Sign in to follow this  
TDanny

TT02 vs TT01e for average use

His Guys,

I know that there are a lot of TT vs TT topics out there but I could'nt find much about the average durability of these two chassis. 

Now I found a nice TT02 Impreza MC 99 at my LHS.

I was'nt into on road RC since 20 years so I'm a bit confused. I know that TT01s are great and durable for street bashing but I like the TT02 better for the ground clearence.

Is the TT02 as durable as the TT01e? If I hand the controller to the kids will it hold up to the task?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

• Like 2

The major difference durability wise is in the drivetrain. In stock form the 01 has stronger diffs and a weaker propshaft while the opposite is true of the 02. There is also a bit of a strength difference in the front uprights, with the longer "kingpins" of the 02 being somewhat easier to break. Other than that, they are pretty much the same in terms of durability. 

• Thanks 1

Can't comment on the TT-01 but I rag a TT-02R around set up at Rally height on asphalt and short grass. The Rally block tyres give you a bit of extra height and clearance which helps with smaller stones and things and have only broken one rear wishbone from hitting a wall at 45 degrees... 

Spares are pretty cheap and plentiful plus you tend to get the same multiple parts on the same spru. Only issue I've had is that it fills with debris running off road but a quick shake upside down and all is good. 

Stick to the regular silver can motor and Nimh batteries and you'll not over stress the transmission either. 

The TT01 has cast aluminium diff gears if i'm not mistaken. While they may be stronger in the short term (support a higher power motor), in the long term they will probably wear out faster than the glass-fibre reinforced ABS plastic gears in the TT02. Cast aluminium gears create aluminium dust which pollutes the grease/oil and turns it into a grinding paste which only increases the rate at which the gears wear. They require more frequent servicing to clean and replace the polluted grease/oil, especially when they are new and 'wear in'. The TT02 glass-fibre reinforced gears don't appear to create any appreciable dust or have any wear from my experience. The TT02RR I have has cast aluminium diff gears and the diff oil does get polluted with alu dust over time. Haven't had any issues with gears or shafts breaking in my cars: one car has a 7.5t on 2S, other car has a 21.5t on 3S. The plastic TT02 driveshaft is perfectly fine, I wouldn't even bother upgrading it. I run aftermarket hardened alu pinions and nylon spurs - the aluminium spur provided in the kit is known to turn into aluminium dust at an alarming rate. I tossed the standard motor gears very early on because I wanted the cars to go a lot faster than standard.

Excepting aftermarket parts, I've needed to replace the upper TT02RR suspension arms, which are a far more fragile design than the normal non-adjustable TT02 arms. Also, I've replaced the front suspension arms and plastic ball joints after 20-30 packs or so because they wear out and become sloppy at the ball joint. They were still usable at that point but had enough slop that they were making the car noticeably less stable at 50kmh+.
A few wheel bearings have have died (gritty or completely locked up) after crashes at 50kmh+. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys...  I bought the car... :D

came with torqe tuned motor :D cant wait to put it back together.

• Like 3