Sign in to follow this  
Jpmcdo

Tamiya TBLE-02S Help

Hi,

I'm in the process of putting together a Tamiya Defender 90 RC truck and am stuck at the point where you connect the electronics.  The ESC will not work.  I called TamiyaUSA and they were no help after several attempts to reset the ESC it still will not drive the motor.  I'm using a spektrum radio and receiver and the steering works fine.  I connected the blue ESC wire to the green motor wire and the yellow to yellow on the Tamiya service guys recommendation.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to work?  Tamiya refuses to stand behind their product and told me I have to deal with the vendor who is in Honk Kong.  I don't know if they will send me a new one or not.  The reset sequence the Tamiya rep tried me to do was to hold down set button on the ESC and turn the power switch on. I saw three lights, green, red and orange.  He said to release the set button when the light turned orange.  At that point I saw only the orange and green light.  He then said press it once when the light turns green.  Nothing worked.  He then said turn it off and back on and still nothing worked.  I receive a flashing green light and intermittent beeps.

Can any one help?

Thanks

The manual is easily found online. Follow the set up, make sure it is set to brushed mode (im assuming thats what your using).

• Like 1

He was right in his explanation, but it looks like he missed the final step.

Turn it on while holding the button down. As you did, release when orange. Then press when green. At this point, it should flash green. As it flashes green, you press the set button again to save the settings.

What you can do at this point is this. Try and plug in the ESC into the steering output on the receiver. This way you can make sure it is not your receiver or transmitter. If the ESC does not work, it will usually flash red.

Also check and see if the motor connection is good. Your chosen leads are correct. Green to blue and yellow to yellow.

Finally you can connect a battery directly to the motor simply by touching the motor lead plugs to the terminals in the battery. If the motor spins, make sure your motor and esc leads are properly put together. The Tamiya motor leads aren't exactly great.

Thanks,

ill try try it again.  Good suggestion on the switching from batt to steering. I did try pressing the set button again after the flashing green, but it starts beeping again. I appreciate the feedback.

I resolved my ESC problem.  I think it was between the car and the back of my chair.  I did not have the throttle connected to the throttle port on the receiver.  Real dumb move.  I've been flying RC planes for a few years and I don't know why I didn't think to connect the ESC to throttle.

But now I have an issue with the car.  If I give it the gas forward I hear a clicking sound for a few feet.  I'm wondering if the gears are not correctly installed?  Any ideas?

A clicking sound could be the dogbones in the drive cups.

Try this. Remove the tyres. Then place the car on a flat surface. Drive it slowly and push down on the car so that the A arms level out. See it it runs smoother. If the A arm angle is too great, or if the dogbones are too loose in the cups, they sometimes click or make a terrible grinding noise.

Thank you,

the noise only only happens when the vehicle is on the ground as opposed to the wheels hanging loose with a box to support the car.

i think I may have figured it out but I will try your suggestion.  I took the rear axel apart and I have no grease on the gears.  Don’t know why I skipped them but I did use every bit of what came in the box.  If the noise continues after greasing, I’ll try your suggestion.

jim

7 hours ago, Jpmcdo said:

Thank you,

the noise only only happens when the vehicle is on the ground as opposed to the wheels hanging loose with a box to support the car.

i think I may have figured it out but I will try your suggestion.  I took the rear axel apart and I have no grease on the gears.  Don’t know why I skipped them but I did use every bit of what came in the box.  If the noise continues after greasing, I’ll try your suggestion.

jim

You need to grease the gears.

Is it a CC-01 4wd chassis? If not, what's the part number for the kit?

It’s the CC-01.  I bought the Defender 90.  I have loved land rovers/ range rovers for as long as I can remember.  Well, actually pretty much any English vehicle except the reliant robin.  Jeremy Clarkson was hysterical driving one on top gear.