usually run them on entirely unprepared asphalt, and would go lower and stiffer for parking lot racing. 

You may want to look into foams for a RWD touring car. You can find them as wide as 35mm.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I am toying with doing another rear wheel drive road chassis mashup, but this time more road optimised than RR-03Ra (my TRF201 conversion) which is a rally car. That runs about 15mm ride height and is actually great for road bashing because stones and other bits don't jam under it. However, if i did build something a little more road focused, for running on asphalt rather than indoors, i need some education!

- Ride height? I often read about 5mm being the thing. Is that too low for street running? What about droop? I have read about adjusting to 1mm droop using screw stops, but i assume the shocks potentially allow more travel? How much? What's the stock ride height on a TT02 or TA07 without the droop stops in use, for example? 

You may need to use shorter suspension arms to accommodate the proper damping travel, shocks and will also have to replace shorter shafts (dogbone or universal).

Ride height is subjective. Since you'll be using this mostly for bashing, I wouldn't recommend it to make it as low as 5mm at least 10-15mm. Making it too low will just scrape the under chassis on normal pavement. Unless you're only going to use this on a very even and smooth track, then you may go lower.

19 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

- Shocks. I will start with CVA but would like scope for TRF shocks later. What length and stroke am i looking for? Mini shocks built to 55mm? Super mini shocks? 

- Wheels/tyres. RR-03Ra is pretty wayward on loose surfaces being rear wheel drive, but it has matched width 26mm rally blocks front and rear because i can't find another option. If i build a mid motor rwd chassis for on-road, seems to me i need some wider rears or narrower fronts whilst potentially all fitting under a 190mm touring car shell. Any ideas on what wheels and tyres to look at? 

Any other thoughts, tips and help gratefully received. Thanks. 

In on-road, aluminum shocks are way obviously better than plastic. There is a huge difference in driving performance, dampening and maintenance as well. So investing on a good set of 55mm-60mm TRF shocks are really good. But like I said you will have to modify your suspension arms to shorter ones to accommodate these dampers.

As for the tires, standard is 190mm for on-road cars. You may either use Tamiya radial #50419 or super grip #53214 tires. HPI Radial tires for on-road are very good as well.

• Thanks 1